New puppy seems lethargic - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

New puppy seems lethargic

We just brought home our new puppy, Sarge, this past week. He’s a 13 week old GSD and is precious. At the breeder, he played with his brothers, sisters and mom, but wasn’t overly energetic. At home, he is quite lethargic. He seems unmotivated and hardly has any energy. He sleeps a lot, which I know puppies do! When not sleeping he lays down and does not get up for much. He plays with a toy sometimes and has already begun fetching but this is few and far between. He mostly lies down and refuses to move. He has already potty trained in these few days, so we know he’s very intelligent. However, we’re finding it very hard to motivate him to move around and play. He went to the vet and tested negative for worms, and she said his hips looked great and his heart sounded fine. Should we just chalk this up to new environment and people? I know his little self is overwhelmed with a new home, but I’m wondering if this is extreme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Master Member

I was going to say...probably new environment and people. But I was also thinking maybe the food? Or, do you make it exciting and fun for him to follow you around?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

If he's eating, drinking, and pooping/peeing fine, I wouldn't worry. He'll settle in with you and perk up. If he's not doing any of those things normally, I'd have a more thorough exam. Maybe a different vet. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a vet that would comment like that on a 13 week old's hips.
CometDog likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM
Elite Member

Is he eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normally and frequently? How is his appetite? There are things besides worms to check for in a stool sample. In the name of being thorough ask your vet if they ran a protozoa test too- for things like giardia and coccidia (I never spell those right) What is he eating? How is his appetite?

It could be anything from not feeling great due to an underlying (and usually treatable) reason, to missing his littermates if he was still with them, to new environment, or it could just be a very laid back dog. That would be my last suspicion since most pups of any breed are a handful rather than an angel. Including those details above would help us brainstorm with you.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page