Constant car drooling - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Judy Untamed
  • 1 Post By Shane'sDad
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Constant car drooling

Every time I get my puppy into my car she begins drooling whether the car is on or not and then that leads to vomiting cause she’s so nervous. Is this normal? And how do it stop it. Ive offered treats and taken her to happy places that she loves but she just keeps thinking the car is the devil. Help!
Danina14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 29,526
my guess is she has motion sickness. the drooling is a sign of nausea. Call you vet and ask for Cerenia.

If she's been sick often it could make her nervous in the car and make it worse. This sounds really similar to what I went thru with Seger. He eventually refused to even get in the car. If it made you sick every time, wouldn't you hate it too?
I put him on the Cerenia, he did better in the front seat than the rear. Some dogs do better with rear facing crates.

I think there is an over the counter version of cerenia with the other motion sickness meds. Just make sure to give on an empty stomach at least an hour before you get in the car.
Shane'sDad likes this.




Jax08 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Judy Untamed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 239
How is she being transported? Is she in a crate? Is it secure or does it wobble/shift around? Is she attached to a seat belt? Has a harness? Free to roam? How old is she? Can she see out the window when the car is moving?

She might feel insecure and unsafe while the car is moving. She might be getting motion sickness if she can feel the movement but can't see out the window.

Have you tried starting with tiny little baby steps? Give her treats near the car, then just walk away. Do that a few times. Put her in the car, give her treats. Then let her back out and walk away. Do that as long as it takes for her to calm down just being placed in the car. Then go for very short rides with someone to help give her treats while the car is moving. VERY short...like around the block. Repeated until she's calm enough for that length of time. Gradually increase the distance until you can arrive at some fun destination. Repeat until car rides are something to be excited about. It may take quite a bit of patience and time and success may be dependent on why she's so unhappy in the car.
techinstructor likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Judy Untamed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
my guess is she has motion sickness. the drooling is a sign of nausea. Call you vet and ask for Cerenia.

If she's been sick often it could make her nervous in the car and make it worse. This sounds really similar to what I went thru with Seger. He eventually refused to even get in the car. If it made you sick every time, wouldn't you hate it too?
I put him on the Cerenia, he did better in the front seat than the rear. Some dogs do better with rear facing crates.

I think there is an over the counter version of cerenia with the other motion sickness meds. Just make sure to give on an empty stomach at least an hour before you get in the car.
it’s not the motion cause me and my friend sat in his car without the car on and she still drooled.
Danina14 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Untamed View Post
How is she being transported? Is she in a crate? Is it secure or does it wobble/shift around? Is she attached to a seat belt? Has a harness? Free to roam? How old is she? Can she see out the window when the car is moving?

She might feel insecure and unsafe while the car is moving. She might be getting motion sickness if she can feel the movement but can't see out the window.

Have you tried starting with tiny little baby steps? Give her treats near the car, then just walk away. Do that a few times. Put her in the car, give her treats. Then let her back out and walk away. Do that as long as it takes for her to calm down just being placed in the car. Then go for very short rides with someone to help give her treats while the car is moving. VERY short...like around the block. Repeated until she's calm enough for that length of time. Gradually increase the distance until you can arrive at some fun destination. Repeat until car rides are something to be excited about. It may take quite a bit of patience and time and success may be dependent on why she's so unhappy in the car.
she’s free to roam in the back seat I’ll crack the windows a little and I’ve already tried treats and taking her to a fun destination if you read my description nothing is working
Danina14 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:04 AM
Master Member
 
Shane'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 585
We've had a few like yours as young dogs.....the drooling would start before the vehicle moved ( I labeled it nervous anxiety ) followed by barfing during the ride.... as another post stated...Cerenia or something like it for motion sickness will help......the good news--at least in my case they all outgrew it over time...while being taken on regular rides...
Jax08 likes this.
Shane'sDad is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Judy Untamed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danina14 View Post
sheís free to roam in the back seat Iíll crack the windows a little and Iíve already tried treats and taking her to a fun destination if you read my description nothing is working
I did read that. But did you read mine? Did you "try treats" in a very slow, incremental method? That's what I was suggesting. A methodical and deliberate plan that takes place over days or even weeks. If that's what you've already tried, then I did not read it in the scant words of your original post. I'm just trying to help.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Judy Untamed is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Malibu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 422
I would open the car in your drive way and just sit there & talk on phone, play cards, leave doors open and give her really good treats and really easy commands. someone can leave the car and someone stays and then the person comes back and joins the party again. I have never had this problem but if I did I would have a little party in my car/van/suv and eventually I would go to the end of the driveway or street and sit there for 5 minutes car running. start small and move forward.
Malibu is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member
 
Clare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 6,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
We've had a few like yours as young dogs.....the drooling would start before the vehicle moved ( I labeled it nervous anxiety ) followed by barfing during the ride.... as another post stated...Cerenia or something like it for motion sickness will help......the good news--at least in my case they all outgrew it over time...while being taken on regular rides...
This was Sasha... 2years of it before she finally outgrew it. But you could almost guarantee she was gonna puke when she was in the car.

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Clare is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excessive drooling and licking lips farnln Health Issues 11 01-03-2018 07:15 AM
GSD started drooling all of a sudden Christieb24 Health Issues 7 06-23-2015 12:42 AM
Drooling & pregnancy Cheyanna Health Issues 2 04-29-2013 10:00 PM
Drooling After Dental Work? mikeschmeee Health Issues 9 07-10-2012 10:00 PM
Drooling ...? Twyla Health Issues 24 04-02-2012 08:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome