5Likes
  • 1 Post By squerly
  • 1 Post By squerly
  • 2 Post By squerly
  • 1 Post By squerly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Chicken McTreats :-)

As a follow-up to the many threads referencing making doggie treats at home vs. spending a small fortune to purchase factory made treats.

We’ve been giving our dogs “Grillers” (treats made by Nudges) for many years but the price has climbed to almost $25.00 for a 2.25 lb bag. That’s almost $11.00 per lb and a little more than I care to pay for a bag of ready-made treats.

So yesterday we were at Wall-Mart and bought a whole bunch of boneless chicken breasts. These things are HUGE! Price was a shade under $2.00 per lb. I took them home, sliced them relatively thin and put them in the dehydrator. And this AM I have healthy dog treats for a fraction of the cost of Grillers.

The down side is I have to keep them refrigerated but that’s a small price to pay for knowing where the treats came from and the huge costs savings. And as a side benefit, I can eat em too!

Disclaimer: This content of this thread was tested and approved of by 2 spoiled GSD's.
lalabug likes this.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
The down side is I have to keep them refrigerated but that’s a small price to pay for knowing where the treats came from and the huge costs savings. And as a side benefit, I can eat em too!
Are you saying you dehydrate raw chicken and take occasional nibbles too, or do you bake/cook them first? If raw, sounds dangerous to human health due to salmonella. I do like the idea though of making your own natural treats for your dogs sans raw, if you also partake!

“I sometimes look into the face of my dog Stan and see a wistful sadness and existential angst, when all he is actually doing is slowly scanning the ceiling for flies.”

~ Merrill Markoe (author, Nose Down, Eyes Up )
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch Hardtack View Post
Are you saying you dehydrate raw chicken and take occasional nibbles too, or do you bake/cook them first? If raw, sounds dangerous to human health due to salmonella. I do like the idea though of making your own natural treats for your dogs sans raw, if you also partake!
I cut the chicken thin enough that 15+ hours in the dehydrator produces a crispy treat. I've been making Jerky out of turkey for years but this time I made it out of chicken, with no marinate, and called it a dog treat.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
I cut the chicken thin enough that 15+ hours in the dehydrator produces a crispy treat. I've been making Jerky out of turkey for years but this time I made it out of chicken, with no marinate, and called it a dog treat.
I'm assuming then from your answer that it's safe to eat dehydrated poultry. Having a dehydrator myself, that's good to know.

“I sometimes look into the face of my dog Stan and see a wistful sadness and existential angst, when all he is actually doing is slowly scanning the ceiling for flies.”

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch Hardtack View Post
I'm assuming then from your answer that it's safe to eat dehydrated poultry. Having a dehydrator myself, that's good to know.
lol, I will admit that when you first put it in the dehydrator it looks pretty nasty. But as the hours tick by it looks better and better. Depending on the dehydrator you may want to leave it in longer but you can tell from looking at it. By all means, error on the side of over-dehydration instead of under.
Crunch Hardtack likes this.

Jim
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Here are the finished Chicken Chips. The darker ones were put in a marinade overnight before spending a day in the dehydrator, the lighter one is just chicken. The dogs love em both!
Attached Images

lalabug and Crunch Hardtack like this.

Jim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 AM

Yer makin' me hungry!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

Looks great. I've got lots BL/SL Chicken in the freezer.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

On a side note, depending on how thin you slice the chicken, these can be pretty sharp on the edges. It's probably a good idea to slice them a little thicker and spend some extra time in the dehydrator. Also, if you are giving them to a puppy, or a dog that gulps their treats, it may be necessary to break them up into smaller pieces so they don't choke on them. These chicken chips will be somewhere between chewy and crunchy, depending on the amount of time they spend in the dehydrator so use common sense when feeding your pups.
Crunch Hardtack likes this.

Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

In the evolving "Make treats out of chicken" endeavor I chopped up raw, boneless chicken breasts into nice sized strips and chunks. Then boiled them until they were fully cooked. Then we toss them in a freezer bag and into the freezer they go. If they chunks freeze together, no problem. Just bang the bag against the counter top once or twice and they all just break apart.

The "treats" will store for a real long time, much longer than they actually last. The dogs really like them and they are a lot less messy to handle too!
Attached Images

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page