My 6 month old will not let my wife tidy up the house - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks for the update. Just looking at the heading before I reopened the thread, my thought went to maybe Chip thinks you should do the housework... From this post, it does seem like he's OK with you doing it and it seems like you've got this figured out. Congrats on your progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

There is definitely a difference between my wife and I. Chip will jump up on the couch next to me when I bend over to tuck the blankets in. What he won't do is lunge and mock bite. He simply lets out a little yelping bark which I take as " I object, but am not willing to do anything about it for fear you will lunge at me". It could also mean "hey, don't do that" or "what are you doing, I want to do that". Don't know. I have followed advice here- when he jumps up and comes towards me I stick my elbow out blocking his way to my hands, and then I stop and do not look at him, let him settle some and then proceed. He usually just watches me finish at that point, but if he barks or moves towards me I stop again. This behavior is improving. Some

Charles "Chip" Von Stonehill
Metro Detroit Area, Mi
Birthdate 10/08/18
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

I had a similar problem with my dog and my BF. Valor wont jump me (he did when I first got him but we extinguished that). For some reason he got it in his head my 6'2 BF represents a WWF tournament. Valor kills him with affection if allowed. He won't do it when I am looking. I have established a decent "place it" command with him and he does not want to hear it. He contains himself by parading around him with an object. However given the opportunity he will still maul him like a baby elephant giving kisses to a zookeeper. It is note worthy he only sees my BF like 6 or 7 times a month and he is definitely foind of him as he tends to be aloof to strangers and casual friends.

We tried my BF taking control and trying to send him to his place and such, but the corrections were making Valor escalate, and I just could not NOT discipline my dog for it. So I remained the "handler" and having a zero tolerance for him doing that to my BF...after a lot of consistency with hard corrections for being a ...I cant say it on the forum...and after receiving calm attention from my BF ONLY when he wasn't being one, it seems to have sunk in at almost 2. We spent the weekend together this past weekend and Valor did not pull his usual at all. He is also approaching age 2. Maturity plus being adamant about training.

When it comes to a large adolescent my way may not be the most popular but I do give out some off your feet, here comes Jesus corrections when they are hurting or molesting someone else ,even in play. MMMMmmm. No wiggle room here. I don't know how big your guy is at 6 months but definitely time to insist on manners.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Crowned Member

It is all up to what you allow and where your line is. Stopping something before it gets into a habit is easier then when it becomes a habit or learned behavior somewhere. Our chihuahua just started going after the vacuum he is 12 years old. I did think it was cute maybe an ego boost Iím not really sure because he did not cause a disturbance at first I did not mind but now the shepherds are like little dude whatís up so I just stopped that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

As far as discipline, I smacked him "hard" with his leash once when he was overly aggressive with an outside supplier at work. If I grab the leash and look angry he will drop in place and give me the "wasn't me" look from that time on. He is starting to control his emotions better and realizing that there are limits that will generate a response from me he won't like. The problem is my wife unwillingness to enforce some discipline. She backs down rather than gets aggressive with asserting her dominance. I have always felt that training my wife to handle the dog is more difficult than training the dog. In her defense, Chip is 6 months old, FULL of energy, and 80 lbs. He is sweet as the day is long, but if you do not understand his relative harmlessness he can be a little intimidating. He is big and his bark is unusually low and a little scary. Doesn't scare me, but it will get your attention. If Chip wanted to be rough or was intending you some harm, he would be dangerous and gone from our house. He is not mean or aggressive right to his core. I know this. I sense this. I see this.

Charles "Chip" Von Stonehill
Metro Detroit Area, Mi
Birthdate 10/08/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page