training treats that don't need baking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

training treats that don't need baking

I want to make my own training treats for my new puppy but I'm currently restoring my house and don't have access to an oven, though I do have a gas stove.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

I use chicken hotdogs. No cooking required.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

Next time you go to the grocery store, pick up a good size round steak, or two smaller ones.
1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has a round bone in it, remove that too.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the steak into manageable squares or rectangles.
3. Choose a large fry pan (non stick works the easiest) and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the steak pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink. Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into seal-able snack baggies, then place those baggies into a seal-able freezer baggie and place in freezer. On the day you are going to training, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will be un-thawed by the time you are ready for class that evening. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will un-thaw quickly in your pocket.
You can also do the same with calf’s liver. After it is unfrozen, soak up the excess blood with paper towel, and proceed starting with #3 as above (you won’t have to cut this first). Only braise the liver long enough on both sides (don’t thoroughly cook it) as it only needs to be cooked to a “medium” range, otherwise it will get crumbly. Drain the liquid during cooking if needed.

This will make about 500 treats and they don't have the chemicals in them that most commercial treats have!

The process takes a little time but saves a lot of $$ and the dogs go crazy for them!
Hope this helps!
Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Master Member

They're a bit pricey, but Zukes are nice too! And Charlie Bears are cheap, and there's a lot of them, but they're a bit on the larger size. Along with what others suggested

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

You can nuke hot dogs so they are stiff and not as moist in your pocket. Gets the juice out of them. just slice them up and put them on a paper towel and nuke them. Lots. I use zukes mini-naturals because I do not like the gunk in my pocket.

Take a tube of string cheese, and cut into small pieces, I have to use a plastic baggie for that because I do not like the gunk in my pocket.

Some people use a carpenter's belt to put treats in.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Elite Member

My girl likes stinky cheese way more than meat, she goes nuts. I like provolone, parmesan reggiano rinds, mozz, and romano. I just happen to like italian cheese so thats what ive tried.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

buy treats.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
buy treats.

Besides stuff that's fairly bad for them (hot dogs) not much will be readily taken in a raw form. Zeke loved carrots as a pup but Berlin says no thank you.

I buy the vital complete meal in the bag, not the rolled form. I loved it. Already comes in a treat size circle. Is a little wet on the hands and has a strong odor, smells kind of good actually. You can get 3 or 5 lb bags at petco and it last a while (in the fridge!) If there is a kroger store in your area, like a king soopers, the sell a store brand version thats almost identical for half the price (11 $ vs. 20-something $)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page