12 week old puppy and 13 month old GSDs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

12 week old puppy and 13 month old GSDs

My brother recently bought a German Shepherd puppy(female). There is also a 13 month old(male) in the house. I’m doing my best to keep the pup from biting anything, but she likes to bite the other dog which leads to him putting his whole mouth around her and it scares me even though I know he’s a super friendly dog. My question is will he snap on her at one point? He has bite marks or his legs and back so I know he’s about fed up. Any advice would help. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

If the puppy is leaving marks on the other dog that is not ok. You need to step in and protect this poor patient dog. It is up to the humans to amuse the puppy not toss the responsibility onto another dog, and a young one at that. And yes I would expect at some point he will get fed up.
CometDog likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I try to entertain as much as possible. But I also want them to be able to play together. Hopefully she will come around to no biting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

I would not let another dog take the brunt of deciding when a pup has gone too far, especially not another young strong male. Yes, he will roll him at some point if it keeps up and depending on his temperament and bite inhibition...could run the gamut from a pup with a wounded ego to a pup with puncture wounds.

You should definitely be the one stopping the puppy. I would also keep them separate for a good part of the day. Puppies who view the other dog in the house as their source of fun and bonding run the risk of becoming too "doggy". You will lay a much more stronger foundation with your pup if you are his source for fun, food, reward, etc. Their interactions will greatly improved if it is more limited and supervised. Lots of luck with the new pup, browse the sections there are lots of good posts here about having a puppy with existing dogs in the home

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page