German Shepherds Forum banner

9 month old biting

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  nathangallego26 
#1 ·
My 9 mo female has been biting again. Sje has always been very bitey but it seemed to tone down for awhile but the past. Dats she has started again. Like when i interact with her in her crate she bit me, not hard she doesnt seem to put much pressure. But when i said no she began to put down more pressure. So i took my hand away and said no again and she went for my hand again and lunged at me. I believe it is just play, but it is disrespectful annoying and starts to hurt when she puts down pressure. Again today when i was bringing her inside on her leash I was trying to take it off ans she bit my hand, so i kept trying to take off the leash and she kept biting my arms even though i told her no multiple times. I got so fed up when she bit me again I fave her a smack with the end of my leash which has a rubber handle. Then she bit me again and tried to run away to avoid the punishment. I was so pissed and I put her in her cage again and tried my best to not freak out even though she did start biting again. Now I dobt think she is trying to hurt me but i do believe she is being bratty so to say. My fear is that, if she does this to me, her main handler, what will she do if someone else tries to play with her or kids are around. She plays too rough and i am having trouble stopping it. I need some advice, should I use a bonker like Larry Krohm says, or do I do something else. Because right now I'm completely lost and very frustrated.

#2 ·
Whenever corrections become personal, you can count on them creating issues. Dogs that are persistent often come back at you harder from a correction. I don't know anything about your dog's temperament, but you could try firmly grabbing her by both sides of the scruff of her neck and looking her dead in the eye and telling her "no" while keeping eye contact for a while. If corrections make things worse, just remove yourself from the dog rather than using the crate as punishment. As long as you are working on obedience and building your relationship with your dog and not letting her get away with a lot of bad behavior, she will eventually mature out of the biting.

#3 ·
THIS ^^^^^ lock eyes and be stern....typically she'll drop her eyes or look away...may be something you do more than once...she's at an age where she must-MUST learn to respect you now... if not... things won't be good for you or her down the road.....swatting her with the leash when you're upset won't help you or her

#4 ·
Educate yourself with the help of a good trainer before you grab a disrespecting dog by the neck and looking straight in her eyes. Best way for your face to be taken off. From the dog's point of view you have no business challenging the leader and she may very well bite back, to not fault of her own but rather because of the lack a good start when she was little. Thankfully she is young and it is fairly easy to turn things around if you know what to do. Use non-confrontational ways like in 'Nothing in Life is Free' (google it) and become a smarter trainer after which your bond with her will become balanced.

#5 ·
That is why I commented I didn't know anything about her dog and she could try my suggestion. From the description she gave of her dog and the fact that she asking how to deal with the problem here, I think the odds are unlikely that she has the type of pup that will result in "your face to be taken off." That is why I also mentioned "as long as you are working on obedience and building your relationship with your dog and not letting her get away with a lot of bad behavior..."

#6 ·
OP ... at the beginning of this thread you stated "has been biting again"---I then checked your profile ( I checked after my first post) you've started four threads related to behavioral issues...as I said before it's very clear to me that your dog does not respect you....based on the "tone" of all the threads I'm guessing you're a novice....so if you really want to "fix" this...then find a trainer-one familiar with GSDs and issues--a good trainer will evaluate you and your dog and come up with a plan....some trainers methods may seem harsh and/or mean to you...but if you want this to work follow the trainers advice...please don't wait and put this off...it won't fix itself or go away on it's own

The idea of holding a dog by the scruff and locking eyes has worked and does work.....FOR ME and a few others I've known.. but won't work for the majority IMO....over the years I've had dogs that others didn't want and some had a "history"--the same exact methods didn't work on every dog...back then there was no internet and no one knew what a search engine or google was...but I had to come up with a plan for each dog.. to get the dogs respect.....period...because the alternative was all too real....euthanasia

Once more OP find a trainer for you and your dog--if you don't.. sometimes these things don't end the way an inexperienced owner hopes they will.

#7 ·
Well the dog that I have owned for 8+ years took a shot at my face this morning, and realized as she did so that she had made a HUGE mistake!
I agree with every one else FIND A TRAINER!
I have had dogs all my life and I agree that the hard stare coupled with the snarled NO usually does the trick on a soft to moderate dog, which it sounds like this girl is. She sounds like a sweet, happy and mouthy girl who is trying to get your attention but I can't see her. She also sounds like she is owned by someone who will hesitate or flinch, two for flinching right? And I can promise that this is exactly the battle that will win or lose the whole war because it's an action that MUST be followed through. If you are going to challenge a dog, you better have teeth. So again,
FIND A TRAINER!

#8 ·
Yes i believe she is just being bratty, she has never aggressively bit me, it just seems kind of like a child trying to talk back. You tell them no and they always have to get the last word in.That is what she is doing except she likes to gnaw on my arm and gets upset when i say no. But yes I see that I need to work on more obedience and gain more respect from her.

#9 ·
" Like when i interact with her in her crate she bit me, not hard she doesnt seem to put much pressure. But when i said no she began to put down more pressure. So i took my hand away and said no again and she went for my hand again and lunged at me."

This part is confusing. Is she locked in the crate and are you are sticking your finger through the wire? Or do you have the door open and she can interact without the wire interfering with her attempts to interact?

This may seem like a minor thing to ask about but if she is in the crate for down time and the crate is locked to keep her quiet, then you would be giving her mixed signals putting your hand through the wires. you may view it as interacting, she may have become frustrated because she couldn't interact and when you said no if you still had your hand through the wires it could be viewed as antagonizing. I know that wasn't your intention but it may be how she sees it.

As others have suggested, I think a trainer will be able to help you.

#10 ·
Ok so i feed her in her crate and when I took her bowl away I was just petting her and she was very calm. Then she just started mouthing my hand, not biting down. But I told her no and I took my hand away and that seemed to annoy her so she went for my hand and started to mouth it again. I took my hanf out again and then she sort of got up to lung at my hand and she mouthed it but with some added pressure that time. Then i just shut the crate and left her. But it is just annoying that she doesnt listen when I say no

#12 ·
Thank you for clarifying. I'm not a trainer but ask yourself why are you allowing her access to your arms and hand. Be accountable for the role that you play in how she is behaving. This isn't a harsh suggestion, just one that many (including myself) have had to face in order to become successful in teaching what we want from our dogs.

A trainer will teach you how to "capture" those nice calm moments in a way that she will not only understand but will want to repeat. They will also teach you how to effectively enforce the rules and boundaries that you want obeyed.

#13 ·
I agree a few sessions with an experienced trainer could do you and your pup a world of good. A good trainer could give you confidence and teach you how to respond to such moments. Does your dog know any basic obedience?--I think working on the basics (sit, stay, come, down, ect) can go a long way in deepening your bond and helping your dog respect you. If your dog isn't aggressive to other dogs or people, and if money is an issue, a group class could be more affordable than private sessions. Also, you might want to google or search this site for the term NILIF (Nothing in Life is free).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.