Kong Recipes - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Kong Recipes

Thanks to Wild Wolf, and her article on Kong recipes, I have been experimenting with some stuff! Anyone else who wants to post what they stuff in their dogs Kong's feel free, i'd love to try more things out.

Hope Wild Wolf doesn't mind, I'm going to post a link to her article here incase anyone hasn't read it, her entire blog is great- Delicious recipes to fill your dog's Kong toy with! - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist and Dog Trainer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog!

Peanut Butter Yogurt
Peanut Butter
Yogurt (Plain)
Yogurt drops
Small crunchy treats

Berry Yogurt
Yogurt
Mixed Berries Baby food
Honey
Cream Cheese
Crunchy treats/yogurt drops mixed in

Peanut Pumpkin Yogurt
Yogurt (plain)
Pumpkin
Peanut Butter
Honey
Mixed in some crunchy treats

So far I have only tried the above, but I am going to scramble some eggs today, mix it with some shredded cheese, and stuff it in his Kong. Hope he likes

Also bought these ingredients that I havent used yet:
Cottage Cheese
Applesauce (plain)
Canned Cheese (american)
Appsauce

I also bought some baby food - bananas, squash, mixed berries, etc.

I decided to try baby food because I had tried mashing a banana, and he didnt like it. The baby food works good.

Can you stuff/mix some coconut oil in there too?

PLease share your kong stuffn ideas!

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Great ideas! I normally just stuff our kongs with peanut butter or roasted and peeled mashed sweet potato. Both of which, my girls love
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
How about making your own yogurt for the recipes?

1 quart milk
1/2-1 cup powdered milk
6 oz (or so) live culture* yogurt
1 tbsp honey (option)

Heat milk to approx 120* degrees. Mix in powdered milk, the more you use the thicker the yogurt will be and higher protein. Add honey if you're using it (said to be food for the cultures but theres enough sugar in the milk imo.) In a container add a small amount of heated milk to the yogurt and stir. Add more milk to yogurt slowly while stirring, once about half of the milk has been added you can add the rest more quickly or add the milk and yogurt back to the rest of the milk. This is tempering the yogurt so the heat doesn't kill off the cultures.

Ferment at around 110 degrees for 8-12 hours. The longer you ferment the thicker the yogurt. You can ferment in various ways, some use a crock pot on the lowest setting with water and then the container of yogurt in the water bath. You can wrap a heating pad around the container of yogurt, but if the heating pad has an automatic shut off make sure to keep turning it back on. I'll stick it in my car in the middle of summer sometimes.

You can reuse the yogurt you made as your starter for your next batch but only do this 7 times as after that many the yeast can start to overtake the probiotics. Recipe can be doubled, I usually make more than a quart at a time.

*make sure the yogurt says CONTAINS live cultures, not made from live cultures. All yogurt is made from live cultures, its what makes it yogurt. But many popular brands such as yoplait kill the cultures before shipping it out for longer shelf life. Organic brands/quality greek brands are usually the best bet for containing live cultures.

*if you don't have a thermometer, heat it to feeling hot to the touch but not so hot you can't keep your finger submerged. Overheating will kill the cultures in the yogurt.

Once you've made the yogurt, you can of course make it into any flavor you want such as adding pureed fruit, peanut butter, etc. And can be frozen into ice cubes for a fun summer treat or frozen inside the kong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSable View Post
Great ideas! I normally just stuff our kongs with peanut butter or roasted and peeled mashed sweet potato. Both of which, my girls love
Ooh, never heard of roasted mashed sweet potato! Ill have to try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
How about making your own yogurt for the recipes?

1 quart milk
1/2-1 cup powdered milk
6 oz (or so) live culture* yogurt
1 tbsp honey (option)

Heat milk to approx 120* degrees. Mix in powdered milk, the more you use the thicker the yogurt will be and higher protein. Add honey if you're using it (said to be food for the cultures but theres enough sugar in the milk imo.) In a container add a small amount of heated milk to the yogurt and stir. Add more milk to yogurt slowly while stirring, once about half of the milk has been added you can add the rest more quickly or add the milk and yogurt back to the rest of the milk. This is tempering the yogurt so the heat doesn't kill off the cultures.

Ferment at around 110 degrees for 8-12 hours. The longer you ferment the thicker the yogurt. You can ferment in various ways, some use a crock pot on the lowest setting with water and then the container of yogurt in the water bath. You can wrap a heating pad around the container of yogurt, but if the heating pad has an automatic shut off make sure to keep turning it back on. I'll stick it in my car in the middle of summer sometimes.

You can reuse the yogurt you made as your starter for your next batch but only do this 7 times as after that many the yeast can start to overtake the probiotics. Recipe can be doubled, I usually make more than a quart at a time.

*make sure the yogurt says CONTAINS live cultures, not made from live cultures. All yogurt is made from live cultures, its what makes it yogurt. But many popular brands such as yoplait kill the cultures before shipping it out for longer shelf life. Organic brands/quality greek brands are usually the best bet for containing live cultures.

*if you don't have a thermometer, heat it to feeling hot to the touch but not so hot you can't keep your finger submerged. Overheating will kill the cultures in the yogurt.

Once you've made the yogurt, you can of course make it into any flavor you want such as adding pureed fruit, peanut butter, etc. And can be frozen into ice cubes for a fun summer treat or frozen inside the kong.
Wow thanks Lin! I had no idea making your own yogurt was so easy! LOL! The way I am going through yogurt these days, I might have to try this!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

Love K9 Instinct...

Stark and Zefra benefit from having such a great Auntie who knows her stuff!

Also, try the homemade doggy cookies! My crew would do back flips for them!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

It really is super easy! And of course the recipe is fine for humans as well The recipe was for humans, and after I made it a few times I started changing things up like extra powdered milk for thicker yogurt, going by feeling instead of thermometer, throwing the jars in my car to ferment lol. The last one I probably wouldn't recommend when its for human consumption though!

I'll also substitute kefir for the yogurt and follow the recipe the same way, kefir has slightly different cultures. Kefir for humans is usually drinkable but I like it thicker for the dogs so the yogurt recipe works well. Oh and kefir will also ferment in coconut milk as well, so there are options to change things up like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lin; 03-05-2013 at 08:31 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
It really is super easy! And of course the recipe is fine for humans as well The recipe was for humans, and after I made it a few times I started changing things up like extra powdered milk for thicker yogurt, going by feeling instead of thermometer, throwing the jars in my car to ferment lol. The last one I probably wouldn't recommend when its for human consumption though!

I'll also substitute kefir for the yogurt and follow the recipe the same way, kefir has slightly different cultures. Kefir for humans is usually drinkable but I like it thicker for the dogs so the yogurt recipe works well.
LOL! Fermenting yogurt in your car! Innovative What is Kefir?! Never heard of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Love K9 Instinct...

Stark and Zefra benefit from having such a great Auntie who knows her stuff!

Also, try the homemade doggy cookies! My crew would do back flips for them!
Oh I bet, they are lucky! Haha and me too- I love her blog! Berlin loooooves all those Kong recipes on there. The cookies are next on my list, they sound so good, and I bet he will love them as well!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Kefir is technically a fermented milk drink. Its usually the consistency of drinkable yogurt. You can get kefir from the grocery store as well. Its said to be better than yogurt probiotic wise, has more cultures. I bought kefir starter though when I was using it. I still have some packs of starter, I think its freeze dried or something. The packs I got are like the yogurt where they say a limit of how many times you should reuse them as starter. But maybe thats just to make you buy more lol. People can get kefir grains and keep it going indefinitely like sourdough starter, but I think that requires some actual know-how.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Kefir is technically a fermented milk drink. Its usually the consistency of drinkable yogurt. You can get kefir from the grocery store as well. Its said to be better than yogurt probiotic wise, has more cultures. I bought kefir starter though when I was using it. I still have some packs of starter, I think its freeze dried or something. The packs I got are like the yogurt where they say a limit of how many times you should reuse them as starter. But maybe thats just to make you buy more lol. People can get kefir grains and keep it going indefinitely like sourdough starter, but I think that requires some actual know-how.
Oooh, so kinda like Danimals, lol. But i'm sure not as tasty I'll have to look for some Kefir then...think like Jewel would have it? And what section of the store do I even begin to look in?!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Comes in large bottles, not single servings like yogurt. It will be in or near the diary isle, I've seen it closer to the orange juice than the milk before but it depends on the individual store. I'm not sure if it comes in plain so if you're buying it just for the dogs be aware of the sugar content.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page