Cant stop puppy from eating frogs!! Please help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Cant stop puppy from eating frogs!! Please help!!

Title says it all... Yes my puppy seems to find frogs a great desert after or before a meal 🤮
And yes he is left outside all the time and there's nothing I can do about it... We have a big garden and our previous GSD lived her life there she was only allowed inside the kitchen n pantry at night and so is Kaiser now... We try our best to prevent him being naughty but we can't keep watch over him 24/7.. 😫
There areee small animals in the garden (part of the reason we wanted a guard dog but doesn't seem likely now tho lol) n he just chases them most of the time but with froggies he go after them n even eat sometimes which is so gross n ewww 😫
Is this even slightly normal??! My previous GSD simply patted the frogs with her paw n left them alone but him... Plz advice me sm1 😢
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_164406_1563719139588.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	523563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_164501_1563719221458.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	523565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_165237_1563719306800.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	523567  
Benjaminb, Mei, bnormal and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Mei
Master Member

Great lookin doggo! He looks happy! Probably just ate a frog LOL. Sounds like a great snack to me! But the frogs may help with the bugs in your garden so I understand the concern. I wouldn't be worried if mine ate frogs unless it's one of those little bright yellow ones! I swear mine is going to eat the neighbor's cat once she gets a hold of it!
Sabis mom, Benjaminb and cvamoca like this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Supervise. Puppies do what they do and if your pup has now developed a taste for frogs then so be it. Pups require supervision to help them learn what behaviors are undesirable and more importantly desirable. Frogs, rocks, garbage? It all sounds like fun to a pup. If the frogs are toxic then you need to stop the behavior. If they are not then you have two choices, teach or ignore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Great lookin doggo! He looks happy! Probably just ate a frog LOL. Sounds like a great snack to me! But the frogs may help with the bugs in your garden so I understand the concern. I wouldn't be worried if mine ate frogs unless it's one of those little bright yellow ones! I swear mine is going to eat the neighbor's cat once she gets a hold of it!
Thx! He's a naughty lil guy lol xD Gosh am relieved I honestly thought this was super weird and concerning Am pretty sure the frogs aren't poisonous at all the poor lil things just pop up randomly and my pup goes crazy! And i totally agree one of these days am gonna have to go apologise to the neighbours about their unfortunate cat... 😢
Mei likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Supervise. Puppies do what they do and if your pup has now developed a taste for frogs then so be it. Pups require supervision to help them learn what behaviors are undesirable and more importantly desirable. Frogs, rocks, garbage? It all sounds like fun to a pup. If the frogs are toxic then you need to stop the behavior. If they are not then you have two choices, teach or ignore.
Thx 🙂 Nope the frogs aren't poisonous tho occasionally his stomach goes a lil haywire (loose stools) - probably due to the emmence junk he eats but he eats really well n is healthy n active so I'll jzt ignore it or attempt to rescue the poor froggy whn possible lol
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

As long as no frog in your yard is poisonous I guess it would be OK. Eventually he probably will decimate the local population which resolves the issue.
Just a word of caution: since you live among other homes, some people use mouse poison. It doesn't instantly kill the mice but they become sluggish and are still able to move around, which makes it easy for your pup to catch and eat them. Then he will ingest that same poison and it can ill your dog. This goes for all urban dogs in back yards.
kr16, Sabis mom, Benjaminb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 07-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
As long as no frog in your yard is poisonous I guess it would be OK. Eventually he probably will decimate the local population which resolves the issue.
Just a word of caution: since you live among other homes, some people use mouse poison. It doesn't instantly kill the mice but they become sluggish and are still able to move around, which makes it easy for your pup to catch and eat them. Then he will ingest that same poison and it can ill your dog. This goes for all urban dogs in back yards.
Thx for the advice 🙂 I actually didn't think of mice before but now that u mention it its very possible that can happen.. My previous GSD did kill a good no. of mice during her lifetime but she never ate them Sometimes she would be a bit off for a couple days ish but the Vet gav us a tablet for stomachaches n it was nothing major so hopefully the new pup will be fine too 😅
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Knighted Member

Frogs are okay, but toads are poisonous. Cane toads can kill a dog, and even the small common toads can make them quite sick!

Just a heads up: if you've got frogs, you likely have toads as well!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Master Member

Sorry, I couldn't stop laughing. This was a good one. I have to agree with others...puppies need to be supervised. They can get into all sorts of trouble. Trust me, I know. I've been to the emergency room with mine a total of 3 times in his short 18 months. Anyway, good luck...and btw, he's gorgeous.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

NO FROG EATING! (And no snail eating either!) People who think it's okay will change their minds once rat lungworms spread to their region. It's a very nasty, life-threatening parasite that's on the move in the U.S., Asia, and Europe.

Frogs (and snails) are an intermediate host of rat lungworm -- and the worms spread to mammals (e.g., humans or dogs) that eat the frogs. This parasite can move into the spinal cord and brain and cause paralysis and symptoms that mimic meningitis, and few vets in the United States know to look for it. It's not "supposed" to be a problem in most of the U.S., but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's here because our rescue had a dog infected with it (confirmed by lab testing) -- the first known canine case in the state. My vet has since seen several more cases, and used what she learned from our rescue's case to save quite a few dogs. Her theory is that it's been here for a while but was misdiagnosed as meningitis -- she just happened to have a classmate/friend from vet school in Europe who suggested that she look for it when she had this dog paralyzed and not responding to any treatment.

You need to do some research to see if there's any literature regarding rat lungworm cases in any species in your area -- Angiostrongylus cantonensis. It's widespread in Asia and even Europe. In the U.S., it's common it Hawaii, but has been found in the mainland too -- I know of cases recently in Florida and Louisiana. You may even want to run the pup through with a full week of Panacur to be safe -- or put it on Advantage Multi (= Advocate, from Bayer in Europe/Asia), which is effective against this parasite (along with heartworms), as well as fleas, when applied monthly. That monthly prevention might be your best option if there's no realistic way to stop the pup from getting the frogs.

More reading:
Disease Outbreak Control Division | Angiostrongyliasis (Rat Lungworm)
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-22-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page