First-time GSD owners getting dog from bad situation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

She spent the afternoon watching me wash dishes and walking outside. Was a little skittish once fiancé got home, but let us take her on three walks together with him holding the leash. We walked to my school where I work and saw some of my students from last year hanging out in the parking lot and she did fine meeting them. She seems to like children. She is still taking hot dog pieces and other treats from my fiancé's hand.

I found a massive tick on her neck tonight while I was grooming her. It must have come from her old place because I thought I felt a lesion on her neck when I first met her, but it was this huge tick. Bleh. I'm squeamish, so she allowed my fiancé to safely remove it. She's crated and settled in for the night. All in all, a successful first day!

Here's some pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465966950171.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	370817   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465966969389.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	370825   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1465966994624.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	370833  
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

It sounds like things are going great!!! Just remember take things very slowly with introducing her to new people so that things remain positive and safe for her. Set her up to succeed by limiting her interactions with people to you and your partner, then slowly adding one or two trusted people add a time, over many weeks, so she keeps having very positive interactions.

Luckily, we don't have much incidence of tick disease in the Gulf South, but there may be other little ticks hiding in folds or in even in ears. It might be worth giving her a dose of NexGuard (from the vet), just to be sure you get them all. We do that pretty routinely in the rescue when dogs are found with ticks -- one dose kills them all.

Has she been heartworm tested recently? If not, I would put that on the to-do list at the vet soon, given that you're in Mississippi. Any rescued dog found with an engorged tick makes me a little suspicious about the dog's HW status, as former owners who slacked off on one kind of anti-parasite prevention might have slacked on them all. Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a HW epidemic in the Deep South. Year-round monthly HW prevention is mandatory down here, but many owners forget or miss doses, creating opportunities for infection.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Give her a lot of time to make the adjustments permanent. We kept a skittish rescue and found that the dog adjusted quickly to our family members, but took a long time to get used to outside people and strangers. We never did quite figure out why he adjusted to some people and not others, but every time I thought we had "fixed" the problem, it happened again. This was not the dog I mentioned previously. Your dog is adapting very well to your fiance. That is good news! Don't be discouraged if any of her old behaviors return. It takes a lot of positive experiences to overcome earlier mistreatment.
kaslkaos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Master Member

Congrats! Lovely choice. Thanks so much for posting the pics, I love the good news that I can see with my own eyes. Looks like she feels safe with you two, and she can learn and grow from that safe haven.
I'll second/third/fourth about take time, expect things to backslide or appear, reappear, and don't pressure. I learned, the hard way, with my new rescue that even clicker training can equal pressure enough to shut down a dog. I wish I'd had more advice going in, but no harm done in the long run.
Beautiful girl.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
It sounds like things are going great!!! Just remember take things very slowly with introducing her to new people so that things remain positive and safe for her. Set her up to succeed by limiting her interactions with people to you and your partner, then slowly adding one or two trusted people add a time, over many weeks, so she keeps having very positive interactions.

Luckily, we don't have much incidence of tick disease in the Gulf South, but there may be other little ticks hiding in folds or in even in ears. It might be worth giving her a dose of NexGuard (from the vet), just to be sure you get them all. We do that pretty routinely in the rescue when dogs are found with ticks -- one dose kills them all.

Has she been heartworm tested recently? If not, I would put that on the to-do list at the vet soon, given that you're in Mississippi. Any rescued dog found with an engorged tick makes me a little suspicious about the dog's HW status, as former owners who slacked off on one kind of anti-parasite prevention might have slacked on them all. Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a HW epidemic in the Deep South. Year-round monthly HW prevention is mandatory down here, but many owners forget or miss doses, creating opportunities for infection.
I put Frontline Plus on her yesterday. I noticed maybe one flea on her and some signs of fleas (black specks in the fur), and of course, the tick, but I guess we do need to get started on heartworm prevention. The old owner insisted that she dosed Ophelia with her regular monthly heartworm and administered shots herself, which could be true since they were in a rural area and had horses and other farm animals that I'm sure they work with medically. It does mean that there were no records provided of when or what Ophelia has been given preventatively. I think we should start from square one at the vet's, but if she was given say, a rabies vac, within the last six months, would it harm her to have things like that done again too soon?

What information does my vet need for me to provide to best check up on Ophelia?
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately, the active ingredient in Frontline (fipronil) seems to have lost effectiveness in South Louisiana -- we've seen dogs remain flea infested despite regular use of it, and the shelter vets I know have all stopped using it for the same reason. The company that makes it claims resistance doesn't exist, but my experience with fipronil hasn't been good in the last couple of years. I suspect it's highly regional.

We switched to Advantage Multi for flea andHW prevention (it's Advantage II plus a very good HW prevention component, RX only). It runs about $14/mo ordered with the vet's RX from KVsupply.com -- cheaper than separate flea and HW meds, and more effective. I also am cautious about using Heartguard (or one of its generics) for HW prevention because we're in an area where ivermectin-resistant HW larvae have been detected (theyr'e still rare, but there's no resistance to Advantage Multi, so it was a no-brainer to me to switch).

We have to do the rabies vax for all dogs in rescue with unknown histories, so it's almost certain that some of them are getting a booster they don't need. We haven't seen any problems from it. You have to do rabies vaccination by state law, so it's not something you have a choice on. In Mississippi, rabies vax by law have to be administered by a vet or someone holding a state permit to administer them. If the former owner is a regular person who just bought the vaccine and injected it, it may not even count under your state's law anyway:
Mississippi Rabies Laws :: Mississippi Board of Animal Health
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, well we are going to get her into the vet ASAP. I want good flea medicine, definitely don't want her bringing fleas in to my cats, so I will see how the Frontline Plus does and switch if needed. I was buying out of Walmart, so the selection was not great.

I just ordered her research pedigree from the AKC, and her mother was bred to her grandfather (so mother-father mating) to produce her. Is this normal? I had a super inbred cat once that was probably the stupidest animal I have ever seen.

Dam: julietta de psd dn245307/04 08-11

Sire: Cuba V
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Where we are, rabies must be done at the vet. So, it might be a good idea to check the laws on that in your area.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyloo92 View Post
Ok, well we are going to get her into the vet ASAP. I want good flea medicine, definitely don't want her bringing fleas in to my cats, so I will see how the Frontline Plus does and switch if needed. I was buying out of Walmart, so the selection was not great.

I just ordered her research pedigree from the AKC, and her mother was bred to her grandfather (so mother-father mating) to produce her. Is this normal? I had a super inbred cat once that was probably the stupidest animal I have ever seen.

Dam: julietta de psd dn245307/04 08-11

Sire: Cuba V
Look up line breeding. If it's done well, they can reproduce amazing dogs very close to the original line. If not, well, it's inbreeding. You won't know without knowing more about genetics of those lines and litters that came out of them. Someone else can explain better than I did.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

Most if not all places that sell rabies vaccines won't sell to states that laws state it has to be given by licensed vets.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page