Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Knighted Member

Sounds like you guys will be fine.
The problem as I see it isn't with first time owners it is with some people in general. Some people will do exactly what you are doing. It is a lot of work. It takes a cash commitment but they do exactly what needs to be done because they love their puppy and they are willing to put in the hours to make it work.
Some people on the other hand go out buy a gsd. Put in no training, don't socialize with dogs or people, never really developing a bond. They are either ignorant or just plain lazy. So at some point when the dog gets a little bigger and starts to become too much of a bother they drop off at shelter, or just dump off, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:17 AM
Knighted Member

My husband and I are first time owners and we went the breeder/puppy route. Given how extensively I researched prior to deciding to go ahead and then before picking a breeder, I think going to a breeder was actually what made it successful for us: We started out with a high quality puppy, we received great guidance and advice on raising and training her, and she's grown up to be a great dog for us. Given our lack of experience, we were not equipped to handle the surprises that can come from an adult rescue (and yes, I maintain that even if the dog is a good, stable dog, there will be surprises that can crop up, and less data based on close relatives to inform an approach).

We also went into it just assuming that the puppy was going to change how we lived, and to a large extent she has. They're mostly good changes.

So based on my own experience, I think potential reasons why a GSD might not be a good idea is if there's: 1) lack of knowledge about what you're getting; 2) lack of good support (whether that's continued guidance from your breeder or rescue, or training resources in your area); 3) lack of commitment to the dog; and 4) lack of realistic expectations.
maxtmill likes this.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Quote:

I got my first puppy a month ago and we did enough research and prepared mentally long enough that we haven't been completely surprised or taken back yet. But I will agree with everyone that they are a lot of work. I have two kids already and I feel like I just had a 3rd baby. She needs me just as much as my kids and she depends on us for everything. We love her so much that it seriously amazes me. She is challenging but we are up for the challenge.

Be careful when this pup gets to be about two years old or so. After all the work and training you will realize what an awesome dog you have...and then you'll find yourself thinking about getting another one. Beware of "puppy fever" (grin)
It's true. My girl is coming up on 2, and she is awesome. And I'm already starting to think how if one GSD is so much fun, two would be even BETTER! Not rational for our situation right now, so no second pup for me, but that didn't stop me from melting all over the place when somebody brought a litter of puppies to the training club to socialize in an empty ring. They were so stinking cute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Elite Member

I think the reason why it isn't a good first time dog is that when a GSD is poorly bred, poorly socialized, not trained, the problems have more consequences. The protection breeds were bred to be confident and use their mouths to make things happen. So the risk is increased that if you don't take it seriously you will have a dog that might be dog or human aggressive. If border collie is poorly trained, etc, you will have a dog that doesn't stop moving and probably runs away to find someone more suitable to them. A poorly trained labrador, etc... will run around like a crazy man and swim in every mud puddle within a mile. A poorly trained poodle... you get the point.

The risk and liability is greater I think. I also think training and handling a confident and smart dog takes consistency, clarity and structure that humans, as we project fur baby stuff, are not always that good at. Then we get posts on here that say things like, "he is deliberately defiant."

Morning Blab. Have a good day everyone.
Aly, Chip18 and tim_s_adams like this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

Why is the GSD a bad choice for 1st time owners?

Hmmmmmm....since the question is a sweeping generalization of sorts, I guess many of the replies will be sweeping generalizations as well...including mine.

GSDs, along with numerous other breeds have characteristics which might not make them "plug and play" dogs. My limited experience ( 3 GSDs..17 years worth ) suggests the basic nature ( drives, temperament, bite strength, size, intelligence, exercise requirements, etc.) of a GSD can be too much for some, if they are not up to the task. If the first year of having a GSD pup as it develops is squandered and the owner is not committed to the development of the dog, it can become a nightmare of sorts going forward. IMO, a GSD along with other certain breeds require the human to invest a significant amount of effort in order to ensure the long haul. I kind of think it's just that simple.

If a person is honest about their intentions, as well as educated on the breed and follows through on the requirements to raise a GSD, for whatever purpose intended....a GSD is a wonderful choice for 1st time owners....and in my biased opinion, one of the best.

SuperG
Chip18 and tim_s_adams like this.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Master Member

My take, from my experience with wonderful Dynamo aquired as a six month old pup is this.
Regular "pet" trainers know nothing, and if you follow their advice you'll end up with an out of control brat that they would declare a "bad dog".
Dynamo needed a lot of motivation and a little bit of discpline. "Pet dog trainers" won't even let you play tug as a reward, they don't know how to handle it, and physically lack the space in their facility.
Aversives of any kind are considered cruel so halti's (dangerous to a boisterous dog) are recommended.
I would have been dragged into traffic a million times, would have had 3 dead cats, would have never let her off-leash, if I'd follow the "pet flavour training". Instead, I educated myself here, took her to various different trainers (a schutz/protection place to gain control), then later an open-minded pet trainer, then on to agility.
So I can see how gsd's are different, and I 1st time owner might end up thinking their wonderful dog is a monster.
Dynamo--you are missed, you were awesome.
Chip18 and tim_s_adams like this.

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training

Last edited by kaslkaos; 02-20-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Weird button slip thing.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Banned

The flexibility of the GSD sets it above many other breeds. The intelligence that allows this can also show itself itself in negative ways if the drives and needs are not met. They must have what they must have. You can provide enough exercise but if their "intellectual" needs are not met - there could be problems and visa versa.

lol - also, I've never heard of another breed that is quite as enthusiastic for the wonderful sport of landsharking and velcro-ing. Some people get bothered by that. IMO the GSD is a more intense breed. They want to go everywhere, know about everything and really live life outloud and they want a deep relationship with their owner. You pair that up with someone who would better suited to a more sedate breed and you have problems.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Knighted Member

A lot of good answers on here. I wish we had a like option on the posts.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

"my puppy is so mouthy, its ridiculous. Its nice to hear that there are some people that don't discourage it though"

You DO need to discourage landsharking and mouthing

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 05:07 PM

What Kasalkaos said….
A 'pet trainer' is a crap shoot when it comes to training a GSD. We wasted a lot of time/money during the first year with our pups, taking advice from "pet" trainers and even a "behaviorist". In hindsight, these trainers lacked knowledge/expertise of GSD's and many of their suggestions were not very helpful. By far, the most helpful information came from this forum. Because of the abundance of information and expertise, I was able to sort through and pick and choose what I believed would be most appropriate for our two pups throughout their quickly-changing/evolving developmental stages. We did some things right and some things not-so-right. And, because of a suggestion/recommendation from a member of this forum, we reached out to a reputable GSD trainer and are now enjoying (for the first time) working with a trainer who understands GSD's. Training is on track for the first time. Best advice: 1) research breeder, 2) only one GSD at a time, 3) find an experienced GSD trainer and 4) socialize, socialize, socialize your pup!!!

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page