Please help! Need advice! About to lose our dog! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

I don't want to turn this into a political thread, so I want to be careful here, but if dog owners had anything close to the equivalent of the NRA to protect their rights, I think we'd be in a much better situation. Wish we did. Somebody needs to be a voice of reason, and bring some clear definitions and a better system into play when it comes to situations like this.

I don't think this dog sounds aggressive.

I know someone who was killed walking their daughters completely UN-aggressive dog when the dog pulled her down by pulling on his leash. Stuff happens, it's horrible but that is part of life and I don't think labeling every dog who jumps on someone as dangerous is the answer. I also don't think a lab who jumped on someone is nearly as likely to be labeled dangerous as a GSD who does... and that isn't consistent or fair. Life isn't fair, and this is why GSD owners need to be especially responsible, but I do think somehow, dog owners need to come together and advocate for better dog legislation.

I agree about controlling dogs, completely. Don't get me wrong, but I think the system, as a whole needs to get updated from when dogs actually were sources of rabies, and even a scratch could be a huge risk to public health. Now, in US, next to no dogs carry rabies ... and the legislation needs to start reflecting that, and also the dog's role as more than just property.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

My read on this is that it wasn't a bite. You know if it's a bite. (lots of blood for one thing) Next thing is check your state's (city's, county's) land lord tenant law. Then find a lawyer. Eviction is a PIA from my few attempts at renting to people. It can take forever.

I would also look into the rescue community maybe just for someone to foster your dog until you get another place. But one thing to discuss with the attorney is your right to break the lease and move if they demand you move the dog. So far as "these types of dogs" I just don't see that from the post.

One thing to consider is that moving may be the easiest route for you and your dog --- that way all of you avoid getting a stigma attached. You're gone, the dog's gone, hopefully they drop everything and it blows over.

This is stuff we all fear and none of us need. May it all turn out well for you and your dog. Please keep us posted.
Muskeg and kaydub_u like this.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Crowned Member

I am shocked at the number of people stating that this was not a bite and they should protest/fight it. Whether the dog bumped or bit, whether it was playing or not it slipped it's collar and rushed a human. Had this been someone more fragile there could have been serious injuries.
The simple fact that she slipped her collar to do this makes me seriously question the harmless play idea.
No I do not want the dog penalized. But the owners need to step up and take responsibility.
The OP stated that the dog head butted, then stated that it was a play bite, and opened with "my dog jumps and bites".
This looks like a classic case of an owner excusing poor or even dangerous behavior. At 15 months that behavior is not cute, not funny and not acceptable. Unfortunately these are the types of owners that cost dogs their lives and give their breed of choice a bad name.
I hope that they are able to keep their dog and I sincerely hope they take the advice to get this dog trained ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

There is a difference between an intentional bite and a dog that accidentally scratches someone with a tooth while amped up. I agree the dog should be kept under control, but it happened and they can’t redo it. All they can do is make sure it never happens again.
Muskeg and Pan_GSD like this.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=Sabis mom;9157751]
This looks like a classic case of an owner excusing poor or even dangerous behavior. At 15 months that behavior is not cute, not funny and not acceptable. Unfortunately these are the types of owners that cost dogs their lives and give their breed of choice a bad name.[/QUOTE

Entitlement????? Manners seem to fly out the window when entitlement enters the door. "He just wants
to jump and lick"

Op, 16 different members offered 3 pages of advice and thoughts trying to help because you cried out for help but not once in these pages was there a response with an acknowledged thank you at the very least. It is a sad state when manners are absent and it needs to be taught and practiced for both humans and dogs. It helps keep both species out of trouble.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM

I feel as though unless there was actual physical injury, like wound, it'd be hard to prove she bit him. I'm not familiar with the law in regard to this, but I'd contest it if possible. If there's no wound, there was likely no bite. I have a hole in my hand from my exes dog biting me. It's pretty noticeable, and definitely not a small dot.
Sunsilver likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:22 AM
Elite Member

clipke, I've been thinking this ever since I read the first post: if it had been my dog, I would have been grabbing for my cell phone to take a picture of the (supposed) bite!

If it was really just a little dot, I'm sure a photo would have made a huge difference to this whole situation.
But like they say...hindsight...[sigh!]
clipke likes this.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Master Member

This is just one more in many threads started on this forum where the OP has had some "ideas and suggestions" from members with no response from the OP....in many cases here that's typical....start a thread...get members attention....get them emotionally involved and disappear ....I get there's a lot going on now in the OPs life......but if you can take the time to start a thread...then take the time to watch and keep up with it......

You say your dog has never quite grown out of her biting stage.....then you say.. head butted the guy....later changes to bit the guy ???.......I really--REALLY hope for the dogs sake that you can find someplace to board your dog while you get your living situation "fixed"....I completely understand why AC would want you to pay for a permit for a "potentially dangerous".. note they didn't say dangerous....they put potentially in front of the word dangerous....they could have picked up your dog and in short order euthanized it...and YES that happens somewhere everyday.....IMO you're very fortunate it didn't end worse than it did.....If I was your landlord I'd want your dog out also....Why would I want the risk of a "potentially dangerous" dog on MY property in this crazy "sue someone"....liability driven....hope you've got insurance world we live in today??...what happened here is just one more negative statistic added to a list somewhere... of dogs I really love....

To any new member who reads this thread don't put your dog in a situation like this....hire a trainer early rather than waiting until later... most new owners "think" they know what they're doing OR they "think" they can fix every issue by posting here.....NOPE !.....one of the first things ANY decent trainer would do would be give some advice on the "right" collar and how to fit that collar to your dog....I wish you luck...I hope this turns out for you and your dog...
NancyJ, tc68, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

This is a good reminder for everyone. No one wants to be rushed by a strange German Shepherd, even a friendly one. One of the first things we learned in puppy class is to wait calmly to greet people, then give permission to “go say hi.” Not that mine always do that, but we work at it. One of mine is not friendly at all to strangers and will not approach a stranger. The other is a bit more excited.
tc68, Muskeg, Sabis mom and 3 others like this.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

While I agree that this doesn't sound like ..from a the post at least.. a "dangerous dog" deserving case. But, it was an out of control dog. My grandmother use to have a Chihuahua when I was little. She would chase kids and nip. She slipped the door one day and chased a 12 year old girl who SLAMMED her thigh on a metal car bumper (bumpers in the 70s were for real lol). She was a dancer and I recently saw her at a high school reunion. She still had a permanent deep dent in her thigh. And she was still angry. 35 years later. She said she hated the way her leg looked, it affected her dancing and the way she looked in dance clothes and cheer clothes. She quit both. Is it life ending? No. Was the teacup Chihuahua big enough to do more than rip her sock? Nope. It doesn't matter though. Our dog caused trauma. Period.

That said too, anyone who has never had a dog break out of a door, dig under a fence, or slip a collar has merely been lucky. Or they live alone with dogs, and have no kids or elders to make a mistake when they aren't looking. The important part is learn from it and change it.

OP, take the time to update us if you can. People here care for sure. I agree you need an attorney. I hope you get to keep your dog and can get past this and work with a trainer who can help you with Obedience and proper collars etc.
Sabis mom and clipke like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page