Just Wondering... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Just Wondering...

Well, my Dad walked Apollo today, and Apollo was good and tired, so I thought this would be opportune timing to socialize him with Zeus. So we did. We let Apollo sniff Zeus, and then they started 'kissing' each other. Is this normal? Also, would it be normal for Apollo to want to try to groom Zeus? He was sniffing Zeus' hind quarters and then trying to groom him as if he were grooming himself. Insight?

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

Re: Just Wondering...

Im not sure what it means but my fiance has two non-gsds and they groom/ lick each other all day long! Ears, back, lips, etc. Sometimes its cute othertimes its like "OK! Enough!"

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Crowned Member

Licking faces is submission so they are both being submissive which is very good. It sounds like they will get along very well if their initial meetings are so calm and loving. As for the grooming, well, some dogs do that to one another. However, if it is going on in the genital/anus areas then I don't encourage it. I would gently redirect that one.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

your dogs are young. what's the problem with them getting together? it sounds like they don't spend much time together. why aren't they together most of the time? when they get together they are probably acting the way young dogs do when they get together.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The only reason they aren't together all of the time is that Apollo is significantly bigger than Zeus is. He also thinks Zeus is the same age as himself and can therefore play with him just as rough as someone his own size. We socialize them a lot every day, they just aren't allowed around each other unattended.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

we have a 1 year old boy (as of 6/4/08) and a 7 yr. old Grey Hound. our Grey Hound (female) was very gentle with our pup. we brought him home at 9 weeks old. our Grey Hound is very,very laid back. i want another dog, a Golden Retreiver but the GF said the next dog is going to be a rescue. we could rescue a Retreiver but i think she means a pound dog, not a pure bred. as far as playing goes our Shep is gentle with smaller dogs. when we go to the dog park he actually plays gentle with all of the dogs. when we get our next dog i'll keep the size in mind when it comes to letting them be together all of the time. so you have 2 Sheps, how cool is that??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page