German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue, Foster & Adoption Information (General) (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/)
-   -   Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-foster-adoption-information-general/619778-why-gsd-bad-choice-1st-time-owners.html)

Agaribay805 02-19-2016 09:11 PM

Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners?

Why are people discouraged when thinking about getting a GSD a their first dog? I think it may be because people are surprised by the amount of time/work/money required but don't those apply to all dogs in general? Is it mostly because some can have dominant tendencies? Thank you.

car2ner 02-19-2016 09:50 PM

My GSD pups take a lot of work to keep up with and train properly. And older GSD might be just fine for a first time dog.

Honestly I have spent much more on these dogs than I have on other dogs. We do IPO and any animal sport can really rack up the bills.

Jax08 02-19-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agaribay805 (Post 7664666)
Why are people discouraged when thinking about getting a GSD a their first dog? I think it may be because people are surprised by the amount of time/work/money required but don't those apply to all dogs in general? Is it mostly because some can have dominant tendencies? Thank you.

I think part of it is the commitment. Part is myth.

IME, Boxers take much more. High energy! Neither of my GSDs were destructive. All 3 of our Boxers were. I don't believe it has anything to do with "dominant" tendencies.

annabirdie 02-19-2016 10:31 PM

They tend to be really big chewers as puppies...mine wasn't but I hear they can be, nipping on everything and everyone. Mine is a "show line" which are low drive, "working line" dogs I think are a much bigger commitment. The house training was a breeze tough, she's so smart that she figured out very quickly. I wouldn't discourage a first time owner, they are great dogs, just read up a bit so you know what to expect and choose wisely. No backyard breeders, these guys are prone to lots of health issues too, you need a good breeder.

Solo93 02-19-2016 11:15 PM

They're sensitive and emotional, and sometimes also shy and reactive. That doesn't leave much room for handler error...if you're going to make mistakes, better to do it with a more resilient breed. That would be my guess as to why.

dogma13 02-19-2016 11:21 PM

I think they are bad for a casual owner,not necessarily a first time owner.

Magwart 02-20-2016 02:09 AM

Older GSDs can be amazing first dogs, a great introduction to the breed for people who've never owned a dog before and haven't a clue where to start. One that's already house trained, with some leash manners, and some basic OB can make a newbie owner feel like a rock star as they go through their first group classes. They don't have extreme exercise needs beyond a normal walk. Most are no longer into destruction of sofas and landscaping. They don't have any interest in biting your pants or nipping your hands. They're generally sane, and what you see is what you get.

As puppies and adolescents, they're often pretty stinking crazy. I don't even particularly enjoy fostering them temporarily at that young age, at least compared to older dogs. They're bonkers. I'll take a 6+ year old foster dog over a 4 month old ANY day.

Birbeck 02-20-2016 02:34 AM

Most people know nothing about dogs, or regurgitate whatever petsmart feeds them.
They shed more than most dogs.
They eat more than more 'manageable' dogs especially if working line.
They have finicky stomachs and someone unfamiliar with handling this might find it incredibly daunting.
They're typically more active and require consistency and can become aggressive, destructive and depressed if their needs aren't met.
Most first time dog owners are young, living in apartments most often and very few apartments allow the breed.

Agaribay805 02-20-2016 04:17 AM

Thanks guys, these are all really great answers. I hear people being discouraged over and over but felt like I wasn't sure what the reasons were behind it.

@car2ner - Oh man I have spent so much money on this puppy already & I've had her for a month. crates, gates, food, toys, vet, etc… & yes she is a lot of work!

@AnnaBirdie - my puppy is so mouthy, its ridiculous. Its nice to hear that there are some people that don't discourage it though. I have at least 5 years to go before I get another dog but when the time comes, Ill definitely be putting more thought into the lines it will come from.

@solo93 - Your completely right. I feel like I HAVE to get her into training classes right away so that I don't handle situations poorly without realizing it.

@Magwart - Our puppy is stinking cranky! I almost adopted an adult dog but my husband convinced me that our bond would be stronger if we raised it from a puppy. So we did that but I won't be getting a puppy while I have young kids ever again. Its too much. We've been handling it well only because Im a stay at home mom but Im seriously on duty 24/7. Bonkers is exactly the word for GSD puppies! Although, even with her going nuts most of the day, I know for a fact that I want more GSDs at some point. Fostering could be the perfect way to accomplish that!

I got my first puppy a month ago and we did enough research and prepared mentally long enough that we haven't been completely surprised or taken back yet. But I will agree with everyone that they are a lot of work. I have two kids already and I feel like I just had a 3rd baby. She needs me just as much as my kids and she depends on us for everything. We love her so much that it seriously amazes me. She is challenging but we are up for the challenge.

car2ner 02-20-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

I got my first puppy a month ago and we did enough research and prepared mentally long enough that we haven't been completely surprised or taken back yet. But I will agree with everyone that they are a lot of work. I have two kids already and I feel like I just had a 3rd baby. She needs me just as much as my kids and she depends on us for everything. We love her so much that it seriously amazes me. She is challenging but we are up for the challenge.

Be careful when this pup gets to be about two years old or so. After all the work and training you will realize what an awesome dog you have...and then you'll find yourself thinking about getting another one. Beware of "puppy fever" (grin)