Louisiana Rescue, HW+, scared, not potty trained (?) - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so happy for Lil! (Lille?) I hope her tum-tum gets sorted out by the vet.

She's probably had tummy issues for a good long time. The shelters tend to feed Science Diet, Pedigree, or a Purina food...depending on which one is doing a corporate sponsorship...and some of them can only feed once a day, barely even enough to maintain weight. Who knows what she ate before the shelter --Ol' Roy wouldn't surprise me -- it's a poor area she came from. I've come across a lot of dogs fed this one too because it's even cheaper --it gives you a snapshot of what life may have been like: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...food-50-lb-bagAdd in parasites, protozoa, and other beasties that these dogs tend to be loaded with....and they just need a lot of GI care for a while. Her tummy has likely been trashed for a LONG time. My rescue friends and I do a happy dance whenever a new dog produces its first formed poo -- it's the first health milestone!

Last edited by Magwart; 07-18-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

She (Lil - great name) is such a little cutie. Hope she feels better soon.
GatorBytes likes this.
post #43 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

I know I will get trashed for this but hey never cared much what others think.
EVERY rescue I have ever had did best on Pedigree. We found that by breaking feedings into small meals multiple times a day and slowly adding fresh food into their diets we greatly reduced the days of cleaning nastiness.
Many big name kibbles are just too rich and a dog with a trashed tummy may not do well on raw food. The detox effect caused by raw can put more pressure on an already compromised system.
I found feeding multple small meals and gradually introducing raw meat berries and eggs cut recovery down considerably. My own dogs ate Pedigree for years and did well. Same diet. Smaller amount of kibble. Fresh fruit berries meat veggies and eggs.
GatorBytes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Knighted Member

Love the name "Lil" and her face. She reminds me a little of my mom's mix, cattle dog and mountain cur. Hope she's feeling better soon.
GatorBytes likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #45 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I know I will get trashed for this but hey never cared much what others think.
EVERY rescue I have ever had did best on Pedigree. We found that by breaking feedings into small meals multiple times a day and slowly adding fresh food into their diets we greatly reduced the days of cleaning nastiness.
Many big name kibbles are just too rich and a dog with a trashed tummy may not do well on raw food. The detox effect caused by raw can put more pressure on an already compromised system.
I found feeding multple small meals and gradually introducing raw meat berries and eggs cut recovery down considerably. My own dogs ate Pedigree for years and did well. Same diet. Smaller amount of kibble. Fresh fruit berries meat veggies and eggs.
Years ago, only thing we could get our rescue to eat was Old Roy, with a raw egg on top. She did well on it, not that I feed it to my dogs now but sometimes the oddest things work.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #46 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We went to vet today, thankfully only 7 mins away as she hates the van. Likely due to either transport by others or her transport here.

I stopped in yesterday to give them her paperwork so the vet would have info prior to visit. She has another client from Welland SPCA who is also HW+, I didn't quite get whether from same Louisiana 150, as there was another I found on google not too long ago. Apparently BARK (in LA) teams up 2x a yr with Fort Erie and or Welland to bring dogs up from there. However they were hoping the test was a mistake or samples mixed up...They had re-tested and the dog was indeed HW+ and will be going for treatment too through the SPCA. The vet said that she trusts it's likely correct (based on other client)...BUT, you never know...

So I opted for the 4Dx (also b/c of tick disease and since these can turn up as false negatives a retry isn't bad idea) "mini"? Upgrade to incl a CBC and Chem, but I doubt comprehensive. The vet did say checks protein, crea, Red and White etc. etc. By upgrading (only 25$ more), it reduced the fecal test by $15...

She put her on metro for a week. I asked for the Fortiflora before I left...2 weeks worth, in the interim, until I can get Carmspacks goodies.
I didn't want to do metro, but because it is faster acting and covers more then Tylosin and because she was pooping blood (I won't get to graphic), yep...drugs (sigh)

I also picked up a bag of Gastro Hill's RX yesterday (I know you are saying "who is this!!")...No matter what kibble I give her she LOVES it...Bland diet or any safe human tummy food furgetaboutit...had to bribe her to eat rice, pumpkin, egg with a touch kibble. She picked out kibble. Hrs later and in small increments she eventually ate rest...But poop still poured out of her.

