Please help! Need advice! About to lose our dog! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Please help! Need advice! About to lose our dog!

Hi everyone, I need immediate advice about my German Shepherd/Belgian malinois mix, she has gotten us into trouble and my wife and I are so distraught and don’t know what to do. We moved to a new state for my wife’s work into a one bedroom apartment six months ago from a five bedroom house. We didn’t have much time to look for an adequate place for our dog bailey to play, so we only wanted to be here temporarily and we excersise her as much as possible. She’s 15 months old and has never quite grown out of her biting stage, although she has significantly progressed and just bites when playing. She also barks at people around the apartment complex and it’s an intimidating bark, but when people come up to her she just wants to jump on them and lick them. We have had construction workers working on our complex since day one and she barks at them the worst, and well, she slipped off her collar last Friday and ran towards a worker and jumped up and head butted his arm, but according to the worker she bit him and showed me a small dot sized mark on his arm that did not look like a dog bite, and the guy and his friends started talking in Spanish and saying they might have to take him to the hospital, but I knew they were exaggerating and were looking for an excuse to screw me over, but I was also at their mercy because my dog was the one who initiated contact. So they called animal control and we got slapped with a fine of 250$ for a permit to register her as potentially dangerous, on top of that we got a notice from our apartment that we have to remove her from the premises in ten days or get evicted. We don’t know what to do, she is our pride and joy and we love her so much, some people have suggested putting her down or re homing her, but both options have put my wife and I in constant tears just thinking about it. She’s so attached to us and can’t take being away from us and I would have an emotional breakdown if we had to put her down. Can anyone please give me any advice? We don’t know what to do. She’s such a sweet dog and yes she does get visicious if someone tries to take away a treat or bone but is instantly happy if you can distract her and get the item away. And yes she does bark at people a lot at home and gets super excited, when she bit that guy it was a play bite and not a viscous one, at the dog park she doesn’t bark at anyone and is actually the sweetest dog there. We just don’t know what the right thing to do is and don’t want to lose her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

This is our precious Bailey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A52466F4-81FD-49FA-909A-7A926F7F878B_1554419650594.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	519809  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

Have you asked in writing for a hearing to contest the dangerous dog designation? Have you researched the ordinances in your locale regarding dangerous dogs? Most importantly, have you hired an attorney? You really need an attorney to work through whatever the process is with AC and whatever administrative appeals are allowed -- it's all quite variable depending on local practices, so you need someone who knows what those are. If your state bar has an animal law section for the membership, they'll keep a roll of attorneys practicing in this area.

If you have a hearing, do you have a trainer who's worked with her who can testify? If not, why haven't you done some professional training, given the serious issues that you've described?

Hopefully you have renter's or canine liability insurance that covers her -- it's also essential. If you do, make sure the complex knows you have separate insurance for the dog.

If your dog ends up having to be given up to a shelter, she will be put down with this history in most places. She won't be put up for adoption. She's also unlikely to be a rescue candidate with an animal control history and dangerous dog designation. If this all proceeds as you describe, what about dog-friendly hotel lodging until you can find another apartment?

Last edited by Magwart; 04-04-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM

holy cow, an attorney is your first course of action. Also check with Apartments.com. You might be able to find another place to move to. Other than that I have no clue.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Elite Member

If the worst occurs, contact Julie through the Facebook site for the Malinois Ranch Rescue. If they have room they will take her. They have taken much more serious bite cases. They have fosters i other states and I have helped transport dogs that were being moved almost the entire length of the country. Prayers you can keep her.
Sabis mom likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 PM

I don't know how viable this idea is...but if it could work out, you might consider a "board and train" facility that specializes in these kinds of dogs. It's pricey, but it gives her a safe place to stay while at the same time getting some excellent training that will help her mature into a more easily controlled dog. In the meantime, while she's "away at school" you can look for a more suitable living situation.

She looks like an awesome dog and I agree wholeheartedly that you shouldn't just give up on her!

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Lawyer. And start looking for a place for her to go while you find a new place to live.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

I live in Canada where we aren't quite so quick to sue, so advice I have echoes what others have said.
Hire an attorney first and start researching trainers because I agree that these are potentially serious issues. Buy a muzzle and make sure she wears it at any point when outside. Do you have an out of state relative or friend that can care for her short term while you find another place to live? I understand that moving is difficult but honestly you dropped the ball here, and I know that is not what you want to hear but it's the truth. You spoiled your dog, failed to train her, excused her behavior and then put her in a position that was guaranteed to go bad. So find a board and train that gets her out safely and find a new place to live. Last but not least get serious about training and control because she is doomed to fail if you don't
I am the worst dog owner ever, I encourage idiocy and condone foolishness, but under no circumstances would I take a dog that is known to jump and bite out in public without a muzzle. I will also suggest a martingale collar, they can't slip them so easily.

Good luck

I just reread your initial post. First you contradicted yourself so watch that, but also clarify this if you would please: If you fail to get the dog out in 10 days they evict? With how much notice? Because I don't know what it's like where you are but wouldn't letting them evict avoid issues with breaking a lease and can you find another place in time?

Last edited by Sabis mom; 04-04-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Also in Canada, and on flip side re: questions about notice to move. Here a notice almost seems like an eviction. But a notice is just a notice to suggest and possibly get you out of lease if you have one or want to. Find out if there is a tenant board and/or tribunal that you have to go through a process first before being made to leave.
Where I am, you usually get a chance to rectify situation whether be rent arrears, damages, dog barking etc. The saying here is, a landlord cannot evict you, only the landlord and tenant board can. and they have to follow law.
As for muzzle advice. yes. and record. record all interactions and situations where dog is vocalizing to contractors.
My old guy was a good bad dog...when he went after contractors/renovators who were on break, he made a huge entrance into their lunch circle....but mostly to wait for mango guy.
Mango guy always came last, sat alone, and when almost done with his daily mango, he would share with Gator.
Other guys got jealous and tried to spoil him with pear and cheese and crackers.
But he was prevented from the circle at first. Until they warmed.
It was a great time for him
car2ner likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with what everybody else said. Try to find somewhere that you can board her in the interim.
kaydub_u likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page