4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By Saco
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Puppy trying to be Alpha

15 week old puppy attempting to hump almost 15 year old GSD. Of course when she does ugly face and barks at him he cries. Its pretty funny but I don't want this to escalate. I don't think Sasha would hurt him (I do not leave them unattended at all) but I don't want him to hurt her when he's bigger. She pushing 15 so a little weak in the back end.

I'm thinking spray bottle?

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Master Member

Your puppy is not trying to "be Alpha". Humping in this context is a sign of arousal. He is excited and does not know how engage appropriately with your other dog so he humps her, and is allowed to get away with it. Do not allow him to engage in the activity, redirect and him a more appropriate outlet for his energy. it is not fair to your other dog to allow him to harass her, especially since she is a senior.

Personally not a fan of spray bottles. It often ends up only working when you have or reach for the spray bottle and the dog will still engage in the unwanted activity up to that point. You would do better with a well timed correction at the appropriate level.
Jax08 and Sunsilver like this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 PM

I agree with Bramble- and I would be really clear on this and make sure that correction counts. Poor old girl at 15 should not have to deal with humping. It's not about alpha, it is just rude and inappropriate and he needs to learn that.
Clare likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Totally agree. And he is responding to verbal leave its so we just need to keep that up. He’s really a little ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

When dogs hump it can be for different reasons, excitement, anxiousness, dominance or sexual. When puppies hump it’s not a dominate thing but often out of excitement. Your pup though is 5 months old and most likely listening to his natural instincts beginning to wake up. I would not give a correction just redirect with a toy you would do when puppies teeth. If leave it works that’s great use that.
Clare likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-25-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

He's actually 3 1/2 months old - and I can see excitement, dominance and sexual lol. He's a HANDFUL! The verbal is working right now (Sasha verbalizes too - he cries if she gives a very stern correction). I pretty much don't go anywhere in the house without a toy or a treat on me to redirect.

The reason I assumed alpha right away is that Sasha used to do this as a pup (maybe more around 6 months)... But so far today, he's listening to me - and to her too.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

Oops my mistake I think I was thinking of Max he was 5 months as a pup when he discovering his natural self and used his dog bed in different ways. My son named the bed for Max lol! It was a brief time of redirection and no humping issues thereafter. The chihuahua as a pup different more of a challenge he needed correction .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page