Please help! Need advice! About to lose our dog! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Cometdog. Accidents can and do happen. And most of us know at anytime there is a fine line that our dogs cannot cross.

My concern is statements made by the OP that indicate this would have been an anticipated outcome.

At 15 months the "puppy pass" has worn off and there is no such thing as a play bite - If I read the last few lines of the first post I see all kinds of red flags and denial.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

You don't have to have a puncture to be liable.

I had to go to bat for a 3-4 mo. old GSD pup that was off leash and SCRATCHED a child by jumping up -- it was impounded by AC, held in the "bite unit" of the shelter for 10 days, and was going to be euthanized because it hadn't yet had its rabies vaccine due to age. The owners didn't want it back due to fines and liability. The shelter vet and I petitioned AC to spare the pup and release it to rescue -- it was going to die at 5PM, and finally at 1PM the AC director said we could have it if it was gone by the end of the day. That's all over a SCRATCH.

I've also known a dog that ended up in hot water with AC for jumping and knocking a kid down on the street.

Another dog I know spent weeks in AC, had dangerous dog proceedings started, and was subject to a law suit that had a 5-figure settlement eventually because it was off-leash in the front yard, bounded over to greet the neighbor who was edging his lawn, surprised the guy and caused the string trimmer to slice the guy's leg (surface cut, no medical care needed, but still a cut). The guy claimed the dog bit him and the slice was from a tooth. His owners' lawyers spent 6 months resolving that case with both the injured party and AC. The injured party initially wanted the dog put down as part of the settlement, but with enough money offered decided to give up that demand.

So...bad stuff happens when dogs aren't under control.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

This thread is full of great examples of why it is bad for a dog to not be under your control regardless of their temperament of disposition. The girl I told about with the dent in her thigh. I had all but forgotten that ever happened 35 years ago. She has been reminded of it every single day.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM
Elite Member

Yes, the puppy pass has definitely expired at 15 months! And as these two videos show, there's no excuse for a dog that old NOT being trained. The first one was posted by clipke on the trhead about biting and jumping, and the second one is from the breeder of one of my dogs, who is working with her current litter. Pups that have not been sold yet are getting some early training, so they will adjust more easily when they go to their new homes:

https://www.facebook.com/tbirdgrl86/...&theater&ifg=1

Edit: how do I get this to be a live video instead of a link?
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Op, 16 different members offered 3 pages of advice and thoughts trying to help because you cried out for help but not once in these pages was there a response with an acknowledged thank you at the very least. It is a sad state when manners are absent and it needs to be taught and practiced for both humans and dogs. It helps keep both species out of trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
This is just one more in many threads started on this forum where the OP has had some "ideas and suggestions" from members with no response from the OP....in many cases here that's typical....start a thread...get members attention....get them emotionally involved and disappear ....I get there's a lot going on now in the OPs life......but if you can take the time to start a thread...then take the time to watch and keep up with it......
So, I'm gonna totally derail this just for the sake of these comments.

Guys. It's been like 3 days. People have lives. Ya'll probably shouldn't get all bent out of shape over internet people not saying "Thank You" or responding. Chill out.

Now just so I can say something remotely on topic, OP get a lawyer.
middleofnowhere likes this.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

Somehow the link to clipke's post got edited out. Reposting:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...13-post18.html
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
So, I'm gonna totally derail this just for the sake of these comments.

Guys. It's been like 3 days. People have lives. Ya'll probably shouldn't get all bent out of shape over internet people not saying "Thank You" or responding. Chill out.

Now just so I can say something remotely on topic, OP get a lawyer.

