New puppy attacking resident dog! Please help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

New puppy attacking resident dog! Please help!

Hello everyone,

I have a 9 week old GS puppy who I got a week ago, I introduced him to the three year old resident dog which is a shi tzu, first day was fine but on the second day the German Shepherd started chasing the shi tzu and got a hold of him and but him on his back, resident dog helped but no skin was punctured.

I’ve kept the dogs separated and they only meet while on leash, at times the German Shepherd won’t care for the other dog and will let him come near while at other times he will get close to the other dog and immediately lunge for his neck, mouth wide open.

This is extremely frustrating and I would be devastated if anything happens to my other dog. I trust the breeder I got the gsd from and met the parents, both of which were very calm and had good temperament.

What should I do at this point? Am I over reacting and he will grow out of this phase and learn to live with the other dog? When he’s not trying to rip my other dogs throat out he’s a very calm and sweet dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:58 AM
LRP

Sounds to me like the GSD puppy is just trying to play, he is to young to be trying anything else. GSD are very mouthy, my 2 puppies constantly chase and bite at each other, grabbing each other necks, tails ect… you would think they were in full attack mode hearing them but they are truthfully just playing which you can tell by there body language and reactions to each other.

You may have to keep them separated until you can properly train your puppy. Some GSDs never are ok with other dogs, there is no guarantee.
Focus on training right now, keep them separated until you can trust your smaller dog will be ok.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:43 PM

GSDs play rough and puppies might not know their own strength. You are going to have to keep them separated and teach the pup limits. Show it what is OK to do and reward it. When things go out of bounds, some time out is called for. I wouldn't use physical punishment for over the top playing since it may confuse the pup. It might think you want to play rough, or are playing too rough yourself, or just be confused because it was trying to play and have fun.

When you watch two GSDs play they take turns mouthing each other, nipping, body slamming and taking turns winning and loosing. My big boy would loose on purpose to my gal dog when she was smaller, so that she would keep on playing. She would jump on his neck and he expected it. Then after a bit, he got up and chased her.
LRP likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page