Hurricane Harvey -- What's going on with sheltering? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hurricane Harvey -- What's going on with sheltering?

Is anyone in the affected areas able to report on what's going on in YOUR city with animal rescue? Is there a central holding area set up? Are they keeping dogs safe and well cared for? Do they have fans and shade? Vet care?

Please share your stories!

What I'm reading about Beaumont and Houston SPCA is pretty disturbing, but it's all just rumor at this point. I'd really like to hear from rescue volunteers what they're seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:39 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I can say in our area the shelter asked for volunteers to help if there were more dogs than the shelter could handle. Before the storm hit it was asked if anyone was looking for a new pet or could foster through the storm to come in. All the dogs were fostered or adopted, even the pet store in town took in two dogs to care for during the storm. We have dogs coming out of the river with no way of knowing if they are from the flooding in Texas or here in Louisiana. The sheriff who runs the shelter is sending out pictures of every dog that comes in and it's being shared by everyone through social media. People who have lost dogs in evacuation have posted to this area pictures of their dogs and we're sharing them as well as watching for them. One group of dogs we were able to find the owners. Social media - face book - has been the means for keeping everyone updated. People are volunteering to take in dogs, saying what breeds or ages they can do with what they already have at home. Yesterday several went in and cleaned out the shelter after the storm, literally cleaning it, not getting dogs. It needed to be cleaned before dogs could be put in. There is a good network here of people who work with rescue and they are working hard.
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just saw that Best Friends is circulating a petition to get Houston SPCA to guarantee a 30-day hold. It's astonishing to me that they have to push them on that. They have at least come back and guaranteed that they're not euthanizing animals (which was one of the worst rumors).

Last edited by Magwart; 09-03-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

They shouldn't have to. Here when we're volunteering to foster a dog(s), its for several months most likely, we're fostering displaced dogs in hopes of finding their owners. A time limit hasn't been set yet.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The Beaumont dogs are all going to Houston -- per this video interview:
https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.boss...type=2&theater
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Hard to listen to. Not sure I understand why they are moving them to Houston though, Beaumont is a pretty good size city and should be able to keep the dogs where people can find their pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page