Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners?

Why are people discouraged when thinking about getting a GSD a their first dog? I think it may be because people are surprised by the amount of time/work/money required but don't those apply to all dogs in general? Is it mostly because some can have dominant tendencies? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 PM

My GSD pups take a lot of work to keep up with and train properly. And older GSD might be just fine for a first time dog.

Honestly I have spent much more on these dogs than I have on other dogs. We do IPO and any animal sport can really rack up the bills.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaribay805 View Post
Why are people discouraged when thinking about getting a GSD a their first dog? I think it may be because people are surprised by the amount of time/work/money required but don't those apply to all dogs in general? Is it mostly because some can have dominant tendencies? Thank you.
I think part of it is the commitment. Part is myth.

IME, Boxers take much more. High energy! Neither of my GSDs were destructive. All 3 of our Boxers were. I don't believe it has anything to do with "dominant" tendencies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 PM

They tend to be really big chewers as puppies...mine wasn't but I hear they can be, nipping on everything and everyone. Mine is a "show line" which are low drive, "working line" dogs I think are a much bigger commitment. The house training was a breeze tough, she's so smart that she figured out very quickly. I wouldn't discourage a first time owner, they are great dogs, just read up a bit so you know what to expect and choose wisely. No backyard breeders, these guys are prone to lots of health issues too, you need a good breeder.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:15 PM

They're sensitive and emotional, and sometimes also shy and reactive. That doesn't leave much room for handler error...if you're going to make mistakes, better to do it with a more resilient breed. That would be my guess as to why.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:21 PM

I think they are bad for a casual owner,not necessarily a first time owner.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 02:09 AM
Crowned Member

Older GSDs can be amazing first dogs, a great introduction to the breed for people who've never owned a dog before and haven't a clue where to start. One that's already house trained, with some leash manners, and some basic OB can make a newbie owner feel like a rock star as they go through their first group classes. They don't have extreme exercise needs beyond a normal walk. Most are no longer into destruction of sofas and landscaping. They don't have any interest in biting your pants or nipping your hands. They're generally sane, and what you see is what you get.

As puppies and adolescents, they're often pretty stinking crazy. I don't even particularly enjoy fostering them temporarily at that young age, at least compared to older dogs. They're bonkers. I'll take a 6+ year old foster dog over a 4 month old ANY day.
BucksMom likes this.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 02:34 AM

Most people know nothing about dogs, or regurgitate whatever petsmart feeds them.
They shed more than most dogs.
They eat more than more 'manageable' dogs especially if working line.
They have finicky stomachs and someone unfamiliar with handling this might find it incredibly daunting.
They're typically more active and require consistency and can become aggressive, destructive and depressed if their needs aren't met.
Most first time dog owners are young, living in apartments most often and very few apartments allow the breed.
BucksMom likes this.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, these are all really great answers. I hear people being discouraged over and over but felt like I wasn't sure what the reasons were behind it.

@car2ner - Oh man I have spent so much money on this puppy already & I've had her for a month. crates, gates, food, toys, vet, etc… & yes she is a lot of work!

@AnnaBirdie - my puppy is so mouthy, its ridiculous. Its nice to hear that there are some people that don't discourage it though. I have at least 5 years to go before I get another dog but when the time comes, Ill definitely be putting more thought into the lines it will come from.

@solo93 - Your completely right. I feel like I HAVE to get her into training classes right away so that I don't handle situations poorly without realizing it.

@Magwart - Our puppy is stinking cranky! I almost adopted an adult dog but my husband convinced me that our bond would be stronger if we raised it from a puppy. So we did that but I won't be getting a puppy while I have young kids ever again. Its too much. We've been handling it well only because Im a stay at home mom but Im seriously on duty 24/7. Bonkers is exactly the word for GSD puppies! Although, even with her going nuts most of the day, I know for a fact that I want more GSDs at some point. Fostering could be the perfect way to accomplish that!

I got my first puppy a month ago and we did enough research and prepared mentally long enough that we haven't been completely surprised or taken back yet. But I will agree with everyone that they are a lot of work. I have two kids already and I feel like I just had a 3rd baby. She needs me just as much as my kids and she depends on us for everything. We love her so much that it seriously amazes me. She is challenging but we are up for the challenge.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I got my first puppy a month ago and we did enough research and prepared mentally long enough that we haven't been completely surprised or taken back yet. But I will agree with everyone that they are a lot of work. I have two kids already and I feel like I just had a 3rd baby. She needs me just as much as my kids and she depends on us for everything. We love her so much that it seriously amazes me. She is challenging but we are up for the challenge.

Be careful when this pup gets to be about two years old or so. After all the work and training you will realize what an awesome dog you have...and then you'll find yourself thinking about getting another one. Beware of "puppy fever" (grin)
katdog5911 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page