German Shepherds Forum banner

4 and half months old eating his number 3

694 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mike98 
#1 ·
Why is he doing this how do I get him to stop he was running around a little while ago and ate some and now I'm worried he will get sick any suggestions

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Huh??? Do you mean he is eating his poop?

If so, there are several reasons....

Firstly, good mom dogs clean their pups from the beginning when pups have no control over bodily functions....some moms continue this as long as they are with pups....and pups learn to imitate the behavior....I have seen pups pooping and others waiting to gobble it up in a conga line!!! Yes, we think it is disgusting!!! But pups learn this as part of keeping their nest clean as tiny babies!

Then there are some foods that appear to be so appetitizing from additives that they are as appealing on the way out as on the way in.....with all the press on the DCM from grain free, a good friend whined and moaned and beat me near to death to feed what she felt - after hours of research - to be a low risk food. She is obsessive in her research, and I often - lazily!!! - will rely on her in matters of electronics, etc....so I bought a bag of the food she was using......HUGE MISTAKE - my 4 & 7 year olds turned into greedy poop inhalers! NEVER had done that before....wow! the food - and probably the reingestion - was causing them to produce 3x the amount of poop! I gave away the food, and had to stand guard over them for a time with pooper scooper at the ready!!!!

Yes - some dogs will eat poop and vomit....it won't kill them - it is just disgusting to us....

Best course of action is clean up immediately upon the deposit being dropped!

Good luck

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.