I would like a new recipe... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

I would like a new recipe...

So my boy mavrik had to go off of royal canin due to an allergy and is now on blue buffalo and doesn't get as excited at meal time any more and he's looking a tad bit skinnier I'm wondering if anyone could give me recipes of way they add to they're food? And also what veggies are healthy for gsd's? Measurements and all- I wanna hear it thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Master Member

Oh, boy. As I'm writing this, I've got a kitchen that looks like a cafeteria. I make a supplement that I feed to my senior girl because she's not interested in her kibble these days. She's about 14. She's a GSD rescue, so give or take a year or so. I also add it to my puppy's food. But this is just a supplement. Instead of using canned food. I've gotten friends' dogs hooked on this, so I'm making extra batches. It freezes well. Basically, I combine several types of meats, making that the main ingredients, with plenty of veggies and a little pinhead oatmeal and some brown rice. In a stock pot, add your grains (brown rice, pinhead oats, etc.) and add water about 3/4 of the way up. Add some chicken or turkey parts, and add hearts and gizzards. (Make sure to get all of the cooked bones out! If you use turkey drumsticks, note that they have tons of sliver-like bone.) I add carrots, peel on, and lots of sweet potatoes (which don't take long to cook), chopped with skin on. Sometimes if there's a beef roast on sale, I'll chop it up and throw it in. I found beef shank meat today and added that. I add a bit of garlic powder, too. Just throw it all in a stock pot and that's it. OK, I juge it up a bit, but that's the basic idea. Just don't cook it to death. That's why I start the grains first as they take a long time to cook It ends up like a mush or the inside of a pot pie. Add any veggies your dog might like. Green bean, greens, peas (my dogs leave the peas.), squash, including pumpkin. Leave out onions. I add a bit to the dogs' food with some warm water, along with the kibble and they love it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Master Member

here are some....full instructions included.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/docum...Supplement.pdf

BTW crappier popular brands have to spray "flavor" on their food to get the dogs to eat it....your dog may be reacting to the difference in smell. These recipes are grain free and raw, which I would encourage, particularly if your dog has allergies.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
here are some....full instructions included.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/docum...Supplement.pdf

BTW crappier popular brands have to spray "flavor" on their food to get the dogs to eat it....your dog may be reacting to the difference in smell. These recipes are grain free and raw, which I would encourage, particularly if your dog has allergies.

Thanks that site helped me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page