Is my puppy challenging me or? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
wolfmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Is my puppy challenging me or?

So my puppy of 14 weeks is mostly calm but sometimes, out of nowhere, he likes to run away from me while his lifts his butt and wags his tale. I know puppies like to play tag but fur on his back also raises which is usually out of fear.

So is he just challenging me to catch him or he gets fearful?

He gets fearful of random things like one of his toys or piece of paper..
wolfmonte is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 07:59 AM
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,924
Some dogs scruff when they are excited. He might just be trying to get you to play.

But I have had an experience where I was trying to "walk down" a pup who didn't want to be caught and he put his scruff up and I could see he was legit freaked out. So I sat down and invited him to come to me which calmed the whole situation. But his other body cues were clearly uncomfortable.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 08:08 AM
Master Member
 
Chuck94!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Manhattan, KS & Overland Park, KS
Posts: 801
He might just be trying to play with you as Thecowboysgirl said, but this is the period where absolutely everything is new to a puppy in the world and why it is so important to socialize them!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Chuck94! is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 30,022
A dog can hackle for many reasons. Fear, excitement, aggression. Your puppy is just being a puppy. You need to train him and teach him a recall. Teach him there is value to coming back to you.

As far as being fearful - that's your job to show him the world.
Socializing Your Puppy: how it should look | Naughty Dogge - Monique Anstee

If he's fearful of something then YOU need to go forward and touch it. Talk to him in a happy, excited, voice to encourage him to come forward. Don't force him. Just let him come and praise and reward him when he does.




Jax08 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member
 
LuvShepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,369
Mine hackle when they are excited. My younger one learned it from the older, but doesn’t do it anymore. They seem to have some control over it.
IllinoisNative likes this.
LuvShepherds is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
wolfmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
A dog can hackle for many reasons. Fear, excitement, aggression. Your puppy is just being a puppy. You need to train him and teach him a recall. Teach him there is value to coming back to you.

As far as being fearful - that's your job to show him the world.
Socializing Your Puppy: how it should look | Naughty Dogge - Monique Anstee

If he's fearful of something then YOU need to go forward and touch it. Talk to him in a happy, excited, voice to encourage him to come forward. Don't force him. Just let him come and praise and reward him when he does.
He has different kinda fearfulness. Like he'd be playing with one toy then he would play with another then turn back and act as though he has never seen that thing before. I call him and feed him with that object to associate something good with it. I mentioned it because he sometimes forgets the stuff he has already seen or was playing with, so maybe he forgets me and starts running?
wolfmonte is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 01:31 PM
Master Member
 
Chuck94!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Manhattan, KS & Overland Park, KS
Posts: 801
He's still super young and pups need multiple instances of (positive) exposure before they learn to not associate certain things with fear. As for running away from you, it's hard to tell

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Chuck94! is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 01:32 PM
Master Member
 
Chuck94!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Manhattan, KS & Overland Park, KS
Posts: 801
But I really like what @Jax08 said, you're puppy needs to WANT to come to you. Work with him in a way that it benefits him(the puppy) to come to you!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Chuck94! is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 30,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmonte View Post
He has different kinda fearfulness. Like he'd be playing with one toy then he would play with another then turn back and act as though he has never seen that thing before. I call him and feed him with that object to associate something good with it. I mentioned it because he sometimes forgets the stuff he has already seen or was playing with, so maybe he forgets me and starts running?
Why don't you take a video of that and post it?




Jax08 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:08 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Why don't you take a video of that and post it?
your puppy needs to WANT to come to you
CarlMax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome