Louisiana Rescue, HW+, scared, not potty trained (?) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

Here's the AHWS guide about treatment from 2014 (before the article on Advantage Multi and young adult HWs came out, and about the time Auburn's study on resistance came out). Starting around p. 15, there's discussion of the "adjuncts" (pred and doxy). This is the official "party-line" standard of care in conventional veterinary medicine :
https://heartwormsociety.org/images/...Guidelines.pdf
RunShepherdRun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Wonderful info Magwart! You're a real credit to this board!
post #13 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Or puts another hole in heart if she dies from HW treatment.

The rescue said treatment doesn't start until Oct.

She is resting on G's old bed. Had it vac-sealed in basement
She'll put a hole in your heart no matter when she dies, it's the worst part of loving any dog or person. But life is empty without putting your heart out there to risk. What did you decide?
Stevenzachsmom and Sunsilver like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Crowned Member

Aw, thanks, Sunsilver.

I'm on pins and needles waiting for news of the fate of this "Louisiana Little" (as I call the minis that are so common down here)....
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #15 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Everyone. Update for now. I went and adopted her!

Right now I am exhausted as she has been having a horrible bought of diarrhea and I have been taking her out every half hr, but she unloads when she comes in so been cleaning up. Run out of towels, my place stinks, I haven't eaten or showered and its after 1 am.

Maggie, I did read your novel, and really really really appreciate the PM and all the time you took to write that post, thank you so much! I knew you would be there and so happy for your wealth of knowledge. Props.

I am going to make a batch of slippery elm syrup before bed, that I just remembered I had, have a shopping list for tomorrow of doggie belly needs. Going to book vet app for Monday if can get, unless I can get tomorrow, but sat and close at noon...

She is resting now. Curled up on a memory foam bed. Not feeling well, but at least she is not feeling well here rather then in a crate at an adopt-a-thon.
(Come to think about it, there was a lady walking thru there over treating the dogs. No one stopped her...milkbones some other type of garbage bones like milkbones and some smoked chews. She just grabbed handfuls and walked past all the cages handing them out...she wasn't being malicious, but I did mention to her that this was stressfull to the dogs and they may not tolerate well.)
Cheers

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #16 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:50 AM
Elite Member

Gator, from what you've said about her elimination habits, it sounds like someone trained her to use puppy pads. So, maybe you need to buy some, and teach her to use them outside, instead of indoors!

Yeah, I found out with one of my pups that too much of certain doggie treats can cause stomach upset. Stress could be a factor, too. Best of luck with her...
post #17 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:09 AM
Crowned Member

I was not in Walmart that long!
Care to explain how you failed to mention this??
And why no pictures? She sounds perfect for you I am glad you found her.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #18 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

So very happy for you and this dear pup. Getting ready to go on vacation - so thrilled I got to read this before I leave. Thank you for taking a chance on her. You rock!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Elite Member

I have to say she is in the best hands and heart possible with wonderful help surrounding her. I'll be in the mostly reading and cheering you on section.

Wishing you both the very best.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #20 of 153 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Elite Member

I know you are probably still exhausted, but when you get rested up, we are going to need some PICTURES and a name for this very lucky girl.

So, so happy for you both!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page