Treat recipes for dummies? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM

I use the same basic skeleton for pretty much all my treats:
Main meat (beef, liver, tuna, salmon, etc)
1-2 eggs
barley, oat, or chickpea flour

-If I want to make something with no grains for my allergy dogs, I'll boil sweet potatoes until they're soft and mash them up to use, or I'll use something like chickpea flour.

But basically, I throw my meat ingredient and egg(s) into the bowl and mix it up and then mix in about a half cup of flour/potato/whatever at a time until I get a doughy consistency that's pulling away from the sides of the bowl.

I grease up a cookie sheet, press the mixture into the sheet from edge to edge and then bake at 350 at intervals of 30 minutes - bake, cool, check, bake, cool, check. It usually only takes two or three blasts in the oven before they're nice and firm.

If I have a larger batch, I just judge when they're done based on how firm and springy they feel after the pan has cooled off. Then I can just use a pizza cutter to slice off tons of little training treats.

Garlic is only dangerous to dogs in very large amounts. I will sometimes add a tiny bit of garlic to the treats to give them a unique smell, but only one in about every five batches I make has garlic and it only takes about half a teaspoon of dried garlic to be something for my dogs to get fired up about.

I mostly like this recipe because it's one of the easiest ways for me to just pick up canned tuna, sardine, turkey, whatever that's on sale at the grocery store and have quick cheap treats. It's also very easy to modify. Want a tuna and cheese treat? Throw in a handful of shredded cheese. Want a peanut butter and ham treat? Mix a big ol' glob of PB in there! It can be fun testing out which combinations hit the money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Highest value home made treat I've found: 3 calves livers. Broil them. Cut them up and stick them in freezer bags. Done.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Simple Dimple Frozen Rice Cupcakes

Tools
1 large bowl
1 cupcake pan (12 cake capacity is what I use)
1 cup measuring cup
ziploc bag
hammer or pulverizer (for kibble)
1 tablespoon measuring spoon
Pan to cook rice
Freezer to freeze goodies

Ingredients
2 c. dry kibble
3 tbsp. peanut butter
2 c. rice (which turns into about 5,000 cups---just kidding--yields about 7/8 c. cooked rice)
3 tbsp. (generous) of either yogurt or cottage cheese

1) Pound kibble (or pop in food processor and blend) into small pieces (not dust, but majority broken down)

2) While rice is cooking (water to boil, add rice, cook for @5 minutes) mix pounded kibble, PB and yogurt/cottage cheese in bowl and use hands to make into large sized balls (I make a bit bigger so they overflow in cupcake pan--about 2" and smaller ones, too)

3) roll mixture in cooked rice (after letting it cool; that is a mistake you only make once!) and pack tightly, again, into 2" balls and place in cupcake pan

4) Freeze! Pop in freezer (we leave uncovered) for a couple hours or overnight...they last (when frozen, uncovered) about 5 days, although with 2 dogs, more like 3 days...we make more large, 2" sized ones, but also smaller cakes.

They love 'em!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020080.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	278266  

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaythethird View Post
Mine prefer pomeranian plain and fresh. :-D
I'm pretty sure that was suppose to be...pomegranate!
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM

I make treats by taking scraps of leftover meat (or the fat) and grease from cooking the meat and mix it up with kibble. Just enough so the kibble is lightly covered. Last night I made bacon cheeseburgers, so he got bacon and ground beef grease, along with some pieces of cheese. I mixed it with 4 cups of kibble and put in the freezer. I stir every ten minutes or so when first freezing our it ends up one big frozen lump. We also have way more venison than we will ever eat, so he gets hunks of that too.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 PM

Easy Liver Treats

1 pound chub of Liver Wurst.
around a cup of bread flour
half tea spoon of garlic powder.
half a cup of dried Parmesan cheese
toss all the above in a mixer bowl,
mix while adding milk and some butter.

When the dough consistency makes you happy, roll the dough out on a cookie sheet like a pizza dough. Bake at 350 degrees.
Cut up into little squares with a pizza cutter.
I freeze baggies full of these.

They are also good with ranch dip in case you need a snack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page