High value training treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

High value training treats

Hi guys,

What do you guys use for high value training tidbits?

I've been using turkey dogs sliced like pennies at our training classes, and I think Marshall is getting a bit tired of them. I'm looking to mix it up.

We're working hard on competition heeling too, so I really need something high value!

What do you guys use?

Thanks!

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Knighted Member

Re: High value training treats

Obie is a peanut butter fiend. When we are working on heeling, sometimes I dipped my thumb in pb, let him sniff for a sec, and then heel away. Works pretty well and it's easy to reward him - just let him lick my thumb for a few sec after an exercise.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM

I keep an eye on the meat sales area in the store... a roast cooked up and sliced into tiny bits is very exciting for Rune. When I dont have time I have also bought one of those small cooked turkey breasts over by the hams in the meat section. For 4-5 bucks I have many days of higher value training treats without much time invested. For both I make tiny bites and freeze what I dont immediately use in training session sized baggies.

COSTCO type clubs have those big bags of string cheese that I cube into tiny bites... my other dogs find that high value, Rune is less impressed. I also found a great freeze dried salmon dog treat that is a bit stinky (which the dogs like) but small and not messy at all to handle... and makes a good change up when you want something special...Google on Wildside Salmon

everyday training I use the meat rolls from Natural Balance... most of my dogs think that is great.

Lysa

Norse Magic vom Kriegershaus "Rune" (Dec 08)
Kriegershaus Scout vom Haus Rauch (Dec 12)
At the Bridge: Magnus (1998-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

I used to use Hotdogs cooked in the microwave but Denali didn't go crazy over those.
I found some stinky treats called Wellness just for puppies and she loves them. There's about 50, quarter sized pieces in the bag. I cut each of the treats into 6-9 pieces. (Took a while...)
She also loves American cheese, but it melts while i'm outside in 90 degree weather and is too messy for me, so I don't use it often.
Honey ham (Or any type of ham really) from the deli is another that my all my dogs like.

Never used those Natural Balance rolls, I might give them a try too! I've been curious ever since I saw them at Petco.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM

I have used only Natural Balance rolls (lamb and rice) cut up into small chunks for years now and all my dogs go nuts over them. I only use them for training and they have yet to get tired of them.

GSD "Shadow" (Certified SAR)
Coonhound/Lab "Bodasafa" (Certified SAR)
GSD "Rowdy" (In Training SAR)
Chihauhau "Pepper" (BOSS)

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Knighted Member

The two at the top of my list"

Bake chicken breast
Natural Balance rolls
String cheese (Though not on warm/hot days!)

I use other lesser value treats.

You want to identify a couple of treats to use as high value and then mix them up so the dog keeps his interest and doesn't get bored/conditioned to one or the other. Of course with my two, I think anything that can go into their tummies they would consider high value.

Peanut butter is great too, but I keep that for the "pay attention to me and not that other dog running fast crazy around the course and close to you!" work.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

I also use turkey dogs. Dakota started getting tired of them. I tried little chunks of chedder cheese which he loves but man are they messy! Now I cut up a turkey dog and a few little tidbits of cheese and mix them up so he never knows what he will get.

I have found that wherever I go, the stupidest drivers in the world have followed me there!

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I will have to try those Natural Balance rolls.

They're available at Petco or the like?

I also will mix it up...mix a baggie of sliced turkey dogs and string cheese chunks...he likes both but I'm just looking for something new.

Christian

The Brat Pack:

- GSD Marshall (10/2007)
- Adopted Collie/Terrier Jack (8/2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Natural Balance rolls are great. Any place that sells NB food should have them, including Petco. REALLY high value treats I've used for the most distracting environments are meatballs (cooked frozen meatballs are available in bags at Costco & Trader Joes) or peanut butter in a squeeze tube. But usually I use NB rolls, Zuke's Mini Naturals, Yummy Chummies (salmon flavor treats), Solid Gold Jerkey, and Plato treats. Most of them need to be cut up in advance, the Zukes are the only ones that are the right size, but other than the NB roll, they don't need refrigeration.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

I use a "mixed bag" of treats - cut up hotdogs, cut up string cheese, oyster crackers, mini cheddar cheese fish crackers and cherrios. I put them in a baggie, shake them up and the dogs don't know what they are going to get! They LOVE the fish crackers.

How about cat food? It comes in very small pieces, and pretty stinky (IMO).

Mocha's Royal Misha, CGC - June 2005
Chaos vom Haus Wilton, CGC - September 2007

Heidi, GSD - RIP

Natasha, GSD - RIP

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page