Homemade canned - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Homemade canned

Home-made canned.

My little dog Louis (weenie dog) has about 1/2 his teeth left. So, the best option for him is a soft food - i.e. canned. Well, I don't really trust canned (i.e. the recalls in 2007). So I worked up a recipe that comes very close to canned consistency and one that he will eat.

This is for a approx 10 lbs dog - so change up as necessary for the weight of your dog.

1. brown some lean ground beef (85% or leaner) - for Louis about .05 - .10 oz

2. make mashed potatoes - I use instant with no BHA in it - some instant does contain BHA.

3. Mix the browned beef and potatoes - where it is pretty smooth - there will be some small beef chunks...but try to press the meat to where it is very fine - not big chunks. I use a spatela. Add some of the beef fat as you like.

4. Add some cold water - about 2 tablespoons - mix some more.

5. Grind his kibble in a coffee grinder - very fine - making sure to put the appropriate amount for the weight to be maintained. So for Louis - he gets 1/2 cup of kibble ground up each day in this mix - spread out over 2 meals - so 1/4 cup for right now. And the rest of the kibble in the evening meal.

6. Add to the cooled beef and potatoes.

7. Continue to fold the ground kibble in to the mix...add more cool water as necessary until he get the canned consistency - it will not take much water.

8. I pick up small pieces and hand feed him or drop the food on his plate and he picks it up and eats. He eats about 3/4 of what is made at each meal. Combo of the beef, potatoes and the ground kibble fill him up pretty quick.

Enjoy!

Robert

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Homemade canned

Just an FYI for anyone that comes along, be sure that if you use this that it's less than 20-30% of the dog's total diet.
Anything above that and you can throw off the nutritional balance of the kibble.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Barb E. I left out some important information! I use about 1/4 cup of potatoes cooked - not too thick. I'm not sure what it would be on a dry matter basis, that and the beef....thank you for pointing out the percentages as a gage.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

You could make a wet food for your pup without the use of the potatoes. Ground beef would be easy to eat anyways but you could ground the kibble into a powder, add water and feed it like that.

Here's a recipe that I do for Chance. I use this to feed along with his regular kibble since I do not believe in kibble being complete nor balanced plus it adds variety of taste, texture and nutrition to his diet. Some days I'll feed this alone, some days he'll get half kibble and half mix. If anyone would like to critic this as a complete diet or offer suggestions, that'd be great.

This mix is very wet so it's great for dogs with tooth loss and dogs who need to get more water in their diet.

I cook this in a crockpot on high.

3lb chicken quaters
2lb other meat (beef, venison, turkey, lamb, ect)
4-6 raw eggs without shells
5oz chicken liver
2-3 cups veggies (Depending on their size. I always mix up which veggies I use for every batch I make.)
1 cup plain oatmeal
Add it all to the crockpot, you don't have to cut anything up just throw everything in whole.
Cover the ingredients with water.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours.

Once all the ingredients have cooked I remove the chicken quarters and pull the meat off the bone. (NEVER feed cooked bones! I only use the ones WITH bone because it's the cheapest. If you use meat without bone then you can skip to the next step.)

With the meat off the bone (Or if you didn't use meat with bone and skipped the last step) I then add it back to the mix and put the mix into a blender to be blended into a dog friendly smoothie. I do not waste any of the water used to cook the food, I blend this with all the ingredients.

As I blend it, I'll pour it into containers to be frozen for later use.

I feed this with turkey necks as his RMB along with his supplements which are Springtime Bug Off Garlic, cranberry capsules, vitamin E and fish oil. Supplements are optional but I personally don't feed my dog any less than fish oil and vitamin E even on an all kibble diet. If your dog can't eat bones due to his tooth loss, if you feed this as a complete diet you'll need to add some powdered bonemeal to his diet. If you feed it mixed with his kibble then you shouldn't have to worry as long as it's not a majority of his daily food.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

That was what I tried first, but wet ground kibble wasn't as interesting to Louis. It would be so much easier if it was!

So adding the beef and potatoes worked instantly! I did get some feedback from his nutritionist and a small calcium supplement, based on what he is eating, was recommended to ensure he gets enough calcium in his diet. So for his size, a half cap per day of Caltrate provides the additional calcium for him.

Robert

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page