Partially anxious around dogs (6 month old) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By Chuck94!
  • 1 Post By JamesAndFido
  • 1 Post By JamesAndFido

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Partially anxious around dogs (6 month old)

So from the beginning on Gaia was definitely quite submissive and shy around other dogs. We worked through it with puppy class and meeting dogs that I knew were safe for her to be around. She doesn't have a problem with passing another dog as long as we don't pass them going towards one another. When we have to pass someone directly she, but only sometimes, takes a step back and seems anxious. There is no problem at all when she is meeting dogs, she plays well and doesn't bark or growl at any. I am going to go over it with our trainer again but has anyone some advice from their own experience. My approach so far was to just walk past them not acknowledging the other dog and staying calm and confident throughout. It did get better in the way that she recovers very quickly (less than 10 seconds) after we pass the dog and then she just walks next to me like usual.
I am aware that the approach from the front is much less desired then from the side by the dog but obviously it's unavoidable to do so.
We are doing a bunch of confidence building aswell and she doesn't show any anxiety around anything else besides some random fear phases from time to time that are resolved in a minute or two.
Should I maybe just pass them with a little more distance between us and then slowly work on passing other dogs closer?

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like you've got the right idea, using distance and slowly moving closer over time. If your puppy is being reactive toward the other dog you're passing, you're too close.

But life doesn't always go as planned! On occasions where passing a dog that is coming toward you is unavoidable, like you said, staying confident and calm, but continuing forward at a brisk pace seemed to work pretty well for my puppy. Just keep at it, your puppy will calm down over time. Good Luck!
Chuck94! and JamesAndFido like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Master Member

Yup I agree with what Tim said. You need to slowly work up the ladder of approximations getting a little bit closer every time without a reaction. But when passing is inevitable, I did exactly what Tim did.
JamesAndFido likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Honestly having a puppy that's anxious around dogs is the exact opposite to my older dog who I had to work a lot with on overexcitement because he loved everyone too much. It's reassuring to hear that my approach doesn't seem that bad, I'll keep working on it and when something changes or we have a breakthrough I'll be sure to update this thread.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Quote:
“But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” ― Albus Dumbledore
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to update on our progress with this approach:
By now it is almost no problem at all to pass other dogs, it has turned more into curiosity which right now I am fine with. Most of the time after passing a dog she actually looks at me, which I praise a lot of course. Sometimes she does get a little unsure but that usually only when the other dog is fixating and the owner just stops and lets the dog stare at us while we just want to pass, but that is getting better as well. I am really happy with her progress around other dogs so we can go back to focusing on some more exposure now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_20191026_123934.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	527463   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_20191020_114454.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	527465  
tim_s_adams likes this.

Quote:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

Awesome! Glad to hear it's going well!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page