Why does our puppy splash away all it's drinking water? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Why does our puppy splash away all it's drinking water?

Our puppy is 5 1/2months old now. We got her at 9 weeks old. She spends her time mostly outdoors in a fenced yard except at night when we bring her in to sleep in her crate. We try to keep her water bowls outside filled up, but she seems to empty them as fast as we can fill them, not by drinking, but by splashing the water out of the bowl with her feet, or knocking the bowl about with her paws, slopping the water onto the ground.

Has anyone experienced this with their puppy? Really I am re-evaluating the intelligence of this dog--it is getting hot outdoors and she needs lots of water, but she doesn't seem to "get" that she is emptying her drinking water with her play.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:04 PM
LRP

This is 100% normal. My female lives in her kiddie pool likes it a day spa. Both our male and female enjoy splashing in anything filled with water. We have 2 large water jugs filled up, a 30 gallon Rubbermaid pail and the kiddie pool filled full time during the hot days to keep up with both playtime and drinking. If its hot, they need water to play in as well. We also run the sprinklers for them in the back during the hottest days so they have cool water and some action. I highly recommend getting 1 of those cheap hard plastic kiddie pools to allow her to sit in during the day. At night we empty it all so she is dry and can come inside with us.

Below is the most recent water/mud play day with both dogs.... you can see all the water jugs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_190616.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	522489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_190603.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	522491   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_190637.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	522493  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:09 PM
LRP

Also - I get you were probably looking for help to stop this but honestly its a natural thing for them. I am sure someone has tips to slow her down but I wouldn't want to stop her from doing what she enjoys. Invest in a good waterer, something that will hold a lot of water and has a smaller drinking section so she cant stick her paws in and get the water out as easy. Also a large Rubbermaid container or pail helps to hold a lot of water at once. I have just gotten into the routine every morning of grabbing the hose and filling everything up for them because I want to keep her happy when its hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Our puppy is 5 1/2months old now. We got her at 9 weeks old. She spends her time mostly outdoors in a fenced yard except at night when we bring her in to sleep in her crate. We try to keep her water bowls outside filled up, but she seems to empty them as fast as we can fill them, not by drinking, but by splashing the water out of the bowl with her feet, or knocking the bowl about with her paws, slopping the water onto the ground.

Has anyone experienced this with their puppy? Really I am re-evaluating the intelligence of this dog--it is getting hot outdoors and she needs lots of water, but she doesn't seem to "get" that she is emptying her drinking water with her play.

Any thoughts?
I banned water bowls indoors for a long time. Totally normal and she may or may not grow out of it. I had one that liked to bury his whole head in his bucket and another that carried the dish around splashing water everywhere! I had one that would tip over the bucket and lay in the resulting puddle. I put a kiddie pool in the yard and let them splash there instead. I got one with little critters printed on the bottom and my current dummy spent all day trying to dig them out or catch them or whatever she was doing. Pretty solid entertainment.
LRP likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM

I don't think dogs in general can surmise they need to save/ration drinking water vs. knocking it over.

I had a similar issue...water bowls are just too much fun to play in/with. We now use larger water buckets which cannot be tipped over.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Of course. She's a puppy! They all do it :-) Best thing we ever got for outdoors are flat sided stainless steel buckets that you can hang from a clip. At least it can't be knocked over.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Because itís so much fun!
Custom Billet likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Because itís so much fun!
Pretty much it! It's fun!

Did she see you fill the bowl? If so, she knows you will fill it right back up! She is actually MUCH smarter than you think. She got you to fill her bowl so she can splash in it, cool off and have a good time!
LRP likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post

Any thoughts?
Two reasons:

1. It's fun. She's a puppy and splashing water is fun!

2. Dogs often cool their feet and undercarriage off when they're hot over drinking water. Heat escapes faster through their paw pads and inner legs vs drinking.

Solution: Get a kiddie pool! Or a spill-proof bowl.
LRP likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:57 PM

Our nearly 4 months old GSD does the same thing. And like you we are worried he is not getting enough water. We do keep water indoors as well, he really doesn’t care for the heat. He spills the water outside and lays in it, cooling down I suppose, drinking water in the house is a whole ne adventure it seems he forgets to close his mouth after drinking. Just funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page