Looking To Rescue/Adopt Adult Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Carol A.
Looking To Rescue/Adopt Adult Shepherd

<span style="color: #6666CC"> </span> Hi!! My name is Carol and I currently do fostering in Baltimore,Maryland!! I'm actually looking to adopt/rescue an adult German Shepherd. I have a rancher on a farm in Upper Baltimore County. I had a black and tan male as a child and he was literally MY BEST FRIEND. We went everywhere together all day long. Well, I'm not a child anymore, but do have kids of my own. (teenagers) I would like for them to be able to have an experience of living with a German Shepherd before they move out, so they can see what an awesome dog this breed is. I had to wait this long to get another one because of them being young and living in houses and apartments that didn't allow large breeds. Now that I have my house on the farm, I am desperately seeking to find another best friend. I'm looking for a male between the ages of 1-4, prefer neutered and utd on shots. He must be good with older kids,cats and other dogs cause as I said I do fostering. Please, I have been searching high and low for an adult, I'm not into that puppy thing anymore. If anyone can direct me I would be most grateful!

I am a foster as well as a small rescue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Looking To Rescue/Adopt Adult Shepherd

Oh, I know someone here can help you!
Let us know when you find him!

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

That would be awesome and I sure will post if I find my new friend. In fact you may not get me to ever shut-up about it!!! LOL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Knighted Member

Keep watching the GSD rescue forum, urgent and nonurgent, there have been recenlty some gorgeous GSD that fit your exact requirements. One was a free fully trained GSD on craiglist but was in MA. Sometime they have them closer to MD. Good luck and let us know when you find him. Also watch petfinder.com.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome! What is the name of your rescue? Or who you foster for-or is it both!

Have you looked on Petfinder much? Are you looking for a straight shelter to adopt? Or to adopt from rescue-since you want good with dogs, cats, kids-where that would be checked in a foster home with all those things?

Good luck in your search-check out the "do you know where that dog is going w/Rhaya's post" sticky post in this section-so that if people start asking questions, you'll know why!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks for wanting to adopt a GSD. We adopt dogs to folks in MD all the time.

Please check out http://www.shepherdrescue.org

We are holding a huge adoption event on Sunday in Gainesville VA.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried the Mid Atlantic Shepherd Rescue? They are a great group in your area and they have a large number of wonderful dogs available for adoption. Another natural way would be to go through the organization you foster for. Have they done a home visit for you yet?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank You Everyone for the info. I don't wish to get into it but I will not use MAGSR and my rescue is Carol's Pet Rescue. Just recently re-started now that I am living on a farm property. Back in the days, my old rescue was Action Pet Rescue. I am currently fostering for BARCS, was going to foster for The Love Of Shepherds, but she had a problem with me wanting to foster a dog that I would adopt and instead wanted to give me her choice and she didn't even know if it would eat my cats. Needless to say, I'm not fostering for her. I have tryed Pet-Finders, Local Shelters, There was 1 at BARCS the other day, but I was told they give them to rescues, so I wasn't even given the option to try to adopt him. It seems like a never ending nightmare. But, I won't stop looking. I know my new baby is out there somewhere and I'm determined to find him!!

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Your post caught my eye as i was browsing to find info to help us in adopting. 2 months ago we lost our best friend "Marco". Since then we have decided to try adoption this time. Maybe we are expecting too much but we would see a dog that we thought would be a good addition to our home and so we would fill out an application. The most we got was an e-mail confirming reciept of our application. The dogs came and went. Maybe we are getting the cart ahead of the horse but it seems that we would have to fill out many, many applic. and get approved on them all in order to be able to get a dog when we see it. We realize that the rescues are volunteers that are very busy with everything they are trying to do and we surely don't want to add to this but it has been really difficult in the communication department. The closest rescue is about 5 hrs. away-do you think distance has something to do with it? of course you don't know us from adam but we are shepherd savvy people and would provide a wonderful home for one. Any advice is welcome-what is the best way to go about this.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RemoThanks for wanting to adopt a GSD. We adopt dogs to folks in MD all the time.

Please check out http://www.shepherdrescue.org

We are holding a huge adoption event on Sunday in Gainesville VA.
We adopted our guy from VGSR and saw him at Gainseville for the first time and Front Royal the second time. Worth the drive from Maryland every time. They are a great group to deal with and hopefully one of these days we'll find the right dog to foster through them.

Understand the PITA it is to fill out applications with various rescues and the worst part was having your references pestered multiple times. After being approved by several groups we waited until we found the dog we wanted with VGSR before putting our app in but be warned you risk losing the dog you want if you wait.

Keep an eye on your local animal control as I am sure they are receiving shepherds and the PG County animal control always seems to have them so check with them.

Good Luck

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page