What Human Things Does Your Puppy Try to Claim as a Toy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

What Human Things Does Your Puppy Try to Claim as a Toy?

My puppy has plenty of toys, chews, etc., but she more often than not shows too much interest in human items. Here is a list of her favorites:

Laptop mouse
Cell phone
Shoes & Socks
Arrowhead water bottles (individual servings)
Soda cans
Stapler
Remote controls
Pillows: Bed pillows and outdoor chair pad
Toilet paper rolls
Keys
Dust Pan
Broom

Recently, I had to negotiate an empty coffee cup away from her, while she carried it off by the handle. I didn't want her to break another one, so I used the "give" command, and exchanged her favorite treat for the cup.

I'm not sure why dogs become attracted to some things, like a computer mouse or remotes. I understand the attraction to shoes (can have a odor) or plastic water bottles (like to chew on them). I know they are curious, but sometimes I wonder what the attraction is to some things.

What Human Things Does Your Puppy/dog Try to Claim as a Toy?

Last edited by NaughtyNibbler; 03-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

Hans is 7.
Still shreds paper towels and cardboard boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B4CC0DF-1C96-47DC-B3C8-14A6FE544837.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	518935  
huntergreen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

We have dubbed Shadow the Recycler. She crushes plastic bottles and shreds empty cardboard boxes. It's a great pastime for a bored dog.
But she also has some fixation with socks. She does not chew them, seems to have no preference for clean or dirty and can fit 3-4 pairs at a time in her mouth. And she always takes them in pairs. It tied in well with me teaching her to help with the laundry.
She also adopted a cheap old plastic sled that I had and would tow it around the yard by the string handle. So I taught her to help with yard work.
Basically if she steals stuff or has a thing for it I put her to work!
Best toy ever was the cheapy kiddy pool. Great fun all summer and when I emptied it come winter she dragged, pushed and chased it all over the yard in the snow.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
We have dubbed Shadow the Recycler. She crushes plastic bottles and shreds empty cardboard boxes. It's a great pastime for a bored dog.
But she also has some fixation with socks. She does not chew them, seems to have no preference for clean or dirty and can fit 3-4 pairs at a time in her mouth. And she always takes them in pairs.
Best toy ever was the cheapy kiddy pool. Great fun all summer and when I emptied it come winter she dragged, pushed and chased it all over the yard in the snow.
"The recycler" is a cute nickname. "Demo Dog" seems to fit Cassie. Unfortunately, she never takes a pair, so I'm left to search for "the other sock" or "the other shoe" if I don't catch her in the act.

It will be Cassie's first Summer & she likes water, so I'll have to try out a kiddie pool with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Hans is 7.
Still shreds paper towels and cardboard boxes.
If you could only train him to put the pieces in the recycle bin, when he is done, LOL. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Last edited by NaughtyNibbler; 03-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:12 AM
Master Member

Well, the strangest toy my dog (not puppy) claimed was an old plastic dumptruck we had in the backyard from when the girls were little. He carried it around, would attack and "kill" it periodically, and when it was finally warped and punctured, I threw it away. He also attacked and "killed" all of the buckets in the backyard (they have tooth puncture holes, sigh).

hmm, maybe they like your mouse or your remote or your phone because they see you holding it a lot! They're like, "hey, I want to try my human's toy and find out why this is so fun!" (plus, it smells nicely of You)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Master Member

Another evil thought crossed my mind...

maybe she knows that when she takes those things of yours (mouse, phone, remote) she knows that she can get your attention and you might chase her (fun, fun!) or even give her a treat so you can take it back...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 AM
Elite Member

All the toys in our home belong to Nitro. When I bought some door draft stoppers that looked like extra long sausage dogs, he naturally presumed they were his. The ears and tails got chewed off, they got tossed around outside, before finally being retired in the bin.

And, when I learned to knit, he assumed the balls of yarn were new soft balls for him and me to play with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 AM

My dogs both destroy basketballs. They have one that has been popped for months that they still try to rip to shreds.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Luna goes after my socks & underwear, bah! She loves tearing up paper towels/napkins. The worst offender is our sofa decorative pillows. For some reason she prefers grabbing on to those and viciously whipping them back and forth lol. Been working on that!

Luna, Born 5/6/2017
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

Max likes to go through my bags or anyone’s bag when they come over he is just very noisey. Last year my friend bought a stuffed animal for one of the kids and max thought it was for him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page