Problems with the new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By Sunflowers
  • 5 Post By David Winners

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Problems with the new puppy

Hi! I'm new here and we have a 9 weeks old puppy. He came to home 1 weeks ago. He is so smart and playful but we have some problems.

First one is our cat. He is 2 years old and much bigger from the puppy. They never interested with each other for first 3 days. The cat were smelling and running. Then the dog started chasing it. The dog were just chasing for a few days but it become dangerous. He catches the cat then bites his neck and pushes him to the ground. That hurts the cat but he don't answer the dog. Sometimes he slaps the dog but so gentle. He is so merciless to me actually. I try to stop the dog but whenever the cat walks he runs for it. We isolated a room with a baby gate. But the dog is so small, sometimes he can pass the gate. The cat doesn't stand in the room anyway. He only use there for hiding because he loves stay with us. But he has no rest in this house anymore. I'm so sorry about that. I don't want the dog hurts him, he is growing so fast. Please help me about that.

The second one is he is afraid of people. 2 exp: Last night he saw my husband in a dark room, my husband about to leave the room, he screamed and run and pissed all the way long. Yesterday I was talking someone at the door, he interested with the dog, the dog scared and had the hiccoughs for mins. Everytime he is excited or scared he is peeing and he has the hiccoughs. I know he is such a puppy now but I'm afraid of the future. I don't want he grows up with this fear. How can I help him?

Here are a few pictures of them. Thank you for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_142050.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	525461   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190916_092613.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	525463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_142507.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	525465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

The puppy has zero business being loose in your house to chase and attack the cat.
Leash, tether him to you, pen, or crate him. Zero contact with the cat from now on. If on the leash and he tries to go for the cat, say NO and do not allow him to even look.
As for the fear, have your husband feed the puppy. A lot of fear issues are genetic. Take him out and expose him to people and places from a distance where he is comfortable. No dog parks.
Jax08, GSDchoice and CometDog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 PM

It is your job to teach the puppy what he is and isn't allowed to do. It is also your job to keep the cat safe. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you get involved with a trainer to guide you through your training of the puppy. Puppies go through fear periods, which this may be, but submissive urinating is a sign of poor nerves. This pup needs structured socialization and training daily to help shape his behaviors and reactions to things.

There is an entire library of books written about raising puppies. I suggest you do some reading and get a trainer that can help you get started on the right foot.

I like Patricia McConnell myself, but there are a lot of good authors to choose from.

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/st...raining-books/

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page