Miami Dade Animal Control - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Miami Dade Animal Control

Wanted to post the latest re this facility: from today's Miami Herald
Animal activists protest Miami-Dade shelter - Miami-Dade Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com
Animal activists protest Miami-Dade shelter

BY ELINOR J. BRECHER

[email protected]

About 50 animal welfare activists chanting and waving signs demanding the ouster of Miami-Dade Animal Services Director Sara Pizano took their message to the streets in an hour-long demonstration Tuesday afternoon.
A banner plan flew overhead saying that Miami-Dade Animal Services kills 325 cats and dogs a day with taxpayer money and protestors chanted “Stop the Killing, Stop the Pain, Sara Pizano is to Blame.’’
Pizano, who became director in 2005, has been under attack for several months after the euthanasia of a sick and starving dog that an owner asked to be put down.
Wide publicity of another incident, a prohibited method of killing cats called “heart stick,’’ increased the pressure on Pizano when she demoted rather than fired the employee who had done it.
A few pro-Pizano counter-demonstrators from The Cat Network decried the personal attack on Pizano.
Christine Michael, a Cat Network volunteer, said “all that negative energy could be put to saving animals if we all worked together.’’
Animal Services takes in approximately 36,000 cats and dogs annually and by law must accept every animal brought to the shelter no matter how sick, injured or vicious.
While adoption rates are at an all-time high at the shelter, some 21,000 animals are euthanized annually.

Read more: Animal activists protest Miami-Dade shelter - Miami-Dade Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

Mary Lou
Murphy, forever in my heart, 11/1/98-10/1/12; his BFF Allie, 5/12/05-2/7/16 and Ziggy (6 year old mixed Shepherd/Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM

I wonder how many of those protestors volunteer at the shelter or with local rescues to help find these dogs and cats homes or donate to the shelter to help pay for the sick animals' medications.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I believe the sick and starving dog referred to is the one that there was a petition posted on this forum regarding - I am not sure where the thread is located.

The shelter is a disgrace but the blame is with the people who will not spay and neuter, the County for not funding the shelter property - though I hear another one is being built and better laws to try and stop the puppy mills /stores and backyard breeding which flourishes in Miami Dade.

Mary Lou
Murphy, forever in my heart, 11/1/98-10/1/12; his BFF Allie, 5/12/05-2/7/16 and Ziggy (6 year old mixed Shepherd/Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Here is the thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-eud-gsd.html " that has been under attack for several months after the euthanasia of a sick and starving dog that an owner asked to be put down." - I believe this statement is in the article is about Roxy.

Mary Lou
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I wonder how many of those protestors volunteer at the shelter or with local rescues to help find these dogs and cats homes or donate to the shelter to help pay for the sick animals' medications.

I wonder too.... it takes special people to work at facilities like this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie512 View Post
Here is the thread https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...d-eud-gsd.html " that has been under attack for several months after the euthanasia of a sick and starving dog that an owner asked to be put down." - I believe this statement is in the article is about Roxy.
Except that Roxy wasn't sick - she had recently survived delivering a litter of puppies and stood tall for her final photo. Looking at her though, she clearly WAS starving. She was summarily "executed" on her intake day just on the owners' say so, with no hold time and no medical evaluation - despite the fact that Sara Pizano is a licensed veterinarian. You would expect a higher level of compassion with such a person at the helm. While it is true that things at Miami - Dade are better than in the truly bad old days (when the Police Dept was running things) people who deal with/have dealt with this shelter all say the same thing - Roxy wasn't an isolated example of how animals are treated there, they are very difficult to work with, and flat-out refuse to work with out of state rescues, however reputable. They tout the 50 plus groups they supposedly work with locally, but in truth these groups are only effective if you have staff to coordinate with them - Roxy had local (or at least in-state) people who would have taken her, had they been notified: not one of them was, as far as we can tell, and by the time her photo was posted on the 'net, she was already dead.

Personally, after what I've heard about this place, whether or not these protesters send donations, volunteer, or dance on the head of a pin is immaterial - they are continuing to bring attention to a place that needs it desperately - they need money, a better facility, and - more importantly - a different mind set. I wrote a letter to Dr Pizano expressing my displeasure with how Roxy had been handled - however, it was polite and articulate, and would have given her the chance to respond and perhaps set the record straight, as sometimes information is distorted......She however chose to ignore it.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Anja - I totally agree with you. It brings attention and today the protest was in downtown Miami, not way out at animal control. It has been widely covered by local tv news; if I had known about it, I would have gone to the protest. I think Roxy is getting some justice and perhaps helping others. Unfortunately we have a county with no money and a governor who is a monster - he truly is - beyond belief and will not help anyone who is not a corporate buddy of his and therefore is cutting every possible funding for the county, including elderly, schools, etc. But there are people in Miami with personal funds, i.e., the local humane society is very well funded, who could and should help animal control. Perhaps this will help somewhat. The governor - we can only hope he self destructs with his single minded corporate greed.

Mary Lou
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

I think that those protestors ought to be putting their money where their mouthes are. How many of them have gone to the shelter and said, how much money do you need, and how can I help?

Maybe those protestors should be following the yayhoos who drop their dogs off home and protest them.

Maybe they should get together and work to help people keep their dogs, educate people on how to manage their dogs, train their dogs, and put together a fund to help people pay for vet care if they are having a rough time of it.

Instead of complaining outside a pound, about the method of killing animals, maybe they should be going after the reason those animals are getting killed. Most workers do not want to kill the animals. But with limited time, space, and resources, they are often required to do so. So make it that much harder on them instead of doing anything constructive.

I guess you can tell I am not a fan of protestors.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Master Member

Miami is also having a distemper outbreak....just a side note to all owners in South Florida to make sure their animals are updated!

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Knighted Member

While I think there do need to be changes at the Miami-Dade shelter, I agree with a lot of selzer's points as well. I remember Roxy's thread and I signed the petition. There was a rescue that was willing to take her but she had already been pts. She deserved better than she got.

At the same time, if all of those people who are protesting would donate money or even better open up their home's to foster with a rescue, that would be a lot better than holding a sign.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page