Puppy from a farm? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Puppy from a farm?

Lol weird topic title i know... so there is a family about 2 1/2 hours north of here that let us adopt one of their older puppy shepherds that was 17 weeks old for 250 no papers included... but she had gas all the way home really narly... and when she had her first poop it was green! GREEN! I SAY! lol i have two sheps already but them i both got when they were 8wks... so i found it very weird her poop was green looked like grass poop lol now i did adopt her from people who raise pups on a farm.. and they have 27 puppies currently and 8 shepherds plus all the farm animals.. i have to wonder if the pup was eating slop or something... i just got the pup home yesterday and bought our normal food but in the puppy version (victor active puppy) I have to wonder tho what she was eating to make her poop green, if i should even bother asking the people i got her from.. as they said they were too busy with the 27 pups and helping their sick grams move to get her shots.. i scheduled the appointment for friday afternoon to have her checked out and shots done (soonest they could get me in) i dont know if anyone else here maybe has fed food to make poop green or not... she has a few hot spots around her eyes (2) nothing major just noticable.. possibly a allergic reaction to whatever she was eating or the environment she was in.. i did wash her in a anti fungal shampoo hoping it helps clear up her skin and today its already looking better (starting to show signs of healing already) ... i know i keep going on and on... lol point of the post... just want to know about the poop.. its bugging me why the poop was green? anyone seen this before maybe in food or maybe pig slop (my guess)
Attached Images

Last edited by rockmissjess; 05-13-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

You took a real chance adopting that pup! With no vaccinations and no health checks or worming you could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills! Also with that many dogs running around the place, it's possible the pups could be from a mating between close relatives (brother/sister, or even father mating with its own pup) which could lead to genetic issues.

That being said, from the photo she looks to be in fairly good health. It's not uncommon for farm dogs to eat manure or food being fed to the animals, and get their digestion upset as a result. When I worked at a riding stable, one of the dogs loved to eat the horses's sweet feed (grain with molasses) and all the dogs loved to eat the poop from the calves that were being milk fed by their mothers. Yeah, gross but totally normal, as the mother dog cleans up after her pups as long as they are drinking her milk...

I hope the digestive problems clear up quickly. Was the poop normal, or was it diarrhea? Did the vet ask for a stool sample? You really need to get the pup tested for worms, as I am sure the breeders didn't do that, either!

According to what I found when I googled, green poop usually means excessive grass consumption, or problems with the gall bladder. Given it's spring, and the grass is growing young, tender blades my money would be on the first one! So, nothing to worry about unless she continues to have green poops, or is having diarrhea.
rockmissjess and dogma13 like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 05-14-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

Well, you just bought from a puppy mill or puppy farm. I sincerely hope your luck holds but that was a mistake and I hope you learn from it. No one should be supporting these things.

Green poop- many livestock feeds are alfalfa based and that will turn poop green. I suspect if you had looked at any of the manure it was a similar color.
Your pup needs to be dewormed and should be tested for other nasty parasites. The dull tone of her coat tells me she likely has worms.
When I got Shadow she had a bacterial skin infection that required prescription shampoo to clear up.
You will also want her heart and lungs listened to, it is not uncommon for dogs to pick up respiratory illnesses when living in proximity to livestock in less then good conditions.
Time will tell if other issues are present, no point looking now but be very clear with your vet that this pup was living in less then ideal conditions and be sure to ask for fecal tests and skin scrapings.
Monitor her weight and body condition and handle diet changes slowly. Prolonged exposure to poor feed can create all kinds of digestive issues and although the impulse is to get good food into them rapid changes can create other problems.
Good luck. She's cute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

In addition to the shots, have the vet run a fecal test. It's very likely she will need another round of deworming.

If the poop doesn't improve after that, then I'd ask the vet to run an IDEXX Diarrhea PCR panel (it costs over $100 but tests for nearly everything -- including many things common in farm animals that can infect dogs). The last farm pups we rescued that had chronic diarrhea had to have this panel run -- they had corona virus, giardia, clostridium perfringens and something else I'm forgetting -- it was a nasty cocktail of infection that took weeks to fix, and the vet said this kind of mess is related to them being around farm animals.
Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 05-14-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Giardia and Coccidia?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Chlorophyll (plant material) can turn poop green.

It could be the relatively harmless result of the puppy eating a lot of manure - cow, horse, chicken, pig, you name it.

Agree, you should take a fecal sample to your vet for a float/direct smear as soon as you have time. Most of the time, the parasites dogs pick up from healthy farm animals aren't a big deal, and can be dealt with easily enough.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
You took a real chance adopting that pup! With no vaccinations and no health checks or worming you could be looking at thousands of dollars in vet bills! Also with that many dogs running around the place, it's possible the pups could be from a mating between close relatives (brother/sister, or even father mating with its own pup) which could lead to genetic issues.

That being said, from the photo she looks to be in fairly good health. It's not uncommon for farm dogs to eat manure or food being fed to the animals, and get their digestion upset as a result. When I worked at a riding stable, one of the dogs loved to eat the horses's sweet feed (grain with molasses) and all the dogs loved to eat the poop from the calves that were being milk fed by their mothers. Yeah, gross but totally normal, as the mother dog cleans up after her pups as long as they are drinking her milk...

I hope the digestive problems clear up quickly. Was the poop normal, or was it diarrhea? Did the vet ask for a stool sample? You really need to get the pup tested for worms, as I am sure the breeders didn't do that, either!

According to what I found when I googled, green poop usually means excessive grass consumption, or problems with the gall bladder. Given it's spring, and the grass is growing young, tender blades my money would be on the first one! So, nothing to worry about unless she continues to have green poops, or is having diarrhea.

Poop was normal just grass looking... already her poop is brown no worms in it.. i did check that... ive gotten a shep from this lady before (but before they had shots) she just said they have been super busy and havent had a chance to get around to it... still seems sketchy to me.. but whatever.. (they do live out in the country at least 2 hours from a vet) again taking her to our vet friday as thats the soonest they could get me in.. i can bring in a stool sample when i go. shes pooping normally tho and now its brown and nice, no diarreah even with putting her on the victor fully
huntergreen and Sunsilver like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Quote:

poop was normal when we got her from the first poop just full of like grass.. already its brown and firm thanks to the victor... and no worms in it.. i did check... soonest vet could get me in is friday... i will bring in a stool sample just to have it checked..
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

Quote:

poop was normal when we got her from the first poop just full of like grass.. already its brown and firm thanks to the victor... and no worms in it.. i did check... soonest vet could get me in is friday... i will bring in a stool sample just to have it checked.. thats good to hear... lol this was a accidental mating they did NOT want so many pups at once.. they had plans for two.. and ended up with 3 litters. I know I washed her in a anti fungal shampoo and and spraying her daily with it.. just because of percaution.. they have a kennel out back for the pups and said they brought her inside at night... i just think she was eating something when she was outside.. so i was hoping people on here would tell me if its possible it was just grass or feed she was into.. no breathing issues... her lungs sound clear. she seems to be in good health minus what shes been eating.. and minus not being vaccinated.. which is why i made the call to the vet the moment my husband picked her up... as far as some of the comments on the thread about me taking a risk getting this pup... perhaps i did.. but isnt it better that "I" a responsible pet owner take in this pup than some joe smoe who doesnt care about the health of the animal to take her in... id rather be the 1 in 27 pup takers that provide a great home.
cliffson1 likes this.

Last edited by rockmissjess; 05-14-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Our dogs had green poop this morning. Sabis mom is right about the alfalfa. My guys always eat the ground up alfalfa leaves they find on the ground. They must have chowed down on some yesterday.
rockmissjess likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page