Just venting, but where do they find these people? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Just venting, but where do they find these people?

I volunteer at a no-kill shelter; thus, co-workers and acquaintances want to come to me when they want to get rid of their pet. They seem to think I will be sympathetic, tell them what to do, and maybe give their pet a bit higher status (?) Anyway, I am hearing more and more that the cat or dog has a housebreaking problem/won't use the litter box and their husband says the animal HAS to go. So I'm thinking WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE TO MARRY? My husband and I certainly aren't saints, but he would never insist that I get rid of those I love so much, nor would I ask him. His lab is 13 years old and he has an occasional accident in the house. We clean up after him and try to think of solutions, but I would give up every household item I have before I would suggest that he "get rid" of Loki prematurely. Aside from that, LOL, husband knows he would be outta there far sooner than the animals if he ever did insist on something like that and I know the same! OK, I've said my piece and now I feel a little better.
Mudypoz and KaiserAus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Pfffffft. When I was going thru my divorce and told my ex I needed to keep the house so my GSD (and cats) would have a home. He wanted to sell. I said, "Where would Carter (dog) go? What landlord will rent to "scary" Shep (and 3 cats.)?" He said, "Well, we'll have to find a home for him." After that, the divorce couldn't happen fast enough -- and I kept my Carter until the day he died AND the house (and cats! )
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM

I suspect that the wife doesn't have a lot of empathy for the pet either.It's easier to foist the blame on the partner.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

The dualness (I think I made that word up) of a marriage. Takes two to work and compromise. She married him. Wonder if he complains that she values the dog more than him?

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I think you are correct, Dogma. Easier to just blame the husband. Even though it makes us women sound like silly little victims who can't stand up to our husbands! You certainly get tired of the excuses at any rate.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

I currently know someone who's husband was offered a FREE Graduate degree program while he works for the college sports department (no pay) with free housing as well. The catch...they can't have their dog in the housing. If he can't work out having the dog then he and his wife are turning it down. That's an owner that lives up to having a pet is a lifelong commitment to the pet. This person is willing to give up a Masters degree and major career opportunity because he and his wife don't consider a pet as an easily disposable thing. Their dog is part of their family.
I understand some people have no choice but seriously it shouldn't be a whilly nilly decision to just get rid of a pet because it has a small issue like housebreaking. Likely the fault of the owner as it is because housebreaking isn't that hard.
These people you speak of should probably never have pets to start with.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Master Member

To me dogs are a lifestyle and they dictate how you live. So many people just consider them things to be kept for entertainment, and when the entertainment wears off they ditch the animal.

I've bought cars for my dogs (had to have a specific type for the space) and am buying a house in the fall and have specific requirements because of the dogs. And the man I marry is going to have to deal with that (hopefully he loves them as much as I do). They are a committment.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Another thing I hear a lot is "I want a dog SO bad, but my husband doesn't like dogs (is allergic, etc., etc.)" Which is fine, in fact good not to get one if the whole family isn't on board. But I can't imagine marrying someone that disliked dogs. In fact, pretty sure it would never go beyond a first date because...what would we talk about?
gsdluvr likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 04:32 PM

This is the very reason my sister and I were estranged for years (prior to her death). She had 2 westies and got "rid" of them because she was buying a house with a pool and there was no yard for the dogs.

She moves 2 years later and buys 2 black lab puppies. She has a fenced yard. However, she spent NO time training them and they ended up banished to the back yard night and day. I never found out what happened to the labs as I quit talking to her at that point.

My animals comes first. They always have and always will. I would never for even one second contemplate giving up one of my furbabies because they have become "inconvenient".
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget01 View Post
Anyway, I am hearing more and more that the cat or dog has a housebreaking problem/won't use the litter box and their husband says the animal HAS to go. .
I remember the first time I heard someone say this to me.......basically......getting rid of the dog because it wasn't housebroken per their expectations.......I thought they were kidding......when I discovered they weren't.....I said........" Good thing your parents didn't do the same to you"...

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page