Puppy fear 😞 - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:24 PM
Elite Member

Someone said you went to an IPO club? Do you plan to continue there? That would be your best bet to surround yourself with people who can guide you on making him the best he can be.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 AM
Knighted Member

No disrespect intended, but IPO trainers typically have very very limited experience with timid dogs. So that would not be a first choice if it were my dog or puppy. I'd find someone with experience specific to the issue you're facing ...again, if it were me...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Someone said you went to an IPO club? Do you plan to continue there? That would be your best bet to surround yourself with people who can guide you on making him the best he can be.
I dont go to any club in fact am not even aware of the existence of any training clubs in my country but there are personal trainers... They are quite pricy but I'll try to get a hold of one sometime soon 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Master Member

If it were me....I'd try a little "desensitization"?
Like, I see my neighbor in the street. I stop and say Hello and chat with him.
I totally ignore my dog and whatever he is doing, just keep him beside me. If he wants to stand between my legs, fine.

Next day...
say Hi to some other person going by.

Next day...
say Hi to a couple people, etc.

But I wouldn't let them touch my dog or pet my dog... I would just chat with the person and let my dog do whatever it is, that he is doing.
Over time, the tension he has around strangers should go away?

I have seen my dog "unwind" around strangers after I began to fend off petting/touching. Now people walk by with their legs inches from his nose (in fact, a lady coming out of the grocery bumped into him with her bag yesterday) and he just stands there calmly. He also got over his odd phobia of storm drains this way.
The repeated exposures where nothing happens, seems to teach them that these situations are nothing to worry about.
Kyrielle likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithumya17 View Post
Sorry for the long post 😅
And that was not a long post! You should see some of the posts that people write

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
If it were me....I'd try a little "desensitization"?
Like, I see my neighbor in the street. I stop and say Hello and chat with him.
I totally ignore my dog and whatever he is doing, just keep him beside me. If he wants to stand between my legs, fine.

Next day...
say Hi to some other person going by.

Next day...
say Hi to a couple people, etc.

But I wouldn't let them touch my dog or pet my dog... I would just chat with the person and let my dog do whatever it is, that he is doing.
Over time, the tension he has around strangers should go away?

I have seen my dog "unwind" around strangers after I began to fend off petting/touching. Now people walk by with their legs inches from his nose (in fact, a lady coming out of the grocery bumped into him with her bag yesterday) and he just stands there calmly. He also got over his odd phobia of storm drains this way.
The repeated exposures where nothing happens, seems to teach them that these situations are nothing to worry about.
Thanku! I do think that would work actually when he's acting fearful of something... When i take him out and ppl are there he'll actually try to approach them he's kinda too trusty lol But yesterday when a vehicle came n the folks made a lot of noise with their gate and stuff my pup got scared but after a lil while he approached the gate so i rewarded him for that... Also now he's approaching the front and sometimes barks at sounds... Am positive he'll turn out fine with time 😄
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
No disrespect intended, but IPO trainers typically have very very limited experience with timid dogs. So that would not be a first choice if it were my dog or puppy. I'd find someone with experience specific to the issue you're facing ...again, if it were me...
I'd respectfully disagree. Dealing with less than stellar nerves is something better handlers can do. You hear all the time that a skilled handler can "hide" nerves. There was a thread about an IPO champion (I wont get into names because it's not the point) who was super skittish off the field, spooking on stop signs to the point he dislocated his handler's shoulder.

Not that OP's goal is to "hide" nerves..or maybe it is if OP wants a dog that will ward off intruders. In any event the best place to find at the very least an honest skilled assessment of what you have on your hands would be Protection Sport people. Whereas pet oriented modern trainers may have you recruiting people to walk up and pop treats in your dogs mouth to desensitize them and whereas that may work from some dogs, the likelihood of it working for an apprehensive protection breed is pretty low on the scale there.
WIBackpacker and GypsyGhost like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Crowned Member

First, as your dog gets older you will see this decrease. Much as you see some children that are clingy to parents or immediate family when young but as they mature they come out of this phase. Now, I would guess that you have a black and red/tan dog, and there are various degrees of genetic/temperament strength in different dogs....so it’s obvious your dog isn’t the Social butterfly, and probably isn’t a candidate for seeing eye dog or police dog....but he/she can grow into a fine family dog. I would take the pup out often for walks on loose leash so the dog can explore smells, sounds, and sights. Do NOT walk puppy on tight leash when approaching new people....just lengthen your distance from the people so the pup can stay on a loose leash.
Also, when on walks and the dog shows fear or insecurities, keep walking and don’t try to talk the dog out of its behavior...instead keep walking and let the pup figure out different aspects of new things/people.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Last edited by cliffson1; 06-03-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
On this, I strongly disagree.

Unless he/she is very novice or quite poor, in which case s/he shouldn't be advising anyone else on the training of their dog anyway.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys I just wanted to update on my pup's progress and gosh am I relieved! He turned 15 weeks tdy and I believe he has mostly gotten out of his 'jumpy' behaviour lol He approaches our gate barking now without hesitation Is not jumpy around known people anymore and generally very solid He's a total bully too when it comes to small animals including cats..🤔 He's sensitive to sounds he's pretty vocal too xD... We haven't encountered strangers yet but am quite positive he'll turn out fine with time (maybe not as great as my previous baby Shab but still am happy) ...
car2ner and Kyrielle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page