Every member here who took the time and put thought into their answer also have lives....some have day to day very busy lives and yet only one member actually has a vested interest in the responses....that would be the OP.... the problem is his and his alone.....so NO I don't think it's asking to much to expect the one person involved in this thread who could actually benefit from the posts... that would be the OP...... to stay involved with the post... You see on rare occasions here with a few threads the OP does stay involved and actually does offer "thank yous"....but in 2019 I don't expect much in the way of..."please" or "thank yous" or just simple common courtesy and so...I'm usually not disappointed ......I hope the OP does actually finish this thread because I want to know the fate of the dog....as far as hiring a lawyer goes for the OP that will be a true reality check IMO-----OMG.. it's not always someone elses fault and yes I am responsible for what my dog does....pretty sure that's referred to as liability.....but I'm sure a judge could explain that better than me
tc68, misfits, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Elite Member

Sad if you have to hire a lawyer because your dog jumped on someone... reality check, yes, but tough way to learn. I guess it keeps lawyers, judges, paralegals in business. I wish it could be solved with an "I'm very sorry, I will pay any expenses, and I will ensure it will never happen again." At least the first time. And then do ensure it never happens again- when it comes to this type of incident.

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Yes, the puppy pass has definitely expired at 15 months! And as these two videos show, there's no excuse for a dog that old NOT being trained. The first one was posted by clipke on the trhead about biting and jumping, and the second one is from the breeder of one of my dogs, who is working with her current litter. Pups that have not been sold yet are getting some early training, so they will adjust more easily when they go to their new homes:

https://www.facebook.com/tbirdgrl86/...&theater&ifg=1

Edit: how do I get this to be a live video instead of a link?
Facebook doesnít allow embeds, so you canít make the video live here. They want to force people to log into their site rather than watching it on another one.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondizzle21 View Post
Hi everyone, I need immediate advice about my German Shepherd/Belgian malinois mix, she has gotten us into trouble and my wife and I are so distraught and donít know what to do. We moved to a new state for my wifeís work into a one bedroom apartment six months ago from a five bedroom house. We didnít have much time to look for an adequate place for our dog bailey to play, so we only wanted to be here temporarily and we excersise her as much as possible. Sheís 15 months old and has never quite grown out of her biting stage, although she has significantly progressed and just bites when playing. She also barks at people around the apartment complex and itís an intimidating bark, but when people come up to her she just wants to jump on them and lick them. We have had construction workers working on our complex since day one and she barks at them the worst, and well, she slipped off her collar last Friday and ran towards a worker and jumped up and head butted his arm, but according to the worker she bit him and showed me a small dot sized mark on his arm that did not look like a dog bite, and the guy and his friends started talking in Spanish and saying they might have to take him to the hospital, but I knew they were exaggerating and were looking for an excuse to screw me over, but I was also at their mercy because my dog was the one who initiated contact. So they called animal control and we got slapped with a fine of 250$ for a permit to register her as potentially dangerous, on top of that we got a notice from our apartment that we have to remove her from the premises in ten days or get evicted. We donít know what to do, she is our pride and joy and we love her so much, some people have suggested putting her down or re homing her, but both options have put my wife and I in constant tears just thinking about it. Sheís so attached to us and canít take being away from us and I would have an emotional breakdown if we had to put her down. Can anyone please give me any advice? We donít know what to do. Sheís such a sweet dog and yes she does get visicious if someone tries to take away a treat or bone but is instantly happy if you can distract her and get the item away. And yes she does bark at people a lot at home and gets super excited, when she bit that guy it was a play bite and not a viscous one, at the dog park she doesnít bark at anyone and is actually the sweetest dog there. We just donít know what the right thing to do is and donít want to lose her.
I think some folks should re read this post, pay attention to the bolded parts and especially to the bolded underlined statement at the end.
They know she bit him, and contrary to popular belief not all bites result in bloody, gapping wounds. The dog that CRUSHED my arm and cost me months of physio left only very tiny punctures. The damage looked really minimal except that my arm was twice it's normal size and I couldn't move my fingers or wrist.

I suspect the worker is blowing it up, but the reality is that an out of control dog, and a large one, jumped on him and nipped/bit/scratched whatever. Dogs require training and control, hopefully this girl gets the chance to be a good dog.
Shane'sDad and JessicaR like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page