Curb excessive barking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Curb excessive barking?

My 10-week-old GSD-Dobie mix has recently started barking at everything. Birds on a telephone wire, other dogs, the sprinklers, me when I stop playing with him because he bit too hard.

When he barks at me I pointedly ignore him in the hope he’ll learn there’s no reward for that behavior. But is there any way to dissuade him from nonstop barking at birds in the backyard? I don’t want my neighbors to hate me when he’s grown and has a bark loud enough to stretch across the neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Knighted Member

At 10 wks of age, distraction is key! If it were me, I would keep him occupied and engaged with me while outside, and bring him in when he starts losing interest. Barking at stuff is self-rewarding, so simply ignoring him might get the message across eventually, but it may not as well. From my perspective you'd be better off keeping him engaged with you, leading him to do stuff that's even more fun, and containing him where he doesn't have stuff to bark at otherwise. He'll likely grow out of this excessive barking phase, the key is structuring his environment such that it doesn't become a habit.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 PM

My 5month pup, starts barking every day from 4:30-5:30am..else he barks when it’s windy, or at times to alert... today one of the neighbors came and complained... his kennel is outside the house since the temp is cool these days. He sleeps in his kennel at night .. I need some guidance on how to train him to bark on command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameethageorge View Post
My 5month pup, starts barking every day from 4:30-5:30am..else he barks when itís windy, or at times to alert... today one of the neighbors came and complained... his kennel is outside the house since the temp is cool these days. He sleeps in his kennel at night .. I need some guidance on how to train him to bark on command.
To stop the unwanted early morning barking, let him sleep inside. To teach a dog to bark on command backtie him and get him excited about something, a toy or a tug or a flirt pole, until he barks, then praise and a treat. Most dogs catch on pretty quickly. With my dog I barked at her to get her to bark...basically it's whatever works with your dog!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Hate to even say this but if you know how to use a training collar this might be a good time. I say this because so many people wait to long to correct certain bad issues and @ such an early age the collar will work. People finally end up trying to use a shock collar but @ latter ages the dog knows when it is on and when it is off. Using this collar for a few months you will never deal with those issues again. You might give them 1-2 shocks but the rest of the time you just need to vibrate but again you need to know how to use commands on time along with corrections along with rewards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page