8 month old wont listen when anyone else is around - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

8 month old wont listen when anyone else is around

So my 8 month old female, Delta, does very well when I am with her alone. She still ocasionally nips my legs or hands but much less now then she used to. She also is quite calm on the leash and will heel at my left side and sit when I stop. As long as I'm alone. Anytime she sees another person or dog she begins to pull ahead and won't even bother to look at me. It is very annoying and nakes it hard to control her wherever other people are. I try redirecting with treats and turning around while walking to turn her around but then she will just keep looking backward and not walking. And, if we do approach someone she wants to jump on them and mouth their arms and hands. I just dont know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:18 AM
Crowned Member

Time to reel in adolescence with a prong collar. Check out the Leerburg videos on how to size and use it safely. At the same time find a good trainer who is willing to use the training that fits the dog.
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Master Member

Learn how to use a prong as W.D. stated and if she will sit heel and sit at your side without others around, find someone to help you by appearing from around a building or some other place where they are out of site from a distance. If the dog breaks the sit correct her and you can reinforce the correct response with food and praise. Have the person go back out of sight and repeat. Then gradually decrease the distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thats the ting, i have been using prong and when she lunges I say stop and give a little pop, but it still doesn't seem to deter her very much, I don't want to pop the leash to hard because im scated to damage anything. But I will try what you have suggested and gradually have soneone get closer as she begins to learn. Thank you guys.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

At his stage in her training I wouldn't have her sit when seeing a stranger but keeping her active instead in order to focus on you. In a sit she will have too much time to get too worked up. Also I don't give a command before the "pop" as you will be marking the wrong behavior with "Stop!" Instead, as soon as she focuses on you, in that very second, you can tell her "Leave It!
Did you watch the Leerburg video?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM

it seems you need help with timing and perhaps some unintended back chaining. There is no meeting of strangers until she passes them calmly. I made the mistake of rewarding my gal after she settled after she jumped. She back chained this as if thinking, "see stranger-bark and jump- sit nicely- get treat" OOPs, it took a trainer watching me to catch it. Now if she sees a stranger and reacts we turn around and around until she looks at me and then we move on. If she sees a stranger and responds calmly and with good manners, then she gets rewarded.

It worked for us. It is worth a try. Getting another set of eyes watching you two in action will probably help even more.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok I see, and I will try to keep her moving instead of sitting. Thank you guys for the suggestions.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Crowned Member

Leave it is a great command to learn first under no distractions and then with distractions. A correction if they don’t listen.
https://youtu.be/asVQYYSWPJc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

Imho, the collar pop has to happen before the lunge, when her muscles tense, forward shift in weight, ears tuning in etc. Maybe you are focusing on what she is looking at rather than what her body is doing thus missing the precise moment for a correction. It took a while for me to understand my boy's body language but once I did, catching the "I'm about ready to react" body language stage required a lot less collar pop force and more willingness to comply with my directions/commands.

Fwiw, once I became really in tune with what his body was telling me and also the clarity of what can be expected if he did this rather than that, it became a lot easier.

Ultimately, I wanted him to be able to make the right choice on his own. It is achievable, but it does take understanding and communication between you and her.

I would also pair a food reward with verbal and touch praise. A scritch under the chin or behind the ears, any sweet spot she has for good behavior. This will help the "feel good" hormones kick in. This last sentence is just my own theory but that's what I did for my boy and it seemed to help a lot.

Just giving some personal info concerning the prong while we were working through his reactivity.

Keep at it, find a trainer you trust, pay attention to your girl as she will tell you what methods work best for her as it will be the method that gets her to behave appropriately with out dousing her spirit.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathangallego26 View Post
Thats the ting, i have been using prong and when she lunges I say stop and give a little pop, but it still doesn't seem to deter her very much, I don't want to pop the leash to hard because im scated to damage anything. But I will try what you have suggested and gradually have soneone get closer as she begins to learn. Thank you guys.

An ineffective, nagging correction will just make things worse. Where is the collar fitted around her neck and how tight is it? What size are the prongs? Do you have it on the live ring only or both rings? The advantage of a prong collar over a choke chain is that it is much safer in that it evenly distributes pressure around the dog's neck unlike a choke chain, so you are very unlikely to cause any physical damage. There has to be slack in the leash, a quick, sharp pop, and then immediately slack again. If you kind of pull the collar into what you think is a pop, you are actually creating opposition reflex which will cause the dog to pull harder toward the other person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page