Max lifted his leg today! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Max lifted his leg today!

Max, our 10-month old GSD, lifted his leg on our morning walk. It's the first time I've seen this since we adopted him two months ago. He's squatted every time I've seen him urinate. I'm concerned this is the beginning of marking behavior. What do you think? Is there anything I can/should do?

BTW, he was neutered at 8 months and came to us with stitches.

Thanks,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

Re: Max lifted his leg today!

i honestly dont know what to tell u as far as getting him to not mark. i honestly wouldnt do anything about it unless it was on the couch or in the house...then it would be a problem

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Knighted Member

Males just start lifting their leg around 8 months full time. I wouldn't worry about it. My old Saint Bernard wasn't neutered till after a year old, he tried to mark every tree etc. I discouraged it and made him pee on command (full pee) I would only be concerned if Max started marking in the house.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. My intact male lifts his leg and does mark when loose but when he just has to pee he still pees four on the floor.

Initially when he started to lift his leg he did want to pee on every tree and vertical object, but I just treated our walks more like obedience exercises. When I move he needs to stay with me and not pull off towards trees etc. At this point I know he has some favorite spots, so I let him mark 2 or 3 spots and that's about it. My female would mark as well, leg lift and everything. It seems to be kind of a personality thing.

Like everyone else, as long as he isn't dragging me around or marking in the house I don't really care. My male hasn't shown any sign of even thinking about marking in the house. I would assume as long as your potty training foundation is solid you won't ave anything to worry about. It's pretty normal.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. He hasn't marked in the house so far. (knock on wood!) It occurred to me after I my original post that he marked right after barking at a neighbor-dog we saw during our walk. Probably a reaction to that encounter, I hope.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Crowned Member

Kelso is 20 months and about 4 months ago starting lifting his leg only to mark after our female goes to the bathroom-she is spayed (and even then, he only does it every once in awhile). He will also do it on walks every once in awhile. But, in general, he pees with all four legs on the ground and doesnt ever mark in the house. He is not neutered.

doesnt sound like it is really anything to be concerned about

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Master Member

My 12 week old started to lift his leg at 9 weeks old. He does not do it all the time but occ. It sure looks cute when he does it and then sometimes he falls over. He even started to kick up the grass with his back legs. Gotta love those males

Denise

SG Hannalisese vom Dreieck Sch1 KKL1 CD TR2 (HOT)

Malachai vom Geistwasser BH (HOT)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Knighted Member

Lol.. my neutered male started lifting his leg shortly after he was neutered at 6 mths. He "wants" to mark when we go on our walks, but I don't let him...

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page