Her energy has been good, she drinking well along, counter surfer and wants food. Despite all the severe gastro issues, she wanted to eat.

Today she is doing really well, not needing to poop as often, although still soup...she has little bursts of playfulness (although cautious at same time)..

She has learned to block me for attention, leans on me, head up, smiling and curls her body as wags, and then flips around to lean from other side, too stinkin cute!

Oh, and she weighed in at 30 lbs!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 07-18-2017 at 06:58 PM.
post #47 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Holy Crap...or should I say none.
This dog has been going non stop since Friday. I started her on the RX kibble Mon. eve and although less frequent, still wet. She had a nominal amount just before vet app around 2 pm yesterday and as of 8am this morning hasn't gone. No accidents overnight, didn't even pee overnight, hasn't pee'd yet today...I've been up since 6am, we had coffee, went for walk, absolutely no indication she has to do either.

I started her on the metro around 5pm and second dose around 1030pm (per vet) with food both x
So she pee'd around 2pm yesterday (inside), then 11pm (inside)and nothing since
She pooped around 2pm yesterday. Nothing since (now 8am)
Note: we had short walk when back from vet around 4pm, then good walk at 7pm and another at 10pm. Nothing, Nada, zilch.
And 20 min walk at 7am

She also started showing some bratty behaviour...indication of feeling better or more relaxed or side effect of drug??? Didn't start until 3-4 hrs after her meds

I've been called into a job I have been waiting to start. I need to crate her. What do I do???
Suki's Mom likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #48 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Elite Member

Any chance instead of crating you have a room you can shut her in. I know she has issues with doors etc but it would give her more room for extra pee pads and room for her to avoid sitting in mess? Maybe a shelf to set up radio w/soft music? Any trusted neighbor to take her out for potty? Any chance if the notice for work was unexpected, you could ask for a day break or 1/2 day due to an important previous commitment. That would give you a little more time to figure out a doable routine for you and her.

Just throwing out ideas.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #49 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Any chance instead of crating you have a room you can shut her in. I know she has issues with doors etc but it would give her more room for extra pee pads and room for her to avoid sitting in mess? Maybe a shelf to set up radio w/soft music? Any trusted neighbor to take her out for potty? Any chance if the notice for work was unexpected, you could ask for a day break or 1/2 day due to an important previous commitment. That would give you a little more time to figure out a doable routine for you and her.

Just throwing out ideas.

I appreciate. I do not have a room I can put her in...
I actually do have a prior obligation, this job was supposed to have me on schedule this week. He was to text me last thurs with it. He didn't. I enquired Friday. He texted sat morning asking if I could come in that day to cover a shift. 1.5 hrs notice. I just got the dog, no crate set up, she had diarrhea and I couldn't pull it off so I said sorry but cannot do. He then said "try" and get me on schedule. He didn't. Well he texts me today, again, I have no confirmation that I have the job, no schedule and he's asking me to work.
I HAVE to go to an employment insurance informational thingy today or I will be cut off. I advised him.

I would like to have worked, but the dog would be crated 8hrs and just started meds and I am very stressed out because of her not pooping in 19 hrs and not peeing since 11pm. Still hasn't and it's 930am

I dropped every hint to my friend to come and help me. She didn't offer. Even though I mentioned on Monday about this appointment...She did look after her on Mon. though

I will be gone about 3 hrs with this appointment.
I crated her last night for an hour as she was being little brat and I needed some down time to eat and train her to accept it.

post #50 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Elite Member

I have to head out but thought of this at the door. Any vet tech that may be off today that might be willing to donate some time to help you or for a small fee or maybe a rescue that you know whos helper or employee wh is off today may be willing. Just some more possible avenues you might consider to tap into. Might be worth a try to call the vet if you have a good relationship there.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page