Just venting, but where do they find these people? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

My dog, Ranger, had problems with incontinence of his poop for about the last year of his life. He had mobility problems due to his spine, and needed help with the stairs, but other than that, he was eating like a horse, and seemed to be enjoying life. One of the vets at the practice I was going to at that time told me "I can't imagine having to cope with that!" (the incontinence)

Now this vet has a little white lapdog that he's very fond of. He even brings it to work with him. I didn't say it, but the thought running through my mind was "Just WAIT until it happens to YOUR dog!"
Mudypoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Master Member

Dogs are amazing, loyal animals, humans...not so much. There's not much I wouldn't do for my dog. Both dogs I've had give me so much happiness I could not imagine giving up on them, especially when they are older and have health issues. This idea of getting rid of a dog like an old used car is something I dont understand and hope I never do.
Bridget01 likes this.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM

I can't really judge folks like this since I don't know them personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't truly value themselves much, either. They just kinda survive, even if they have a lot of stuff.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sunsilver;8499473]My dog, Ranger, had problems with incontinence of his poop for about the last year of his life. He had mobility problems due to his spine, and needed help with the stairs, but other than that, he was eating like a horse, and seemed to be enjoying life. QUOTE]

Sounds just like Loki, and the incontinence for us is just a slight inconvenience. To be fair, it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes, and it is solid, so doesn't make a big mess. I suppose everyone has a different tolerance level for such things, but as for us we don't give up on our animals very quickly. I mean, I agree that you can't let your pet ruin everything you own. But you can really try to get advice, try different options, and most of all, give solutions some time to work.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

A family I barely knew asked me to take their old dog because they got new carpet and furniture and the dog was going to get them dirty. They had seen me walking many different fosters and thought I would be happy to take their pet. When I told them they were cruel and I wouldn't do it, they gave the dog away on Craigslist. The family chose their house over their dog. I am surprised they didn't give their children away for getting their house dirty, too. Or just start bathing the dog!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Sad. Kind of like the "New Lamps for Old" story. Wish I had that link. One thing I've found by being around the shelter is that once someone is determined to give up their pet, they usually can't be dissuaded, you're just wasting your breath.

However, good news, my co-worker I was originally talking about has decided to keep trying with her dog! She has some new, great ideas and is going to keep working on it, instead of giving her dog away!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget01 View Post
Another thing I hear a lot is "I want a dog SO bad, but my husband doesn't like dogs (is allergic, etc., etc.)" Which is fine, in fact good not to get one if the whole family isn't on board. But I can't imagine marrying someone that disliked dogs. In fact, pretty sure it would never go beyond a first date because...what would we talk about?
To be fair, I wasn't a dog person when we met. I had a dog as a kid but didn't envision having one as an adult. (Long-dormant dream that was kind of forgotten.) My husband wasn't a dog person, either. In fact, he didn't really like dogs at all.

Then a friend texted me a picture of the GSD puppy her ex bought their daughter and it was all over. I researched the breed, started figuring out how I could make my life work for the dog, started making noises about how I NEEDED one. Finally, a coworker of his informed him that if he was going to travel for work and leave me alone for full weeks at a time, he needed to let me have a GSD. He relented and told me to go research breeders. He did not want that dog. He didn't hate the idea of having it, but he wouldn't have sought out that puppy on his own.

In other words - life happens and things change. Luckily she's awesome and they're best friends, and while he acknowledges that he doesn't enjoy the puppy stage, there will be future German Shepherds for us.

On the flip side, I wasn't a cat person when we met (allergies). He had a cat. We've now had three additional cats together, two of whom are still alive. I'm kind of over the entire notion of cat ownership and have told him i'll never say he can't have one, but I don't want any more. I wouldn't keep the two we have if it was solely up to me and if I didn't realize I was an active participant in choosing to get them (i.e., I have a responsibility to them). So - there's that too.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
My dog, Ranger, had problems with incontinence of his poop for about the last year of his life. He had mobility problems due to his spine, and needed help with the stairs, but other than that, he was eating like a horse, and seemed to be enjoying life.
Sounds just like Loki, and the incontinence for us is just a slight inconvenience. To be fair, it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes, and it is solid, so doesn't make a big mess. I suppose everyone has a different tolerance level for such things, but as for us we don't give up on our animals very quickly. I mean, I agree that you can't let your pet ruin everything you own. But you can really try to get advice, try different options, and most of all, give solutions some time to work.
At the time this was going on, I was running a kennel, and of course, the house had all easy-to-clean surfaces. I used a baby gate to keep him off the 2 small carpets I had in the living room. And, as you said, it was usually dry, and easy to clean up, and it didn't happen all the time.

Dog owners have to be able to tolerate a bit of dirt and mess. Never yet had a dog that didn't track in mud, or have the occasional accident!
Bridget01 likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:09 PM

I would live in a tent before I'd get rid of my dogs. They are a part of me. To take an animal who loves, trusts, and would probably die for its owner, and then betray that trust and just get rid of it like an old couch makes me furious.
I can understand getting rid of a dog that has a job and is not up to par for its job, but a pet....no way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page