Puppy Biting From Frustration? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Biting From Frustration?

I have a five month old puppy who seems to be biting when he is frustrated. When we are walking him with our older dog, Dixie, and one person lags behind with Dixie and the other person tries to lead him forward, he doesn't want to leave her/the other person. It starts with him pulling to try to get back to them, but then it quickly progresses into him trying to bite the person holding his leash. He bit my husband's arm and my leg when we tried to lead him away on two separate occasions.

I take him on walks by himself all the time and he sometimes bites the leash if he feels it's getting in his way, but never tries to bite me unless he's excited and trying to play.

I've already been through one puppy obedience class with him and intend to start another obedience class in a few weeks.

I'm not sure how to correct this behavior since he's still just a puppy, but I feel that this is something that can't be allowed to continue as he grows. I'd love to know if anyone has any suggestions on what to do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Take control and stop it before it starts.I would have a favorite toy and a treat bag ready to reward for his engagement with me.Be enthusiastic and interesting!If he starts to pull back,a leash pop,walk faster and muster up more enthusiasm!!It might be easier to practice engagement walking behind the other dog then move ahead when you've got his focus.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM

I'll echo Dogma13. Just a walk can get boring. Your pup may want to walk faster. Your pup may want to play with you. Use that to your advantage! Bring a toy and some treats and stop and play. Find things to go around. Find things to climb on. Find things to go to and come back from. If you see another dog and your pup has good manners you will want to reward that with a little play time. Be fun to be so you don't spend time with your pup dragging you down the road to find interesting stuff.

Now that my dogs are older I relax a bit more on walks. If my boy is feeling feisty he might grab the leash. I'll actually tug with him a bit. We call the game "bad boy". He always stops when I tell him to and he hasn't destroyed the leash. So in my house, if my dogs are not chewing the leash or being pushy about it, we allow the occasional leash grab. We do insist that stop means stop. And I reward a quick release.
dogma13 and Judy Untamed like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! Now that you've suggested it, it seems obvious that I should have been trying this already. I recently bought a toy that will fit in my jacket pocket, so I'll make sure to bring that with me in the future.

I also noticed that it doesn't seem to matter if we're separating from Dixie. I held both dogs while my husband walked back to the car for just a second and he was very unhappy about the group splitting up. Once my husband returned, he was happy to continue. Is this "keep the group together" philosophy typical? It's been so long since I've had a puppy that it seems I've forgotten what to expect.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 PM

All of my shepherds (and one sheltie) are/were not pleased when the family splits up whenever we are out and about.Whenever we would stop for a restroom break on a road trip the dogs had to wait for the family to stand together before they would relieve themselves.Must be a herding thing?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page