Help, please!!!... diarrhea/giardia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Help, please!!!... diarrhea/giardia

My puppy and I have been battling with diarrhea since the day I got her from the breeder 2 and half months ago. Found out she had giardia, put her on panacur, then tested positive again, and started Drandon and Flagyl... Still, a ton of "very" soft stools, almost lose. I have bought the best food money can buy, then tried the LID, and the fresh organic chicken breast and rice (alone or with kibbles mixed in). If I feed her mostly rice, I am afraid she won't grow adequately. I add some fish oil to the rice, plus a chondroitin supplement and a tab of vitamin. Still, her stool is so soft, and lots of it! At almost 6 months she weighs only 31 lbs. I'm pretty upset. Don't know what to do anymore... The vet game this bag of Purina EN food, but I haven't even opened it because I don't believe purina makes great doog food.
I wanted to stop feeding her for a day or two, to see if the diarrhea would go away, but with her slow growth issue I think the last thing she needs is less food... yet, the food goes through one end and out the other! Changing food can cause the diarrhea too... so what is one supposed to do???!!
If any of you have suggestions, please, let me know. I am afraid she'll get very sick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

ears

By the way, I forgot to mention that her ears had been standing totally straight for a month. But three days ago she woke up and one ear is totally flopping down again. Any idea?..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

I don't like Purina, but Purina EN food got Zeus on his feet, and he loved it. We had the same giardia issue for 3 weeks.

I have a little left and use it as training treats lol... he will do back flips for it.

This food is the same as boiled chicken and rice and many dogs with really bad stomach, live a good life on this food.

takes 2-3 days for normal stool.

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

When Dante was 4 mos he had Giardia. What our vet had us do was 3 days of Panacur then 7 days off then 3 more days of it. We also cleaned the yard continuously. Our vet was very specific boiled white rice & chicken nothing else for a month. We added in a multi vitamin, and GI distress supplement. When he was rechecked at the end of a month everything was normal and I switched him to a raw diet. It was the best thing I could have done for him. Now he has a great appetite, normal stools, and he just looks and seems happier. He is now almost 7 months.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

We had a bout of persistent giardia when Stella was younger. We did the Flagyl and Panacur route 2x. Boiled chicken and rice too. Also gave a probiotic daily. After having the giardia, her digestive system needed some time to recuperate. I also added canned pumpkin to her rice/chicken meals. (plain pumpkin, not the kind for pie). She has grown to be a big girl even with the lengthy rice/chicken/pumpkin regimen. Someone told me not to rush the regular food after a bout of giardia....it takes time for the tummy to heal. At some point I gave some slippery elm to help with the diarrhea.
Can't comment on floppy ear....never had to deal with that.
Hang in there. Don't rush the "regular" food.

I want to add.....I cleaned everything as much as I could and kept the yard picked up.

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by katdog5911; 04-01-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page