Experiences of an abused rescue dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I have had a few dogs in the past that were abused. I agree with point two very much and use this to forge bonds with all my dogs abused, or not. Kindness and consistency, as well as offering stability, goes a long way.

I embarrasse myself by missing that! "That" was the last piece I was missing with "Rocky." We have open desert so exercise was no biggie. And leash training takes me less than 4 minutes so we were good, yeah ... not so much! To get past his final "issue" people and not liking them, we had to walk, "exposure" not "socialization" he just needed to be safe not make new friends.

Details and what I discovered are here:

Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums - View Single Post - Training Management and Leadership!

Good call CanineKarma, and good catch MAWL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone with all your insightful replies.

I have been looking at some professional dog trainers to help her and also help me with understanding her a bit more (I do believe she attacks because she is fearful)
I am prepared to patient and give her a lot of love and be consistent.
I live in a large cattle property so she has a lot of room to exercise (I would also like to walk her when she starts trusting me)
She is also a whole dog so I would like to eventually spay her.

I'm still psyching myself up to ask my relative to take ownership of her (he also scares me a little)

I really appreciate everyone's support and advise, I will be sure to keep everyone posted! Here is a photo of her before her previous owner passed away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454233646014.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	345386  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM
Knighted Member

I successfully rehabbed a gigantic male GSD who had been chained to a tree and beaten with a metal baseball bat. They broke his ribs and a couple of his teeth. He had to have his tail amputated due to the severe trauma.

It took us (me and my husband) about 1 1/2 years to get Max ready to be adopted. He still could not be trusted with teenage boys (that is because it was three teenage hoodlums who tortured him) but we turned him around with everything else. The guy who adopted claimed he was the dog of a lifetime.

Time, love, patience, consistency and training are what she needs. We have turned around so many frightened dogs over the years. I adopted the one that we could not fix. I could never trust her not to try and bite someone if she had the opportunity. She was poorly bred and lived in a dark, windowless garage for the first year of life. She trusts us, but no one else.

If you get this poor girl, I wish you the best. All of the messed up dogs that we have fostered have really appreciated the kindness they received here.

It also helps if you have a calm, confident dog of your own that can set a good example for her.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in