Louisiana Rescue, HW+, scared, not potty trained (?) - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Getting very worried

As of 1pm she has not peed or pooped.

I called the clinic and spoke to receptionist who had told me they just got test results back. However Her vet isn't in today and will call me tomorrow to discuss "everything" and where to go from there (whatever that means).
Receptionist said she did test positive for roundworms and whipworms. So I know at least that. Not sure what her bloodwork may have uncovered. She could be anemic from the worms if this has been ongoing.
Heartgard is supposed to treat round worms though, so???

Clinic did go speak to on duty Vet (much to my prompting) about the lack of urination...Vet says not a concern at this time but if hasn't gone by morning then to call...well that would make it 36 hrs IF she hasn't gone by then...It's considered troubling by 48 hrs...but reading online 3-4 days can kill.

So I would think...lets not wait for 24hrs "to see" I am going to call at 5pm if she hasn't gone (it's 1:30pm now)

She has no symptoms. No distress, no seeming like she needs to go (for either), not licking there. She's sleeping lot's on and off. Very hot out so she lies in shade if on deck and I have the A/C going inside...she jumps at every chance she can to try and solicit food in the kitchen. She's up and following me when I go to do something (other then go online - then she sleeps)...she was super frisky, doing spins and dropping to floor and wagging her body (short lived as I don't want her to excited re: HW)...She has been walked twice so far...spunky, good energy, sniffing...But has given NO indication she has to pee

Clinic said that 24 - 48 hrs given her circumstances for not pooping is normal

And I asked about using panacur, but vet went with metro - pancur is needed for Whips. Sigh

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

SHE JUST PEED!!!!
Phew. I feel better.
Now if she could just hit the pad a little better, lol

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #53 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

The amount of dewormer in HG is not enough to treat. It's enough to prevent re-infection. I've never seen it (or any other HW preventative with dewormer) clear a worm infection.

Yep, you need panacur. 3 days of it will get the whipworms (though as I told you by PM, I prefer to go longer). Or else Drontal Plus (but it's a lot pricier). Whipworms can cause bloody diarrhea and can mess up the bloodwork too. Panacur Canine granules are the palatable option, but they cost more than the Panacur liquid (which you dose with a needleless syringe either by squirting in the mouth, or mixing with a lot canned food). The liquid tastes bad, but it's maybe half the price. A good friend had a foster dog spit the Panacur in her face, so she reported to me on the foul taste.
GatorBytes likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-19-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you Magwart...the receptionist was nonspecific about the roundworm, said "type" so now have it in my head about the rat lungworm. Vet will call tomorrow a.m. about test results.

I forgot to mention yesterday, She did say that she couldn't hear any murmur, an indication the HW load (if it's a load or just one female that resulted in positive test) was blocking a valve from closing. Said sounded good as well as the lungs.

The rescue said all the dogs were dewormed. But that means nothing really...

Forgot too, that the adoption comes with 6 week pet insurance up to $500 ($100 deductible), my bill was $315 + 25 when I added on fortaflora. So hopefully that will be worked out by the clinic and the Panacur will top off the balance (I bought panacur yrs ago for G and it was $100 - but that vet was a jerk)

I will ask about granules.

The metro is quite big, says not to crush as very bitter...I just shoved it down her throat, fired a few kibbles as a treat after, no problem. G was awesome for taking pills, so I am pretty good at giving
But I suck at giving liquids.
I had to syringe slippery elm into her mouth as she wouldn't eat it. What an ordeal

post #55 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

GatorBytes - I am so happy for you and Lil! She is so precious. Today while out walking I met a lady with with a small gsd that looks just like your Lil. Eight years ago, she found her starving on the streets of San Jose . Her dog is now 11 years-old and so healthy. That's the future, I see for you an Lil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #56 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Knighted Member

I see Cattle Dog, especially in the hind end.
Sheilah
Mudypoz likes this.
post #57 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
But she is sooo cute!!!

Yesterday I went to this adoption event (see link)
Welland SPCA saves 150 'starving' U.S. dogs, up for adoption this weekend - Hamilton - CBC News

SO many dogs, SO many people, SO much barking. Huge event type tent set up in parking lot. 2 10x15' fenced area's you could take dog of choice to to see how they interact.
There were 3 Humane societies involved, 1 was from approx. 5 hrs away. It's a 4 day event. The dogs stay in tent in crates all weekend.

I spent about 5 hrs there, petted every single dog, took a couple out for walk as they seemed distressed/trembling. They were better after.
But this one little girl, she just stayed tucked away from people, flattened her back end when couple people tried to take her out. She was so quiet. Not a sound.

Anyhow, I was contemplating leaving, but decided that she needed a walk on some grass - not just go in the fenced area.
She couldn't care less about me or anybody.
I was about to return to tent, when a volunteer mentioned for $50 deposit you can take them home for night.
I decided to spring her.
Now I have 5 hrs left before she has to be back, to make a decision

She is listed as a shepherd x, but she's maybe 30lbs. I believe tag said 4 yrs old.
When I took her inside to give deposit, they scanned her microchip and file showed she is HW+

Now what do I do???
Well that depends. What do you want to do? Are you wanting to keep her?

Does the shelter provide heartworm treatments, some don't.

Read somewhere someone used scram parasite stuff of all things. But heartworms are serious and they can die from them. There are also other ways people on this site have listed a few.
post #58 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 PM

I have to stop reading from my phone it just had one post your first and nothing else. Didn't even realize all the time that had past! So now trying to read and catch up.
GatorBytes likes this.
post #59 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 PM

She is SO cute!!
GatorBytes likes this.
post #60 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Test Results - Good and Bad

The good...Her CBC and Chem values are all good (mostly) . Kidney, liver, protein, platelets...no anemia.
Her glucose was on low end, however vet felt was due to all the diarrhea and worm load.

The fecal was able to find 2 types of whip worm, both will be covered by panacur (granules!)..whips are very hard to catch, so fact that able to find on fecal in order to know to treat for is great! (metro doesn't kill whips)
Neg. to Giardia (but we know that doesn't mean much)
Neg to Cociddia

The bad...She tested positive for Anaplasmosis (neg. to Lyme and Ehrlichiosos), the Phagoctyophlum type (there is 2 types, the other affects platelets)
She is HW+ ...I was hoping for mistake
She does have baby heartworms circulating in her blood (the vet says the rescue likely only did a snap test, explained it like a pregnancy test - the filter result, looking at smear under microscope showed this)
The vet wants her on doxy sooner then later (me too, Oct. way too far off)
Her white blood cells were low (anaplasmosis??? type she has affects whites)...not low persay, but low considering they should be elevated indicating fighting off infection. She says this is sign she has been sick for long time.

I think thats it for now.
dogma13 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page