8 mo doesn't like kennel - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

8 mo doesn't like kennel

My 8 mo female does not seem to like her outdoor kennel. I normally put her in it for breakfast after a long walk and fetch. And I will switch her from the kennel to our large fenced in yard throughout the day, and at night I bring her inside to her crate. The problem is that in her kennel for the first 10 minutes or so she is very crazy. Constant whining and jumping up against the sides of the kennel and barking for what seems like no reason. And, when I am trying to grab something out of her kennel and I am trying to leave, she just tries to bolt out of the gate while I am trying to get out. When I step in front of her to block her from escaping she nips my ankles or jumps on me. I cant even take her leash off in her kennel without her imediately running to the gate to try and get out. I just don't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 PM

does she have anything to do in her kennel? At 8 months old she has no idea why she is being left alone in there. Do you have a regular routine? Maybe if she knows that "after this we always do that" it might help.
crittersitter likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like she wants to be with you instead of outside alone. A lot of German Shepherds are like that.
crittersitter likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Ive been doing this since she was 10 weeks old, and normally it is normally right after I spend around an hour with her then I put her in there to eat or just to get some shade when it is hot. I guess I could try getting her some more toys and giving her a treat before I leave to associate something good for when I have to go.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Adolescent dogs can develop changes in behaviors. You would be dealing with going through the "teenager years" if this were a human. Your dog is going to have more "hey, what about this idea" moments. Keep rewarding behaviors you like. Have fair consequences for behaviors you don't. Yes our dogs have to get used to time alone but just realize that they don't like it one bit.
tc68 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Master Member

This is another obedience based issue. What have you done with her in terms of obedience? She should first learn she has to sit until you give the release command to leave the kennel. As that improves, raise the expectations. She has to sit with the gate open and then be released. She has to sit with the gate opened with you further away from her, etc. She wants to be with you and as she matures and spends more time in her kennel, she will settle in. One thing to watch for is if she starts pulling on the kennel gate or material. I don't know if your kennel is chain link, but some dogs will start to pull so hard they damage their teeth.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I do obedience when it comes to taking her out of her kenbel by making her sit and being come before I go in to get her. I also do it with food and treats as well. When on leash or in her indoor crate she listens well and will stay with the crate door open. But with the kennel she just wants to leave.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathangallego26 View Post
Ive been doing this since she was 10 weeks old, and normally it is normally right after I spend around an hour with her then I put her in there to eat or just to get some shade when it is hot. I guess I could try getting her some more toys and giving her a treat before I leave to associate something good for when I have to go.
During this hour are you walking? Playing? Doing fun stuff? Doing obedience?

This almost reads as if she is developing mild separation anxiety. Can you try having her lay quietly somewhere for 15-20 mins before you kennel her and then very calmly put her in and walk away. No treats, no pets, no obedience. NO good byes! Just put her in and walk away. If you must do chores do them later or before without her. If you need to get her food do so before you put her in there.
So let her entertain herself in the yard? while you clean her kennel, get her food, freshen her water, etc.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

Besides walking and playing fetch, what fun do you have with your dog?

It may almost seem like an aside, but an older gentleman recently asked me, "what is the most important aspect of dog training"? My response was the bond you cultivate with your dog! EVERYTHING else you do stems from, and is either facilitated by, or frustrated by a lack of, your bond with your dog! That means spending time, not just active time, but idle time as well. Being silly, playing, AND letting your dog just be a dog with you present (because you being there is VERY important for them, regardless of the breed, but for GSDs even more so!). I think people underestimate the POWER of this, because it's not such an active and for some folks not so intuitive a thing, but IMHO it's much more important than any other training you'll ever do.

And if you truly establish a strong bond, with any dog, all training for any purpose will go much more smoothly. It's worth the effort, it has HUGE benefits for both of you, and best of all it's easy and fun!

OP, another thing to consider is that since your dog is still young, you take her out to play and walk just before putting her in the kennel. Try building in a little relaxation time after the walk and the play to let her calm down before kenneling her. Just sit with her in the yard for a few minutes, calmly, giving her a better chance to switch gears. You can't train a dog not to be a dog, but if you can imagine the world from their perspective, sometimes it can be easier to alleviate the tension between your, and her, reality!

And from your other thread, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't treat her behavior as an issue you can train her out if using an e-collar! E-collars are great training tools, but here I think a little perspective and some subtle changes in your current routine will benefit you both.

In general think of training as eliciting and rewarding desired behavior, not as a means of "stopping an undesired behavior". There are exceptions of course, but the perspective above will get you further faster...again, in my opinion! Good luck, and enjoy your your dog, first and foremost!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Yes during the hour we play a combo of fetch and tug for about 25 minutes. I also do some obedience with her. She gets tired and then we go for a 25 minute walk where I work on her heeling and sitting when I stop. Sometimes I let her sniff around and then we go back to heeling. After the walk I put hwr in her kennel but after i take her collar off she will just wait at the gate and try to bolt if i open it. So I have to hold her back and when I finally get out she jumps on the gate and whines and barks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page