Land shark will not learn - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Land shark will not learn

So Suki is now almost 5 months old but her habit of attacking me has still not gone away. She doesn't but hard anymore and mostly just playfully nibbles but if I tell her play time is over or I'm doing something else she'll lunge at me. Tonight was the worst, she got me in the face and I'm terrified she'll do it to someone who will report it and she'll be put down. I don't think shes a dangerous dog but she hasn't listened to any of the teaching tricks people have recommended. I've tried yelping, turning my back, a stern no, and shutting her out. We even tried noise aversion but she just gets angry and attacks more. Its only aimed at me for now but I worry if she came across a child or someone else whilst out. Usually shes the softest dog ever but occasionally she'll become obsessed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Time for her to live on a tether. That way you can give a quick correction and then move on. Remember after a correction, it is good to follow up with something allowed. Yelping and turning away can become a game to the pup. A stern NO doesn't mean anything by itself. That is why you need a quick correction like a collar jerk (not a huge yank. Just enough to make her stop what she is doing) and then redirection, like a down while you get out a toy to play with her. Since she is showing you that she loves bitey games, use that to your advantage. Use games of tug as a reward for good behavior! She needs an outlet for this natural desire that German Shepherds have. This is a good thing, use it.
tc68, crittersitter, Aly and 1 others like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Knighted Member

Agree with Car2ner - this dog needs to learn there are consequences for this behaviour.

And yes, yelping is counter-productive. Why do you think they make dog toys that squeak? Because it encourages the dog to keep biting them! It' part of prey drive - the prey squeaks when bitten.
tc68, Aly, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Crowned Member

Yup. I would correct that. I'm all for trading but there comes a time where a solid No with a correction has a place.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reassurance. I've been trying today to redirect her with a tug toy and she seemed to really enjoy playing with it. She doesn't tend to wag her tail so I'm wondering if she knows its playing or not. She also did a jump attack after I brought her home from a quick walk, any advice on how to stop them? She literally jumps up at my arm and snaps her teeth together.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

What do you do with her for exercise other than walks? Puppies need to run and play to burn off some of their youthful exuberance! Teach her to fetch, teach her an acceptable game that involves running and biting! Get a flirt pole, and/or chase her around, most puppies love that. A tired puppy is a good puppy!

If she's not getting adequate exercise, teaching her to stop jumping and biting you will be much harder, whatever method you chose...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Agree with Car2ner - this dog needs to learn there are consequences for this behaviour.

And yes, yelping is counter-productive. Why do you think they make dog toys that squeak? Because it encourages the dog to keep biting them! It' part of prey drive - the prey squeaks when bitten.

Then how does my ten pound mutt communicate to the 100+ pound GSDs that they have gone too far in their play? Write them a note?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGSD View Post
So Suki is now almost 5 months old but her habit of attacking me has still not gone away. She doesn't but hard anymore and mostly just playfully nibbles but if I tell her play time is over or I'm doing something else she'll lunge at me. Tonight was the worst, she got me in the face and I'm terrified she'll do it to someone who will report it and she'll be put down. I don't think shes a dangerous dog but she hasn't listened to any of the teaching tricks people have recommended. I've tried yelping, turning my back, a stern no, and shutting her out. We even tried noise aversion but she just gets angry and attacks more. Its only aimed at me for now but I worry if she came across a child or someone else whilst out. Usually shes the softest dog ever but occasionally she'll become obsessed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What would you do if a human tried to bite your face? Would you walk away, turn your back, give a stern NO, shut them out?

I would not tolerate any dog biting at or near my face. If they did, I would express immediate clear anger in terms the dog can understand -- loud angry voice and immediate full physical restraint on the dog so they can't continue and I have their full, undivided attention. Don't give them pain, but make it a very unpleasant and angry in-your-face experience -- IMMEDIATELY! Dogs generally want to please you and, if you communicate that you are not pleased, they will stop almost any behavior. The problem is usually the communication. If the dog says to itself "Holy S**t! I don't want to do that again!" you are probably done.

While others have scoffed at this approach, I have never had to use it more than twice on any dog. It's the same approach that taught my friend's dog not to chew on electrical cords. He got one live one, and that was it. Never again. Again, no need to hurt the dog, just communicate the same way you would to a human being who did it -- and that would be clear, immediate, unmistakable anger.

And, you are right. If she does bite someone else in the face, count on her being put down. So don't make any apologies for any technique that winds up saving her life.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiGSD View Post
Puppies need firm, fair and consistent. So as Tim mentioned, adequate exercise with short obedience sessions, lots of appropriate play and rules. She is only 5 months old which means you have had her for 3 months? Stop jumping from method to method. Redirect to something appropriate and if she gets really worked up pop her in her crate for a few.
Puppies don't come pre programmed and there is no instant method. Unlike TV we can't train a dog in 30 minutes.
My suspicion is she is over tired and/or frustrated when she does this, so putting her in her crate with a kong will likely induce a nap.
car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:40 PM

I think Jupiter was still pretty nippy at five months, although he was coming out of it. He still mouths us sometimes, not always softly, when he gets riled up.

Yelping only got Jupiter excited. When he nipped us, I ended up using three techniques: 1) push arm deeper in mouth when he had a hold of me, 2) depressed tongue with thumb when he had my hand, 3) moved his lip so then he bit himself. Sounds mean, but he definitely felt it and adjusted. One way he adjusted is he learned to pinch with the very front teeth, the naughty boy. But I also think it served as a correction and he learned. But then, maybe he just grew out of it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page