Comparison between raw diet and kibble - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Well, I know people that eat a completely healthy diet and die young. I also know people who eat like crap and live to be very old.

No ONE thing works best for all circumstances.

That being said - when I switched my dogs to raw I found less shedding, greater energy, better focus, less scratching, less output (poop) and better breath.

I managed to get a dog off high doses of steroids when she was switched to raw. I managed/limited my Cocker's seizures by switching to raw.

I've fed raw to over 13 dogs, numerous fosters and raised 3 litters of puppies directly to raw (weaned from Mom to raw - never tasted kibble).

I never had a Shepherd bloat on raw (had one bloat on kibble before I switched). In his 13+ years of life my Cocker Spaniel only had problems with his ears when he would manage to get into something with carbs (like when he stole a loaf of bread from the counter).

Is raw the best? I personally believe so.

But when it comes to kibble - there are definitely ones that are MUCH better than others. Pretty much anything found in a grocery store is not worth the money. You are paying for fillers that just make your dog poop more and get less nutrition.
Do you have a recipe or anything? I was reading one of my dogs' food ingredients today (she has wet food), and two of the first 5 ingredients were animal liver and meat by products. ECK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
Do you have a recipe or anything? I was reading one of my dogs' food ingredients today (she has wet food), and two of the first 5 ingredients were animal liver and meat by products. ECK!
Liver is a very good vitamin source and one of the main organs fed in a raw diet. Organ meat is never bad unless fed in excess

And as long as it's named meat by-products arent always necessarily bad. However usually they are (for example, chicken feathers legally count as by-products but hold little nutritional value.)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
It was probably a smaller dog that choked on a larger turkey neck bone. Sadly some people have little common sense.

Raw chicken bones digest VERY easily since chickens are slaughtered very young and are not fully mature. Unless your dog chokes its not going to splinter and kill it. Ive seen dogs come in choking on treats, on rawhide, I saw a small chihuahua choke on the very large prescription diet kibble for the owners lab. T/D is a science diet prescription food sold by vets that helps keep teeth clean, the kibble is very large to promote chewing. Probably a bit larger than a quarter. Had a 1 year old lab brought in DEAD - owners were gone and it git its head caught in a cheeto bag and suffocated.

The only issue I had with raw - when luther was 13 weeks old the first time he ate raw the chicken quarter bone got stuck on his back tooth and he freaked out. Never had a problem since.

Point is anything can pose a choking risk. You shouldnt feed cooked bones because they splinter and can greatly damage the gi tract. Larger heavy bones like beef and pork bones are even more dangerous because they're harder. Not only do they not digest as easily so you have a higher risk of causing an intestinal obstruction, but they can also break the teeth because they are so hard.

@Anubis_Star the dog who choked was a Pit bull Border collie mix he was around 60-80lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

The place I buy raw has a sign up that some dogs can choke on turkey necks, so to be cautious. They recommend bashing it a bit with a meat mallet or something, to break the bones up a wee bit.

I feed mostly chicken backs and necks, which I think are a bit easier to crunch up, and duck feet too
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Dog kibble is a cooked and processed cereal, largely filled with grains and starches that are otherwise indigestible by carnivores and would NEVER be eaten in the wild, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, and coated in fat to make it appetizing and enticing.

Dogs and cats are really the only animals kept as pets that are commonly fed a diet that differs so much from their natural diet, and it doesnt make sense. Many common fish keepers feed flakes, but more experience fish keepers will feed live and frozen whole foods, and species appropriate foods. We feed pellets largely to birds, but these are commonly mixed with seeds, nuts, fresh fruits and vegetables. Some horses are kept on pellets but many are fed a hay and field based diet. Feeding cows a processed, poor diet that was largely cannibalistic (high in beef protein) was the cause of mad cow disease! And none of these herbivore pets are fed fake processed foods high in meat protein (except the cow at times and look what happened there). So why anyone believes processed corn protein is better for our carnivorous pets is beyond me.

The best and most species appropriate diet is raw meat, bones, and organ. This is the easiest for them to digest because it's what they are anatomically and biologically designed to digest. Much less stress on the gi system and overall better absorption and utilization of digested nutrients.

If you feed kibble will I judge you? NO. Raw feeding isnt for everyone. Ive been feeding kibble since my dad passed away in june because I havent had the time, energy, or space to prepare and store enough raw food to feed 5 lbs a day between the 2 boys and still be able to buy enough in bulk that it's economical. And that's ok. There are better quality kibbles. I feed canidae pure because it's grain free and limited ingredients. I will go back to raw in the future.

And there are many dogs that do fine on kibble. Is a raw diet the BEST for them? YES I 100% believe so and will argue thst until the day I die. But the best diet for humans would be a neanderthal based diet - no seasonings outside of limited salt use, no grains, limited starch, no sauces, mostly raw, etc... most people simply wont do that. I sure wont. But you can have thay mcdonalds every now and then, splurge on an ice cream cone, as long as you're active, fit, and try to eat a well balanced diet, it's not going to kill you. Most things are fine in moderation

Umm I don't think a mostly raw meat diet is going to be very good for humans. People turn carbs into energy MUCH more efficiently than meat, not to mention we're a lot more likely to get sick from raw meat.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Elite Member

20 years ago dogs were just given table scarps, the occasion bone, even the cooked bone from a leg of lamb roast, they were given cheap canned wet food and or dry from the supermarket and I don't recall hearing of dogs having nearly as many medical issues then as they do today. Unless these issues just went undetected? The dogs were healthy, lived long, were able to roam the streets (prop not such a good thing considering the fighting) and seemed to know their place.

I've rasied dogs on Pal (cheap supermarket food) a long time ago and now I have a bitch with HD and hormonal issues and a male with EPI and they are both feed raw and grain free good quality kibble! Just makes you wonder.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
20 years ago dogs were just given table scarps, the occasion bone, even the cooked bone from a leg of lamb roast, they were given cheap canned wet food and or dry from the supermarket and I don't recall hearing of dogs having nearly as many medical issues then as they do today. Unless these issues just went undetected? The dogs were healthy, lived long, were able to roam the streets (prop not such a good thing considering the fighting) and seemed to know their place.

I've rasied dogs on Pal (cheap supermarket food) a long time ago and now I have a bitch with HD and hormonal issues and a male with EPI and they are both feed raw and grain free good quality kibble! Just makes you wonder.
20 years ago there were not that many venues to discuss cons and pros of anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page