Tucker Saga Cont, the search begins. (How to properly rehome?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Tucker Saga Cont, the search begins. (How to properly rehome?)

Thank you to anyone and everyone that has followed the whole saga with Tucker, the guy who wasn't supposed to stay.

(Started here: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-shelter.html )

I'm going to ramble a minute and then talk about (ask about) how to do this rehoming thing properly.. and talk about the results I'm getting.

Maybe this post is also about me and how I need to vent.

I love this dog. Adore him. Would keep him forever, had issues not cropped up between his brother and him. Tucker still wants to play with Bailey, but Bailey is being a jerk. It hurts my heart to see Tucker submit so to Bailey. He shouldn't have to live that way. Shouldn't have to live in a rotate and crate life. Shouldn't have to live in fear. He deserves so much more.

He is not purebred, but he is .. nice. Just has such a sweet and cool disposition that anyone who meets him likes him. You cannot "not" like him. He's just "that" kind of dog.

I will give up pieces of my heart to see him go. Big chunks. I didn't want to keep him, then I desperately did, and now I know I just can't probably do it.

So... first I posted a CL ad and received two responses. One offered to let him live on a farm. Um, no. Second was interesting and I'm still talking to them, but probably a "no." Second CL ad resulted in someone saying they "needed dog for heart." Um, ok. The one rescue I contacted declined a courtesy post, since they've never met him. Another rescue sends dogs off sight-unseen. (can't do that.)

Then a friend of a friend replied to a fb post about this, and I will meet that family tomorrow. Has some promising aspects to it.

If you're someone who prays, could you be so kind to send one up that I can find a super, duper awesome and fantastic home for this guy?

~~

Ok, rant over. Let's get down to business.

I received this reply tonight from the person who I'd considered a reasonable one to pursue and who I've exchanged several+ emails with:

"We are interested in meeting Tucker but I guess I should ask about your rehoming fee first. I would hate to meet him and fall in love and then be deterred by that. I know it includes a bunch of stuff but we weren't looking to spend a great deal for him or any other dog we choose. We got Rusty for free so we know if we're patient we can find the right dog for us. That being said we understand why you would want something for him and the other things you would be sending with him."

Am I wrong for feeling a little offput by this?

Truth is, I won't ask a dime for Tucker, but I am saying there is a fee on CL to potentially weed things out. I guess it is reasonable of a person to ask about these things when the potential meeting time is coming up, but if it were ME, I probably wouldn't. I don't know, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

So if he needs to go to the vet, will they say they don't want to spend? I dunno, Chelle... looks like a red flag to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Knighted Member

Is that reply from the friend of a friend you mentioned in the other thread? Or just a random CL stranger? That makes a big difference in how I respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
So if he needs to go to the vet, will they say they don't want to spend? I dunno, Chelle... looks like a red flag to me.
That's my thought, too. I don't know how/what to respond to with that.

In our earlier conversations, they told me all about their other dog who had hip issues and how they had tried to prolong his life with surgeries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Is that reply from the friend of a friend you mentioned in the other thread? Or just a random CL stranger? That makes a big difference in how I respond.
No, this is a CL person. The friend of a friend thing -- I never told my friend I was asking for money and the person has not brought the issue up, either. Maybe they're both assuming he is "free," which he is...

~~~

How should I respond?
post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would NOT post him on CL! I would try to find a responsible rescue to help you in placing him. Please.....for Tuckers well being, take him off CL. Even if you have to pay the rescue to help....let someone who isn't so emotionally involved help you find his forever home.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Knighted Member

Then in that case I say run for the hills. I don't like the way it's written, and I don't trust people enough to think the best. Poor jaded me, lol. Everybody always warns that you never give an animal away for free, sad to say that this keeps the sickos out of the running. What a terrible commentary on the human race, huh? I know you're not planning on charging anything, but that's not the point.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Chelle, wait for the right adopter and you will know it when it comes along.

A rehoming fee is a must. References are a must. Adoption contract is a must. Home visit is a must.

I have done 1 personal rehome (dog started out with a rescue but I split from the rescue and they "forgot" all about the dog). Do the normal process and if it doesn't feel right, wait. Feel free to PM me if you need help with reference checks or contracts.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know it includes a bunch of stuff but we weren't looking to spend a great deal for him or any other dog we choose.
Delete.

Now.

LOL

CL can be used. FTR I found and read your ad. It's very nice, well put together.

DO use the application and an agreement as well. I wouldn't NOT use CL but I'd screen more heavily due to that.

People who are worried about $$$ only deter ME.

And ask a fee. It would be $150. He's neutered, chipped, vaccinated, etc. If they started that and had to themselves it'd be way more than $150!

He'd be $150-200 here @ our rescue.
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Why not petfinder classifieds? edit; I now see they are no longer available...
I think it is a step above CL...not sure why, other than people have to click around a bit harder! CL just has an attraction of people who are looking for freebies(and their motives aren't always in the animals best interest).
Hope Jamie can help you!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-27-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: looked on petfinder! Well, rescue would still be my go to
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I would NOT post him on CL! I would try to find a responsible rescue to help you in placing him. Please.....for Tuckers well being, take him off CL. Even if you have to pay the rescue to help....let someone who isn't so emotionally involved help you find his forever home.
Jane, I sure wish I wasn't having to turn to CL.

I will contact more rescues, but the truth is, they are so overloaded and their first allegience is to the purebreds. The only one I found that was really sincere and did backgrounds and such also was nationwide, and dogs went to transport to new homes.

Most simply do not respond at all.

Petfinder doesn't allow personal classifieds anymore, but the only thing I got from them was foreign scammers anyway.

Like the farm person and the other wierdo, I just replied with my application. Not suprisingly, no response and that's just fine by me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page