Chicken Wealthy! Any treat ideas? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By llombardo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Chicken Wealthy! Any treat ideas?

I was at Safeway early this morning. The butcher caught me and said I have no bones for Summer, sorry - but here's something you might be able to use...

So, I have 16lbs of Chicken breasts in the freezer -49 cents a pound. Whoopie!!! They were use or freeze by tomorrow. They are 2.5lb +- packages.

I want to cook 4 at a time in the crock pot and then chunk up in smaller portions and refreeze for training treats. Is there anything else yummy but not too messy that I can mix in with the meat? Is it ok to give a dog partially frozen training treats when doing mild training/exercising in Summer heat? Her training/play sessions are broken up to about 6 times a day...we have 15 hours of daylight here this time of year so it's like two days in one.

I make her wait till she's way cooled down before the afternoon meal and she's in AC most of the time (house w/me). I just don't know if it's ok to use this meat for training outside if she's a little warm????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

if using for training treats, I'd dehydrate them instead. it's a bit easier on you.
I do dehydrated chicken liver, sprinkled with garlic. Many also sprinkle chicken with garlic
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
if using for training treats, I'd dehydrate them instead. it's a bit easier on you.
I do dehydrated chicken liver, sprinkled with garlic. Many also sprinkle chicken with garlic
That was my first preference. But a couple of months ago - I spend the day looking at dehydrator methods and all of them said the dehydrated meat would only be good up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I've got a 5 stack dehydrator but it seemed all that (probably 8 or more batches vs cooking 6lbs at a time in the crock - and longer storage time.... The bit of garlic sprinkle is what I was thinking of too. Do you refreeze the dehydrated chicken liver or do you feed it within 2 weeks??

Makes me wonder what chemicals they put in the shelf storage jerkey that's ok for up to a year....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

You can dehydrate, freeze, take out when needed.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
You can dehydrate, freeze, take out when needed.
Thank You! But - is there any benefit to dehydrating vs just chunking and freezing in small bags other than your hands won't get as messy when using? That seems a looong extra step to prevent messy hands....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Thank You! But - is there any benefit to dehydrating vs just chunking and freezing in small bags other than your hands won't get as messy when using? That seems a looong extra step to prevent messy hands....
It might last longer dehydrated but the biggest benefit is the lack of mess. I did that a long time ago. I couldn't touch anything, then the napkin stuck to my hand. I never did it again.
Stonevintage likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I got this 800 roll of thin plastic gloves for $2.50. My girl does not grab treats but takes them very gently.... that was my thought... just putting the bag on the outdoor table and using one of the gloves to treat.

Summer's a yard/house dog now. I couldn't train her apparently, or wasn't doing it right not to be DA. So I'm not walking her out of the yard anymore where this treating can get too messy for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page